Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wallace or Mendy & Sanders?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    after playing all of one game Mendenhall is now our leading rusher for the season...
    Technically, this is incorrect (Redman has 113 yards for the season), but your point is valid.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    RB & 3rd WRs are a dime a dozen. Determining fair market value is key here. If we could sign Wallace for borderline #1/2 WR that he is, and sign Mendenhall for "good RB" value along with Sanders for "good 3rd WR" value--I'd take Wallace EASILY. Deep WRs don't grow on trees.

But I doubt we could get Wallace at that price.
    Seeing the success of Haley's ofense and the potential, do we really need to pay a premium price for a "deep WR?" That is the real determining factor and I think the evidence is probably not.

The real issue does Wallace want to be a Steeler or not? I'm going with the not! The decision is all his.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Seeing the success of Haley's ofense and the potential, do we really need to pay a premium price for a "deep WR?" That is the real determining factor and I think the evidence is probably not.

The real issue does Wallace want to be a Steeler or not? I'm going with the not! The decision is all his.

I think he wants to be a Steeler but for big dollars and that is where his Steeler love ends. For the right amount of money he will want to be someother teams wide receiver. I don't fault him but I am the type ofperson that money isn't everything. I don't think I could spend the kind of money some of these players get in a life time.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

As much as I love what Wallace can do for our offense, if I had to choose between the two (him or Mendy and Sanders) it's Mendy and Sanders all the way. I think the gap in talent and performance between Wallace and our other receivers is much smaller than the gap between Mendy and our other RBs, (as much as I like Redman as a change up back he's no #1).
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Call me crazy, but I'll take Wallace over Mendenhall and Sanders and wouldn't think twice about it. In most 2 for 1 swaps, the one that ends up with the best overall player tends to win that trade.

When you compare Mendenhall's performance to that of Redman and Dwyer, sure...he looks good. But he wasn't able to even get 1000 yards last season despite starting 15 games. That type of production is average at best for an NFL RB. Mendenhall was a day one draft pick...could we get another solid, but not spectacular RB on day two of the draft? Of course, we could.

Sanders has 63 catches for 807 yards and 4 TD's in his entire 28 game NFL career. His best season was his rookie year, when he had 28 catches for 376 yards and 2 TD's in 13 games. Wow. Sanders was a day two draft pick...could we get another #3 wideout who catches 20-something balls for 300-something yards per year on day three of the draft? Of course, we could.

Which one of these three guys is most difficult to replace? The one who has the unique talent that cannot be found multiple times over in every single draft. Talent is worth paying for. Mike Wallace has way outperformed his draft status and rookie contract several times over...you can't even come close to saying the same thing about either Mendenhall or Sanders (and that's without even bringing Mendenhall's recent ACL injury and Sanders' multiple foot injuries into the equation). Mike Wallaces do not grow on trees...Mendenhalls and Sanders do.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Call me crazy, but I'll take Wallace over Mendenhall and Sanders and wouldn't think twice about it.
    in theory, I agree with you.

however, in reality you now have to either be willing to meet Wallace's contactual demand of $11.5 million/year or be willing to franchise him for the next two years which I personally would not want to do.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Mike Wallaces do not grow on trees...Mendenhalls and Sanders do.
    I find that hard to believe. Humans growing on trees sounds more like a plot from a sci-fi novel than something out of reality and I challenge you to present any evidence to support your theory. Because of this obvious twisting of the truth I'm just going to have to go ahead and throw out the rest of your argument.

Seriously though, I agree that Wallace seems to be a more unique talent. However, I think right now Mendy + Sanders help the team more than Wallace alone.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Can I have all 3? I'd like to see this play out first.

I think Haley designed the offense for Mendy. Even after missing 3 games, I wouldn't be surprised if he has his best season under Haley. Time will tell. It's just a suspicion, but I'll wait and see.

I'm gonna wait and see on Sanders too. I'd like to see him get pressed a little more and have to fight some big DBs. He's a work in progress.

Right now, I think Wally's better than the 2 of them by a long shot. But in time, that could change. I'm really big on Sanders' potential and Mendy in this offense.