Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What was Tomlin thinking?!?!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Because Tomlin is buddy buddy with his players. Thats why guys want to play for him. Is it not that obvious?

Sometimes the best coaches and the best managers are not the "cool" dudes. You don't have to be cool to be a good coach and being "cool" or "liked" by your players does not make you a good coach either.

I think Tomlin walks that fine line of almost being to buddy buddy with his players. You need to have that clear separation no matter what.
    I.e. Tom Coughlin, end of story

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    It's been pretty well publicized that Coughlin lightened up for the Giants...

[URL]http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/02/giants_tom_coughlin_used_kurt.html[/URL]

It's a pretty good read...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    When I see the Rooneys complain about our coach then I will pay attention. It was the right thing to do and it worked out. Are you mad that it worked? Whats the problem? I cant remember the last time that kicking it on 3rd worked out or backfired. Kicking on 3rd leaves them time on the clock. Kicking on 4th doesnt. Hmmmm. Not hard to figure out what is the right decison.
    Actually, I seem to remember a game about 10 years ago where the Steelers attempted a crucial FG on 3rd down. I can't remember who they were playing, but I think Norm Johnson was the kicker. The FG was blocked and the Steelers recovered the ball. Since the FG attempt had not crossed the line of scrimmage they were able to try again on 4th down made the kick and won the game. It may not happen often, but the smart move is to kick on 3rd down. On Sunday the Steelers had control of the clock, they could have kicked on 3rd down with 9 or 10 seconds left. Make the FG, do a squib kickoff, and the Eagles may have a second or two left for one play from their 30 yard line or so. The OP is absolutely correct, kicking on 3rd down is the smart play.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Parcells, Walsh, Noll, Belichick ... there is a long list of coaches like that.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Kicking the football out of bounds has to be the more stupidist dumber thing I have ever heard...

and Vick can throw a football 60 yards with the flick of a wrist. The longest throw by Vick without pads is 74 yards

We won, bashing Tomlin after a win is more dumber.

lol... Add pads and 10 yards after he drops back to pass. In that case, he doesn't even reach the endzone.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Kicking on 3rd down is about as brilliant as "icing the kicker w/ a Timeout"

I've been watching football for 30 yrs and can count on 1 hand the amount of games lost on a "bad snap"
    It's not even comparable. "Icing the kicker w/a Timeout" is like playing Russian roulette.

Kicking on 3rd down is precautionary. It's a BACKUP plan. Is it that difficult to figure out? Why do you have a 2nd QB active on game days? Ding Ding Ding..... we have a winner! Because he's a backup just in case your starter gets hurt. Kicking on 3rd down is YOUR BACKUP PLAN. There might not be a bad snap 99 out of 100 game winning field goals. You do it because of it'll save your butt on that one. period.

Add in the fact that the weather wasn't great and it's even more obvious....

My question to Tomlin would be...... If it was the Super Bowl, would you have kicked the FG on 3rd down. If the answer is yes (and it probably would be) then his decision on Sunday is even moreso moronic.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    It wasn't just about trying to get 2 or 3 more yards. I thought they were trying to position the ball in the middle of the field where Suisham felt most comfortable. I, for one, loved not leaving a single second on the clock. Kick to win and head off!
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I agree. Why bother to leave the Eagles any time left on the clock? You want the kick to be the game ... win or lose.

Kicking on 3rd down was a Cowher thing. He is probably the only coach that I can think of that did that consistantly.
    Agree with you guys. Nothing wrong with the move.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    Agree with you guys. Nothing wrong with the move.
    Nothing wrong with the move? Seriously? Absolutely incredible.

So, this is the scenario....

It's the Super Bowl and we are down by 2.

It's 3rd and 10 from the 20 with 30 seconds left.

The Steelers run the ball to make it 4th and 8 from the 18 and run the clock down to :02 seconds.

The holder bobbles the ball and takes a sack. Turnover on downs and no time left. The Steelers lose the Super Bowl.

Administrator

User Info Menu

A bobbled field goal? Yeah, that'll never happen in a critical moment....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    It's been pretty well publicized that Coughlin lightened up for the Giants...

[URL]http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/02/giants_tom_coughlin_used_kurt.html[/URL]

It's a pretty good read...

The team was tuning him out before he lightened up. 5 minutes early?