Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Say hello to 1999...again

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026

    Say hello to 1999...again

    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/pit/1999.htm

    If it's not this year, it will be next, unless something is done differently. In 1999 we had lots of defenders, coming off huge contracts, and laying a wet turd that stunk from downtown to Butler. Cowher and company put too much loyalty into former great players who were late 20's or over 30 and it resulted in a 6-10 turd season. Kirkland, Gildon, Scott, Steed, Staat, Oldham, Deewayne Washington, Kordell, et el, just stunk the joint up. But Cowher was insistent his "buddy buddy" players were retained, and, in many cases, got new big deals, since they were such buddies and all. They rewarded him with a 6-10 stink turd season. Football is a business; treat it as one, unless you are an idiot. Be buddies with your college mates. Be professional with your staff (in this case, football players). That doesn't mean you have to be a jerk to the players, but don't mistake being on the same team for being from the same family. Only fools do that when it comes to business. I remember when a country bumpkin told me, "They say don't go into business with friends, well I say that's BS." The same guy promptly went out of business within 2 months of saying that.

    If this team doesn't watch it, they are looking at 1999 all over again.

    Back then Dan was too old to be running things, and ran it as a grandfather figure. (There is a reason there are not many 80-year-old CEOs out there - it's time to play with grandkids, not run a billion dollar biz.) Maybe now with the more "with it" Art 2, we won't suffer this same fate from being buddies and treating the players as family members. We can only hope so.

  2. #2
    I agree and disagree. We are certainly aging but who are we going to replace aging players with? Who has stepped up? Who starts instead of Foote? Who starts instead of Clark? Who can fill the shoes of Troy? Who can step in for Harrison? We have no answers to any of those questions, and that is why we are not moving on...or getting younger on D.

    We have drafted poorly on D lately. I think Heyward will pan out...we may have gotten lucky with Allen...but other than that who have we drafted in the last 3 seasons on D worth a hill o' beans? And there lies the problem.

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I agree and disagree. We are certainly aging but who are we going to replace aging players with? Who has stepped up? Who starts instead of Foote? Who starts instead of Clark? Who can fill the shoes of Troy? Who can step in for Harrison? We have no answers to any of those questions, and that is why we are not moving on...or getting younger on D.

    We have drafted poorly on D lately. I think Heyward will pan out...we may have gotten lucky with Allen...but other than that who have we drafted in the last 3 seasons on D worth a hill o' beans? And there lies the problem.
    Exactly my thoughts.
    We've drafted two 1st Rounders at the DL.
    Timmons and Woodley are young and were given extensions.
    Can anyone really say giving Harrison, Polamalu & Taylor extensions was a mistake at the time.

    You can't predict injuries ... with today's technology a guy should be able to play until into their mid 30s at a high level.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,179
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Back then Dan was too old to be running things, and ran it as a grandfather figure. (There is a reason there are not many 80-year-old CEOs out there - it's time to play with grandkids, not run a billion dollar biz.) Maybe now with the more "with it" Art 2, we won't suffer this same fate from being buddies and treating the players as family members. We can only hope so.
    One could, and some have, say the same thing about 75 year old Defensive Coordinators
    Last edited by Oviedo; 10-09-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  5. #5
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,099
    Say hello to 1999 again? Ah...jeez...I was just starting to get used to the idea of the world ending in 2012 due to the Mayan Prophecies, and now I have to worry about the world ending due to Y2K as well?

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler Jigawatts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Around The Way, OH
    Posts
    2,431
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Say hello to 1999 again? Ah...jeez...I was just starting to get used to the idea of the world ending in 2012 due to the Mayan Prophecies, and now I have to worry about the world ending due to Y2K as well?
    INITECH is so busy with the Y2K bug that they'll never notice the deficiencies of our pass rush.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid;

    If it's not this year, it will be next, unless something is done differently. In 1999 we had lots of defenders, coming off huge contracts, and laying a wet turd that stunk from downtown to Butler. Cowher and company put too much loyalty into former [I
    great players who were late 20's or over 30 [/I]and it resulted in a 6-10 turd season. Kirkland, Gildon, Scott, Steed, Staat, Oldham, Deewayne Washington, Kordell, et el, just stunk the joint up. But Cowher was insistent his "buddy buddy" players were retained, and, in many cases, got new big deals, since they were such buddies and all.
    I completely disagree with this assessment of the 1999 season - in fact your reasoning has no merit what so ever.

    First the players you named:

    Kirkland only played one more season in Pittsburgh, and he was 28 years old.
    Gildon was only 27 years old -- and would go to the Pro Bowl the next three consecutive years.
    DeWayne Washington was 27 years old -- and didn't miss much time over the next few years he played in Pittsburgh
    Chad Scott was only 25 years old and was in his 3rd season (in a way 2nd season as he had missed 199
    Steed (30) and Oldham (31) -- 1999 was their last year with the team!
    Staat --- this is by far the oddest player you added...he was 23 years old in 1999, he was in only his 2nd season, and he was on the team only one more year.

