Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 70

Thread: What was Tomlin thinking?!?!

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The team was tuning him out before he lightened up. 5 minutes early?
    Exactly...

    He changes his coaching style to a degree and now has two SB rings...

    There is a correlation...

  2. #42
    All this passion over something that didn't have anything to do with the outcome of the game. If they would have lost I could understand calling Tomlin out, but they won and still. Ridiculous. Just looking for anything to criticize In an overly cautionary world, there is always a layer of protection to add, to almost anything. But in reality, 99% of the time the snaps and holds are good in the pros. Showing some confidence maybe was the psychologically right thing to do. What if he kicks on third down, wouldn't that damage the psyche of the snapper, the holder and kicker because they would feel like they weren't being trusted. Maybe that would cause them to flub the snap or in the future, play on their minds. Got to give that some consideration also.

  3. #43
    Pro Bowler eniparadoxgma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kensucky
    Posts
    2,093
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Nothing wrong with the move? Seriously? Absolutely incredible.

    So, this is the scenario....

    It's the Super Bowl and we are down by 2.

    It's 3rd and 10 from the 20 with 30 seconds left.

    The Steelers run the ball to make it 4th and 8 from the 18 and run the clock down to :02 seconds.

    The holder bobbles the ball and takes a sack. Turnover on downs and no time left. The Steelers lose the Super Bowl.
    It's not "incredible". It's actually the norm.

    So, this is the scenario....

    It's the Super Bowl and we are down by 2.

    It's 3rd and 10 from the 20 with 30 seconds left.

    Instead of running the ball to get it to the center of the field we kick it anyway...and miss it...

    OR

    We make the field goal, take the lead, give the ball back and they run it back for a TD...




    I'm not sure I understand your point. Letting the clock run down and kicking it for the win is the norm. There's a reason no one has been talking about this.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

  4. #44
    Not a Tomlin fan for several reasons, but I like the call. More so because it killed the clock than anything.

  5. #45
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,507
    Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    It's not "incredible". It's actually the norm.

    So, this is the scenario....

    It's the Super Bowl and we are down by 2.

    It's 3rd and 10 from the 20 with 30 seconds left.

    Instead of running the ball to get it to the center of the field we kick it anyway...and miss it...

    OR

    We make the field goal, take the lead, give the ball back and they run it back for a TD...




    I'm not sure I understand your point. Letting the clock run down and kicking it for the win is the norm. There's a reason no one has been talking about this.
    Yea. Because when we win, the Steelers blinders are put back on.

    You kick it on 3rd down. By the time the play is run and the clock stops there is no more than 25 seconds left. By the time the squid kick occurs there is less than 20 seconds on the clock. Bad problem solving.... Bad risk management..... Bad "what if" analysis by the coaching staff.

    And for the record, that run play hardly did ANYTHING to center the ball.

  6. #46
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    All this passion over something that didn't have anything to do with the outcome of the game. If they would have lost I could understand calling Tomlin out, but they won and still. Ridiculous. Just looking for anything to criticize In an overly cautionary world, there is always a layer of protection to add, to almost anything. But in reality, 99% of the time the snaps and holds are good in the pros. Showing some confidence maybe was the psychologically right thing to do. What if he kicks on third down, wouldn't that damage the psyche of the snapper, the holder and kicker because they would feel like they weren't being trusted. Maybe that would cause them to flub the snap or in the future, play on their minds. Got to give that some consideration also.
    So if we win the team is suddenly perfect? The next week they lose and then it's ok to criticize..

  7. #47
    Pro Bowler eniparadoxgma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kensucky
    Posts
    2,093
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Yea. Because when we win, the Steelers blinders are put back on.
    And if we'd done it your way and it worked out the blinders are put back on.

    You kick it on 3rd down. By the time the play is run and the clock stops there is no more than 25 seconds left. By the time the squid kick occurs there is less than 20 seconds on the clock. Bad problem solving.... Bad risk management..... Bad "what if" analysis by the coaching staff.

    And for the record, that run play hardly did ANYTHING to center the ball.
    You would kick it on 3rd down. Obviously our coaching staff...and most coaching staffs considering letting the time run down and then kicking it is the norm disagree with you. I mean, can you present some type of evidence that most teams kick it on 3rd down in those circumstances or are you taking umbrage with most every coach out there?

    And whether or not that run play did anything to center the ball, I was under the impression that that was part of the motivation for it.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

  8. #48
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,507
    Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    And if we'd done it your way and it worked out the blinders are put back on.



    You would kick it on 3rd down. Obviously our coaching staff...and most coaching staffs considering letting the time run down and then kicking it is the norm disagree with you. I mean, can you present some type of evidence that most teams kick it on 3rd down in those circumstances or are you taking umbrage with most every coach out there?

    And whether or not that run play did anything to center the ball, I was under the impression that that was part of the motivation for it.
    It was worthless... It was a dive play. The ball was basically already centered so their wasn't any motivation outside of running down the clock. And if that is the case, why didn't they just tell Ben to take a knee or take 1 step to the left and then take a knee. That is a safer play and quite idiotic that at a minimal, that wasn't the call.

    I don't need to waste my time and prove something that is some unbelievable obvious it's pathetic I have to explain this.

    Most teams would do that if they are given the opportunity. I think I've seen Belicheck do it. It's not a scenario that happens every week. Normally teams are rushing to the LOS to spike the ball to kick a game winning field goal or are racing the clock in another way. We had a perfect situation to play it smart, play with backup plan, but still play to win. We played to win and we won bu that wasn't the smart play call.

  9. #49
    Pro Bowler eniparadoxgma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kensucky
    Posts
    2,093
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    It was worthless... It was a dive play. The ball was basically already centered so their wasn't any motivation outside of running down the clock. And if that is the case, why didn't they just tell Ben to take a knee or take 1 step to the left and then take a knee. That is a safer play and quite idiotic that at a minimal, that wasn't the call.
    I saw it brought up that they could have been trying to get it closer to the middle of the field for the kicker. If that wasn't the case then that wasn't the case.

    I don't need to waste my time and prove something that is some unbelievable obvious it's pathetic I have to explain this.

    Most teams would do that if they are given the opportunity. I think I've seen Belicheck do it. It's not a scenario that happens every week. Normally teams are rushing to the LOS to spike the ball to kick a game winning field goal or are racing the clock in another way. We had a perfect situation to play it smart, play with backup plan, but still play to win. We played to win and we won bu that wasn't the smart play call.
    Maybe you're right. Maybe you're not. I certainly don't think it's "unbelievable obvious" and "pathetic" you have to explain this considering it would seem the majority do NOT agree with you. You don't think it was the smart play. I disagree.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

  10. #50
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Woooooo!!!
    Posts
    2,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Yea kick on 3rd down and leave Philly with 30 sec, along with the way the defense is playing and kicking on 3rd is more dumber than this post. It took Oakland about a min to get in field goal range, with no name receivers I think the Eagles offense have better receivers .
    That was my thought as well. he didn't want to leave them ANY time. It WAS a risk, but so was giving the ball back.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •