Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How About the Pressure!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How About the Pressure!!

The one thing I've been most critical about on the defensive side of the ball to this point has been the passive play. Today, we came with the blitz often and got great pressure from our line and linebackers. We also played a lot of man coverage and got up in the face of their receivers and were knocking them off their routes. It seemed as if the team played off that aggressive play-calling and was delivering big hits throughout the game.

I know the defense gave up that 17-play 8 minute drive late in the game and they started out kind of rough, but I thought they played like a Steeler defense for the first time this season.

To do it it with no Polamalu, no Woodley, and a limited James Harrison, made it all the more impressive. I can only hope we get those guys back and can build on what we saw out there today.

Not to throw negative mojo at Polamalu, but it just reminded me too much of Marino's achilles tear, when nobody even touched him...it just popped. Didn't Kosar have the same deal too? God, I hope it's nothing more than an aggrevation of his calf injury.

Backup

User Info Menu

LeBeau finally dialed it up, and Timmons looked great finally. The difference in the game was Mendenhall though. He showed why he is the uncontested number back on this team. Oh yeah, these refs sucks as bad as the replacement refs. The only difference is these guys spot the ball quicker and the coaches don't try to take advantage of them. Other than that today's refs were worse than any we had this season. Missed calls, fights, late hits, bad calls....they sucked.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow..great performance with attacking defense. Who would have ever thought that would happen
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I haven't watched Philly outside of this game. Is their OLine bad?

Legend

User Info Menu

Which one is it?

A. We dialed up extra pressure and our guys executed better and got to the QB?

B. Philly's offensive line is worse than the Broncos & Raiders lines?

We made some nice plays. But overall, I think B unfortunately.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I haven't watched Philly outside of this game. Is their OLine bad?
    Vick has been sacked 14 times this year.

Ben has been sacked 9 times

Peyton: 10 times

Palmer: 7 times

Sanchez: 6 times

That may have been the worst OL we played this year.

[URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1358023-philadelphia-eagles-offensive-woes-michael-vick-is-only-half-of-the-problem[/URL]
    Even before training camp started, the Eagleslearned that they would be playing without their All-Pro left tackle Jason Peters for the entire season. Peters had ruptured his Achilles tendon during an offseason workout and needed the entire season to recover from this major injury.
    The Eagles quickly signed former [URL="http://bleacherreport.com/buffalo-bills"]Bills[/URL] tackle Demetress Bell to a five-year deal, only for him to later get beat out for starting left tackle by former seventh-round pick King Dunlap.

However, Dunlap suffered a hamstring injury only during Week 2 against the [URL="http://bleacherreport.com/baltimore-ravens"]Ravens[/URL], putting Bell back at the starting spot. Bell has underperformed vastly since, easing little pressure off Vick on the left side.

To make matters worse, starting center Jason Kelce suffered a season-ending ACL and MCL tear during the same Week 2 game. Kelce had started every game for the Eagles in the 2011-2012 season but is now replaced by Dallas Reynolds, a 28-year-old seeing his first career NFL action.

With the line as thin as it stands now, Vick is looking to keep more plays alive with his feet. More often than not, Vick’s ability to open things up is playing to his disadvantage.

Not only is Vick getting clobbered, he is getting pressured at the worst times. The Eagles have only scored a touchdown 38 percent of the time they have been in the red zone, among the worst in the league.

Rookie

User Info Menu

The Steelers have dialed up pressure all year...

Yesterday, and hopefully going forward, the players executed the scheme as it was called...

The biggest play given up was for 24 yards...

When the Steelers give up big plays (they didn't yesterday) and turn the ball over (they didn't yesterday) they lose...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The Steelers have dialed up pressure all year...

Yesterday, and hopefully going forward, the players executed the scheme as it was called...

The biggest play given up was for 24 yards...

When the Steelers give up big plays (they didn't yesterday) and turn the ball over (they didn't yesterday) they lose...
    We can disagree. The pays were not called in our two losses like in our two wins. It is no accident that in the two wins Timmons was sent up the middle attacking the QB more than half a dozen times. That is not execution that is play calling by LeBeau. Hope he stays aggressive the rest of the season. It doesn't have to be Timmons (but should be most of the time) but we need to collapse the center of the opponents offense. Give McLendon big kudos for that today too. Hampton needs to stay on the sideline unless McLendon needs a breather.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Which one is it?

A. We dialed up extra pressure and our guys executed better and got to the QB?

B. Philly's offensive line is worse than the Broncos & Raiders lines?

We made some nice plays. But overall, I think B unfortunately.
    I'm afraid you may be correct.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We can disagree. The pays were not called in our two losses like in our two wins. It is no accident that in the two wins Timmons was sent up the middle attacking the QB more than half a dozen times. That is not execution that is play calling by LeBeau. Hope he stays aggressive the rest of the season. It doesn't have to be Timmons (but should be most of the time) but we need to collapse the center of the opponents offense. Give McLendon big kudos for that today too. Hampton needs to stay on the sideline unless McLendon needs a breather.
    We don't have to disagree...

The calls in this game, as you pointed out, kept Timmons close to the LoS, where he can be a difference maker...

LeBeau sent lots of pressure previously, but not from Timmons...he kept Timmons back into coverage where he can be okay, but not a difference maker...

Timmons needs to play at or close to the line, like Farrior did...