Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Calling all D-line gurus

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Of the teams currently ranked in the top 5 in overall team defense, only one of them (Seattle) runs a 4-3 defense. The other 4 (San Francisco, Houston, Dallas, and Pittsburgh...yes, doom-and-gloomers...we are ranked 5th at the present time) all run a 3-4 defense.
    Furthermore, if you looked at a pre-snap photo of the Seattle defense, their front looks a lot like a 3-4...

With their stand-up "Elephant" DE on the weak side and the Strong Side LB really close to the LoS, you would be hard pressed to make a distinction...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    It's not superior; it can be - all depends on if you have the right players. But I will say this: with the 4-3 you can draft players who already play the position you need them for, not having to retrain so many players - that's what sucks about the 3-4. Also, you must find a stud NT or the whole thing fails, and we are beginning to see that with Hampton out of his prime. Once you lose a true 3-4 NT, the whole thing collapses.
    Thank you. That has been my point all along. It is a issue about replenishing the talent and getting them in the field faster contributing. Not who who is standing up and who is in a three point stance. There is too much risk in sustaining the 3-4 which is why you have to keep the veterans you guessed right on that you can convert for so long which is where we are now.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"