    And finally yes - Kordell Stewart, age 27 -- will people ever stop complaining about Kordell Stewart?? They tried to replace him several times -- they couldn't find anyone better (QB's were very hard to find in the late 90's) but he would still manage to go to the Pro Bowl 2 seasons later.

    The 1999 team didn't suffer because of age to their "star" players -- and it didn't suffer because Cowher was too "buddy-buddy" with players (obviously as many of these players didn't stay long after 1999) --- or because Dan was too old --- there were a number of reasons.

    Key problems were -

    The loss of Dirt to injury,
    Kevin Gilbride coming in as Offensive Coordinator -- and attempting to make Kordell something he wasn't.
    Tom Donohue also was "let go" at the end of 1999 as Dir. of Football Operations.
    And finally Troy Edwards was a 1st round bust -- he lasted only two more seasons in Pittsburgh --- and then we let him go.

    A lack of cold blooded business was not in shortage at this time --- a lack of a star quality QB or a Coordinator who knew how to use Kordell was.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonbull View Post
    I completely disagree with this assessment of the 1999 season - in fact your reasoning has no merit what so ever.

    First the players you named:

    Kirkland only played one more season in Pittsburgh, and he was 28 years old.
    Gildon was only 27 years old -- and would go to the Pro Bowl the next three consecutive years.
    DeWayne Washington was 27 years old -- and didn't miss much time over the next few years he played in Pittsburgh
    Chad Scott was only 25 years old and was in his 3rd season (in a way 2nd season as he had missed 199
    Steed (30) and Oldham (31) -- 1999 was their last year with the team!
    Staat --- this is by far the oddest player you added...he was 23 years old in 1999, he was in only his 2nd season, and he was on the team only one more year.

    And finally yes - Kordell Stewart, age 27 -- will people ever stop complaining about Kordell Stewart?? They tried to replace him several times -- they couldn't find anyone better (QB's were very hard to find in the late 90's) but he would still manage to go to the Pro Bowl 2 seasons later.

    The 1999 team didn't suffer because of age to their "star" players -- and it didn't suffer because Cowher was too "buddy-buddy" with players (obviously as many of these players didn't stay long after 1999) --- or because Dan was too old --- there were a number of reasons.

    Key problems were -

    The loss of Dirt to injury,
    Kevin Gilbride coming in as Offensive Coordinator -- and attempting to make Kordell something he wasn't.
    Tom Donohue also was "let go" at the end of 1999 as Dir. of Football Operations.
    And finally Troy Edwards was a 1st round bust -- he lasted only two more seasons in Pittsburgh --- and then we let him go.

    A lack of cold blooded business was not in shortage at this time --- a lack of a star quality QB or a Coordinator who knew how to use Kordell was.
    Agreed......and I never bought into all the BS about Cowher demanding big money deals for players because they were his "buds". Even the ones that eventually were a little long in the tooth.

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,875
    Huh? I think we have made some decent moves to shore up the D. DL just needs to trust these young guys and turn them loose.

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonbull View Post
    I completely disagree with this assessment of the 1999 season - in fact your reasoning has no merit what so ever.

    First the players you named:

    Kirkland only played one more season in Pittsburgh, and he was 28 years old.
    Gildon was only 27 years old -- and would go to the Pro Bowl the next three consecutive years.
    DeWayne Washington was 27 years old -- and didn't miss much time over the next few years he played in Pittsburgh
    Chad Scott was only 25 years old and was in his 3rd season (in a way 2nd season as he had missed 199
    Steed (30) and Oldham (31) -- 1999 was their last year with the team!
    Staat --- this is by far the oddest player you added...he was 23 years old in 1999, he was in only his 2nd season, and he was on the team only one more year.

    And finally yes - Kordell Stewart, age 27 -- will people ever stop complaining about Kordell Stewart?? They tried to replace him several times -- they couldn't find anyone better (QB's were very hard to find in the late 90's) but he would still manage to go to the Pro Bowl 2 seasons later.

    The 1999 team didn't suffer because of age to their "star" players -- and it didn't suffer because Cowher was too "buddy-buddy" with players (obviously as many of these players didn't stay long after 1999) --- or because Dan was too old --- there were a number of reasons.

    Key problems were -

    The loss of Dirt to injury,
    Kevin Gilbride coming in as Offensive Coordinator -- and attempting to make Kordell something he wasn't.
    Tom Donohue also was "let go" at the end of 1999 as Dir. of Football Operations.
    And finally Troy Edwards was a 1st round bust -- he lasted only two more seasons in Pittsburgh --- and then we let him go.

    A lack of cold blooded business was not in shortage at this time --- a lack of a star quality QB or a Coordinator who knew how to use Kordell was.
    Wow, the original poster must feel really silly right now!!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •