Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawrence Timmons was a beast today!

Legend

User Info Menu

How good is Troy when DL has him 20 yards off the ball?

How good is Woodley when he drops in coverage?

How good is Harrison when he drops in coverage?

How good is McClendon, Cam, etc when they don't get playing time?

My point... If Timmons can be a beast when turned loose why the hell are some of you against putting him in that scheme more often?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

My point... If Timmons can be a beast when turned loose why the hell are some of you against putting him in that scheme more often?
    Because they are blinded by idol worship of anything LeBeau does. LeBeau is never wrong because of past success. The past does not guarantee the future because too many variables have changed on our defense but the guy in charge wants it to be the same. Not uncommon for a 75 year old. Change is not easy easy for people as they get older especially when you are so emotionally and professionally invested in something.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

Part of the hype with Timmons is that he is supposed to be athletic and great in coverage. If he's supposed to be a great coverage linebacker, shouldn't he be used in that role at times?

He had a great game on Sunday. I'd love for him to prove me wrong and play like that for the rest of the season. For a player in his 6th year with a big contract, I don't want potential or flashes. I expect consistently dominant play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I don't want potential or flashes. I expect consistently dominant play.
    Can you define "consistently dominant play?" Is it what we see from Woodley, is he meeting the standard? Is it what we have seen from Harrison the past two seasons, is he meeting your standard? What about Troy, is he "consistently dominant?"

I'm just trying to understand the metrics that Timmons will be evaluated against to determine his "consistent dominance." Sacks? Interceptions? Tackles? All the above? More than anyone else is a single game or over the course of a season?

Let's face it, for many Timmons will NEVER be good enough. If that is how you feel, just say it. There is no penalty or no one will ban you from the board. But let's be honest that many want someone or anyone other than Timmons because they probably never liked the pick from Day 1 and have consistently stated so over the last six years. So they set up arbitrary, unmeasureable standards to evaluate him.

I'll be upfront without hesitation. I loved the pick then and still do and when he is used like he was the last game and in the Jets game I think Timmons is the type of player we can build a defense around. He was definitely more effective than Troy, Woodley and Harrison. He can stay on the field unlike those other three. He was on the field last year too, unlike those others three.

The only thing that matters is that the organization likes what they see and have committed to Timmons for the long term. Obviously he meets their standard.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 10-09-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Part of the hype with Timmons is that he is supposed to be athletic and great in coverage. If he's supposed to be a great coverage linebacker, shouldn't he be used in that role at times?
    Absolutely...the key part of the phrase is "at times"...not all the time...

What Timmons showed on Sunday is this: He can make plays when you put him in position to do so...

While he made the splash play in the first half, he was making tackles for only 2 yard gains and pressuring Vick into incompletions in the 2nd half as well...

Legend

User Info Menu

What Ovi said...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Absolutely...the key part of the phrase is "at times"...not all the time...

What Timmons showed on Sunday is this: He can make plays when you put him in position to do so...

While he made the splash play in the first half, he was making tackles for only 2 yard gains and pressuring Vick into incompletions in the 2nd half as well...
    And who is responsible for putting him in position to make those plays, yet doesn't on a consistent basis? I think we all know the answer.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    And who is responsible for putting him in position to make those plays, yet doesn't on a consistent basis? I think we all know the answer.
    And now, we will see if the lesson was learned...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    While you may "need" to see something I think the Steelers have made it pretty clear they like what they see given the long-term commitment they have made. The Steelers don't do that as a gesture, never have.

I agree with your so-called Fact #1. Pretty much the rest of the "facts" are opinions of someone who doesn't like Timmons.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Timmons had a GREAT game. He really did. With that being said, I need to see consistency at this point in his career. I'm still hearing the word potential and Timmons. Thats the same word the Timmons-lovers used when we drafted him and that is still the word they're using. I'm over it and I'm tired of waiting year in and year out. If he hasn't reached his potential yet, we'll never see it.

FACT #1: Tomlin was in love with Brooks from TB. He thought Timmons was his clone so he drafted him.

FACT #2: We don't play the Tampa-2... not even close to it. Either make the switch or don't draft Timmons.

FACT #3 We drafted him to play OLB in a 3-4

FACT #4: He SUCKED and still SUCKS as a 3-4 OLB.

FACT #5: Since he sucked so bad at OLB, Tomlin and Colbert had to "save face" and move him to ILB. If he didn't work out at ILB, he would've gone down as one of the biggest 1st round busts in Steelers history.

FACT #6: By the time he was finally able to perform as a starter, he was dealt a major contract.

FACT #7: He got PAID and PAID WELL and he didn't deserve that money. He got paid very well on his rookie contract to basically "learn" the entire time. Then, by the time he finally learned... he the signed a MAJOR contract.
    Really? #1 is only a fact?

So we run a Tampa-2 base defense?

So we didn't draft him to play OLB even though that was clearly stated over and over again?

He's good as an OLB? Haha - see last year.

Tomlin/Colbert didn't save face by moving him to ILB? lol. How do you draft a player 15th overall, say publicly over and over again that he will play OLB and then back peddle those statements after moving him to ILB. Call it what you want but that is saving face. Thank god it worked.

Fact #6 & #7. Those are not opinions either. Look it up.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Tomlin/Colbert didn't save face by moving him to ILB? lol. How do you draft a player 15th overall, say publicly over and over again that he will play OLB and then back peddle those statements after moving him to ILB. Call it what you want but that is saving face. Thank god it worked.
    Tomlin said on the day Timmons was drafted that he had "Mack capabilities" and would be looked at there as well...