Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Ta'amu ever get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Isn't that what we train our DL to do, occupy blockers????? Why go after the QB?
    you gotta give Ta'amu some time to learn that he's not supposed to you know, go after the QB. when he sacked the QB in training camp Ta'amu was scolded and quickly corrected that he's not supposed to do such a thing.

He'll be a monster in our 4 - 3 D.
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

Of course, there is no empirical evidence suggesting that DTs develop faster in a 4-3. In fact, the only person on the Steelers D right now who started as a rookie? Casey Hampton. And Hampton is still here, as is McClendon, who many clamor for.

Rookies, especially 4th round picks, rarely start on teams that made the playoffs in the previous year or have playoff aspirations.

And Casey didn't start until the 6th game...

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    I can see a timeshare for McLendon and Ta'Amu in upcoming years were they are 1 and 1a (Steve on passing downs and Alameda on running downs) unlike in the past where Casey was the clear #1 and Hokie was the clear #2.

I am hoping his career trajectory is similar to that of Red Bryant with Seattle. He didn't play much at all his first two years in the league after being drafted in the 4th round. He developed into one of the best run stuffers in the league.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I am hoping his career trajectory is similar to that of Red Bryant with Seattle. He didn't play much at all his first two years in the league after being drafted in the 4th round. He developed into one of the best run stuffers in the league.
    I know we have an obsession with run stuffing but is that really what will beat us in the future. Wouldn't it be far more importnat to be the best pass defense and lead the leads in sacks versus having run stuffers. How many teams in this league right know are winning games with the run?
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

I know we have an obsession with run stuffing but is that really what will beat us in the future. Wouldn't it be far more importnat to be the best pass defense and lead the leads in sacks versus having run stuffers. How many teams in this league right know are winning games with the run?
    You mean teams like the 5-0 Texans and 4-1 49ers? Look at the standings. With the exception of the AZ Cardinals (and maybe the Falcons), every first place team right now has a strong running game.

The death of the running game has been greatly exaggerated. Being able to run and stop the run still matters, especially in the AFC North.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    We led the league in pass defense JUST LAST YEAR (not to mention total defense and scoring defense also) and you've been suggesting we blow that up and start over for years now.

Stuffing the run on early downs leads to 3rd and longs. 3rd and longs lead to sacks, turnovers, and poor third down conversion percentages. This in turn keeps the defense fresh. So yes, this is still very important.