Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What was Tomlin thinking?!?!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Maybe... it's a legit argument.

My point is, backup plans are common and necessary. If it's easy, harmless and free... then it's a non brainer. This was a easy and harmless risk mitigation that IMO should have been implemented.

Why do people have insurance? You may not get into an auto accident for 10 years. But when you do, you have insurance for risk management to you and the other party involved.

Why do you backup your computer files? It's rare a hard drive will fail. But if it does, you'll be happy you backed up your files.

Why do buildings have emergency exits, sprinklers, and fire alarms. The building may NEVER have a fire. But if it does, there is risk mitigation implemented.

Why does software and IT systems have disaster recovery implemented? It's very costly and may never get used. Why? Backups for risk mitigation.

Why do elevators have malfunction and error handling implemented? Risk mitigation.

Why does the military implement backup plans on sometimes the simplest of missions? Why do people train their coworkers to do their own job? Risk mitigation incase you are not available whether it's due to injury, vacation, or whatever...

These are ALL examples of backup plans just incase things don't go as planned. Some are costly, time consuming and complicated.

Tomlin could have implemented a very simple backup plan for risk mitigation at zero expense.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene View Post
    That was my thought as well. he didn't want to leave them ANY time. It WAS a risk, but so was giving the ball back.
    Then that is really really sad. I know our defense has struggled lately but you aren't even talking 30 seconds here. By the time the field goal is clicked that will be around 5 seconds off the clock. Then, kick a line drive squid kick. That is at least another 5 seconds. You think Tomlin believes our defense would allow Philly to score in under 20 seconds?

Backup

User Info Menu

Maybe our D really is that bad these days. Remember when we all used to complain about how Cowher would start "turtling' as soon as the Steelers got a 10 point lead? But Cowher was something like 97-1-1 with a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter. This year the Steelers have already lost a game where they had a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter, and to the crappy Raiders at that. And they blew a 6 point 4th quarter lead against the Eagles on Sunday. Kind of has me pining for the good old turting days.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    So if we win the team is suddenly perfect? The next week they lose and then it's ok to criticize..
    Who said the team is perfect. No Steeler team has ever been perfect. Perfection is not possible. The legendary teams of the 70s were far from perfect. However, I do think making a big issue of not kicking on 3rd down, when they won is silly. Name me some instances, when the snap and hold were messed up in the pros and caused a game to be lost. Kickers have missed FGs but usually they are longer ones. This was a relative chip shot from 30 yards, which is about a sure a play as you get in the world of sports where nothing is 100% for sure.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ter1230_4 View Post
    Maybe our D really is that bad these days. Remember when we all used to complain about how Cowher would start "turtling' as soon as the Steelers got a 10 point lead? But Cowher was something like 97-1-1 with a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter. This year the Steelers have already lost a game where they had a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter, and to the crappy Raiders at that. And they blew a 6 point 4th quarter lead against the Eagles on Sunday. Kind of has me pining for the good old turting days.
    that record is for 11 point leads....

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Who said the team is perfect. No Steeler team has ever been perfect. Perfection is not possible. The legendary teams of the 70s were far from perfect. However, I do think making a big issue of not kicking on 3rd down, when they won is silly. Name me some instances, when the snap and hold were messed up in the pros and caused a game to be lost. Kickers have missed FGs but usually they are longer ones. This was a relative chip shot from 30 yards, which is about a sure a play as you get in the world of sports where nothing is 100% for sure.
    Like I said... It's a backup plan and risk mitigation. Read my previous post about everyday backup plans that are implemented that may NEVER be necessary but you take them for granted.

Did you not watch the video I posted a couple pages back? Yeah, a bobbled snap NEVER happens in a critical moment (cough, cough, Tony Romo in the playoffs)

Legend

User Info Menu

Didn't WE also (under Cowher) have a bad FG attempt, maybe even lost the game, once? I can picture it, sunny day, right hash mark, just don't know the other details.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Didn't WE also (under Cowher) have a bad FG attempt, maybe even lost the game, once? I can picture it, sunny day, right hash mark, just don't know the other details.
    It's happened multiple times over the years. It's not common but obviously but it happens. Multiple things have happened...

The kickers timing could be off.

The holder could bobble or drop the ball the ball.

The snap could be bad.

It's happened on multiple occasions.

Remember when Warren got hurt and Harrison was the long snapper and he snapped it over the punters head? That is just as rare but it HAPPENED.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    It's happened multiple times over the years. It's not common but obviously but it happens. Multiple things have happened...

The kickers timing could be off.

The holder could bobble or drop the ball the ball.

The snap could be bad.

It's happened on multiple occasions.

Remember when Warren got hurt and Harrison was the long snapper and he snapped it over the punters head? That is just as rare but it HAPPENED.
    Then why aren't you upset that we didn't kick it on 2nd down? After all, if it happened once it could happen twice. Better yet why not kick it on 1st down? That would lessen the chances of a problem since you would have 4 possible tries to get it right.

Then again, why risk the handoffs and running plays we ran at the end? I mean everyone remembers Herm Edwards claim to fame. Why didn't Tomlin just have Ben take a knee once we got Sushi inside the 50 yard range for his attempt?

How far do you want to take this? I don't think you would find many, if any, head coaches in the NFL that would have a problem with what Tomlin did.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Then why aren't you upset that we didn't kick it on 2nd down? After all, if it happened once it could happen twice. Better yet why not kick it on 1st down? That would lessen the chances of a problem since you would have 4 possible tries to get it right.

Then again, why risk the handoffs and running plays we ran at the end? I mean everyone remembers Herm Edwards claim to fame. Why didn't Tomlin just have Ben take a knee once we got Sushi inside the 50 yard range for his attempt?

How far do you want to take this? I don't think you would find many, if any, head coaches in the NFL that would have a problem with what Tomlin did.
    Disagree ......

The likelihood you bobble a field goal is rare but it happens.... The probability you would do it twice in a row would be extremely rare.

Two words: Statistics, Probability

Maybe Tomlin failed these two topics in school.