Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What was Tomlin thinking?!?!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    Agree with you guys. Nothing wrong with the move.
    Nothing wrong with the move? Seriously? Absolutely incredible.

So, this is the scenario....

It's the Super Bowl and we are down by 2.

It's 3rd and 10 from the 20 with 30 seconds left.

The Steelers run the ball to make it 4th and 8 from the 18 and run the clock down to :02 seconds.

The holder bobbles the ball and takes a sack. Turnover on downs and no time left. The Steelers lose the Super Bowl.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Nothing wrong with the move? Seriously? Absolutely incredible.

The Steelers run the ball to make it 4th and 8 from the 18 and run the clock down to :02 seconds.

The holder bobbles the ball and takes a sack. Turnover on downs and no time left. The Steelers lose the Super Bowl.
    It's not "incredible". It's actually the norm.

Instead of running the ball to get it to the center of the field we kick it anyway...and miss it...

OR

We make the field goal, take the lead, give the ball back and they run it back for a TD...

I'm not sure I understand your point. Letting the clock run down and kicking it for the win is the norm. There's a reason no one has been talking about this.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yea. Ask the Giants about kicking to the Eagles the last play of the game.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Administrator

User Info Menu

A bobbled field goal? Yeah, that'll never happen in a critical moment....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

All this passion over something that didn't have anything to do with the outcome of the game. If they would have lost I could understand calling Tomlin out, but they won and still. Ridiculous. Just looking for anything to criticize In an overly cautionary world, there is always a layer of protection to add, to almost anything. But in reality, 99% of the time the snaps and holds are good in the pros. Showing some confidence maybe was the psychologically right thing to do. What if he kicks on third down, wouldn't that damage the psyche of the snapper, the holder and kicker because they would feel like they weren't being trusted. Maybe that would cause them to flub the snap or in the future, play on their minds. Got to give that some consideration also.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    All this passion over something that didn't have anything to do with the outcome of the game. If they would have lost I could understand calling Tomlin out, but they won and still. Ridiculous. Just looking for anything to criticize In an overly cautionary world, there is always a layer of protection to add, to almost anything. But in reality, 99% of the time the snaps and holds are good in the pros. Showing some confidence maybe was the psychologically right thing to do. What if he kicks on third down, wouldn't that damage the psyche of the snapper, the holder and kicker because they would feel like they weren't being trusted. Maybe that would cause them to flub the snap or in the future, play on their minds. Got to give that some consideration also.
    So if we win the team is suddenly perfect? The next week they lose and then it's ok to criticize..

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    So if we win the team is suddenly perfect? The next week they lose and then it's ok to criticize..
    Who said the team is perfect. No Steeler team has ever been perfect. Perfection is not possible. The legendary teams of the 70s were far from perfect. However, I do think making a big issue of not kicking on 3rd down, when they won is silly. Name me some instances, when the snap and hold were messed up in the pros and caused a game to be lost. Kickers have missed FGs but usually they are longer ones. This was a relative chip shot from 30 yards, which is about a sure a play as you get in the world of sports where nothing is 100% for sure.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Who said the team is perfect. No Steeler team has ever been perfect. Perfection is not possible. The legendary teams of the 70s were far from perfect. However, I do think making a big issue of not kicking on 3rd down, when they won is silly. Name me some instances, when the snap and hold were messed up in the pros and caused a game to be lost. Kickers have missed FGs but usually they are longer ones. This was a relative chip shot from 30 yards, which is about a sure a play as you get in the world of sports where nothing is 100% for sure.
    Like I said... It's a backup plan and risk mitigation. Read my previous post about everyday backup plans that are implemented that may NEVER be necessary but you take them for granted.

Did you not watch the video I posted a couple pages back? Yeah, a bobbled snap NEVER happens in a critical moment (cough, cough, Tony Romo in the playoffs)

Legend

User Info Menu

Didn't WE also (under Cowher) have a bad FG attempt, maybe even lost the game, once? I can picture it, sunny day, right hash mark, just don't know the other details.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Backup

User Info Menu

Not a Tomlin fan for several reasons, but I like the call. More so because it killed the clock than anything.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]