Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to move on.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    What is really troublesome is how bad is Will Allen that he can't push or provide an option to Mundy????????

Of course we know none of the young guys would ever get a chance to even play a few series. Therein lies part of the problem of why we are so unprepared for the end of Troy's career and therefore must rely on Mundy.
    One may argue that you can't prepare for every hole in the dike, but, regardless, it seems the team fell too in love with every old guy they got and didn't do enough to prepare for their absence. You know damn well there is a love affair between Troy, DL and Tomlin, and they weren't about to insult him my bringing in a high draft pick for his position. In hindsight, our top 4 picks are likely to do little or nothing (Maybe DeCastro will end up helping) and Rainey is looking like he didn't deserve to be taken any higher than when he was (I know many of us thought he was a steal in the 5th, but so far, not so much.)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    Agreed. And even if they draft an heir-apparent, he'll be 2 years away from starting.
    He doesn't have to be; only in the tricky Dick system does it take 10 years to know how to play in the system.

Legend

User Info Menu

Worilds showed how easy it is to sack an unsuspecting QB when left unblocked. Other than that Worilds didnt show me a thing.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I am just so sick of the "Steeler way" of not letting young players on the field and seeing what they can do. DL is so over the top with his "vets play only" BS. It's holding the team's development back, big time.
    Let's not see the forest for the trees... the "Steeler way" (since LeBeau's been a part of the team, basically since '92) has kept us relevant for basically 20 years straight. Yeah, we had a couple down seasons in there. I doubt any other team, over the last 20 years, can match our winning consistency. So that "way" has merit. You cannot argue with success.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Let's not see the forest for the trees... the "Steeler way" (since LeBeau's been a part of the team, basically since '92) has kept us relevant for basically 20 years straight. Yeah, we had a couple down seasons in there. I doubt any other team, over the last 20 years, can match our winning consistency. So that "way" has merit. You cannot argue with success.
    Using that logic, one could say Green Bay should stay with the "Green Bay way" from the 1950s through 60s and use it from the 1970s on. At some point the "way" becomes outdated. It used to be, the best "way" to get around was a horse buggy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Using that logic, one could say Green Bay should stay with the "Green Bay way" from the 1950s through 60s and use it from the 1970s on. At some point the "way" becomes outdated. It used to be, the best "way" to get around was a horse buggy.
    No because what you are talking about is Dick Lebeau and his adherence to veteran players. Lebeau has basically been with this team since Cowher took over. Green Bay has had a number of regimes come and go through the years, so different philosophies. And besides, they were sorry for basically a couple of decades in their (70's and 80's) so why adher at that point.

The Steelers have been amazingly consistent over Lebeau's tenure, in which he gives vets preferential treatment. Unless you can cite some systemic rule change or something (e.g. adhering to a running game when passing rules changed in the late 90's), why should he change his philosophy now?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal View Post
    I'm sure if you asked the offensive line how they'd feel if Ben got hurt and was out you'd get a similar response. Well, they may not come out and say it, but I'm sure they'd be thinking it. Troy is to the defense, what Ben is to the offense. I'm sure you'd get a similar response if you asked Rats players on how big of an impact it would be to lose Ray Lewis. Some players are more instrumental to their teams than others.
    I highly doubt that. They have won before without Ben. Not so much without Troy. Troy is the BEST SS in the NFL. Might be the best all time. I believe he is better than Lott. Ben is not the best QB in the league nor the best of all time. I think the Steeler players regard Troy Polamalu higher than Ben and this statement proves it. The NFL players (Those who play against us) certainly regard Troy the highest among Steelers, even Deebo and rightfully so.

Legend

User Info Menu

He doesn't have to be; only in the tricky Dick system does it take 10 years to know how to play in the system.
    don't exaggerate, it only takes 8 years...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Worilds showed how easy it is to sack an unsuspecting QB when left unblocked. Other than that Worilds didnt show me a thing.

Gildon V2.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    No because what you are talking about is Dick Lebeau and his adherence to veteran players. Lebeau has basically been with this team since Cowher took over. Green Bay has had a number of regimes come and go through the years, so different philosophies. And besides, they were sorry for basically a couple of decades in their (70's and 80's) so why adher at that point.

The Steelers have been amazingly consistent over Lebeau's tenure, in which he gives vets preferential treatment. Unless you can cite some systemic rule change or something (e.g. adhering to a running game when passing rules changed in the late 90's), why should he change his philosophy now?
    The staying with vets things didn't work when they kept Kirkland, Gildon, Scott, Steed etc. in the 90s. They are approaching that same situation now. If you don't learn from history you are doomed to repeat it. They admitted, back in those days, that a bunch of older guys got big contracts and then everyone pretty much got lazy and we had some bad seasons.