Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawrence Timmons was a beast today!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    You've made up your mind, so I won't try...

But, that was definitely, by far, the biggest difference...
    I think Eddie would term that as an "agenda" on his part.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How much time did Timmons set the bench learning until he became a true starter ? How much coin did Timmons get in his two contracts ? Timmons a number one pick, Timmons finally had his second or third good game........puh......leeze ! Until this guy can be a factor practically every game or even every other game I still thnk he's a bust. And if you think he is being used incorectly then, complain about Lebeau, Tomlin or Colbert for not getting the right man for the job.

I can't deny Timmons, had a great first half after millions of dollars, waiting for his break out season each preseason..... Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    And if you think he is being used incorectly then, complain about Lebeau, Tomlin or Colbert for not getting the right man for the job.
    That makes no sense...

In the NFL, the idea is to draft the best players that fit your scheme...if they don't fit the way you thought they did (and they must think Timmons fits, because they gave him a lot of money) then you adapt the scheme to fit those players...

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers linebacker Timmons torches Eagles

All eyes were on linebacker James Harrison as he made his season debut Sunday at Heinz Field.

Most everyone was anxious to see if his surgically repaired knee would hold up against the Philadelphia Eagles.

However, with the Steelers in a somewhat must-win predicament, it was oft-maligned linebacker Lawrence Timmons who stepped up in leading the Steelers to a come-from-behind 16-14 victory.

Timmons led the Steelers with nine tackles (eight solo). He had two tackles for a loss and two quarterback hits. Not a bad effort considering Timmons had 12 tackles through the first three games.

Timmons unleashed the fiery, caged lion muzzled at times by undersized running backs. He looked like a big cat chasing down prey, often tossing aside Philadelphia’s mammoth offensive linemen while in pursuit of quarterback Michael Vick and former Pitt running back LeSean McCoy.

Timmons consistently harassed Vick before stripping him of the ball late in the second quarter at the Eagles 34.

“I wanted to show a lot of effort out there,” Timmons said. “Our coaches did a good job in pregame, and it carried over into the game. We did a good job of keeping (Vick) bottled up.”

Perhaps it was the return of Harrison and safety Troy Polamalu that inspired Timmons. But he seemed to find another gear when Polamalu limped off the field after aggravating his sore calf.

The pressure mounted when outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley was sidelined in the second quarter with a right hamstring injury.

Timmons altered the Eagles’ game plan as he often disrupted their timing by either flushing Vick from the pocket or sealing the middle of the Steelers’ defense, which was gutted by Oakland’s Darren McFadden in a 34-31 loss two weeks ago.

“Our defense stood up today,” Timmons said. “A good team is always defined by how they do after a loss. The energy we were playing with, running to the ball, that’s what it’s all about.

“In the first half they had me on the back. In the second half, the center or the guard came out on me, but they blitzed me outside and I still got some pressure.

“We just didn’t want Vick to get comfortable because he can hurt you downfield.”

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau dialed up myriad blitz schemes. They all somehow involved Timmons, who several times shot gaps to rattle Vick.

“I’ll say, compared to the last game, I was around the ball more,” Timmons said. “Our defensive line did a good job of containment (on Vick).”

It may have been business as usual for Timmons, but defensive end Ziggy Hood was quick to notice that Timmons was determined to influence the game’s outcome.

“It gave us energy to see (Timmons) balling like that,” Hood said. “He did his job. He had a Pro Bowl-caliber game. The man played hard, and as a defense we fed from it.”

Added safety Ryan Mundy: “Somebody is going to always provide that spark of energy. It was Lawrence today.”

Linebacker Larry Foote said the Steelers are likely to turn loose Timmons when the Steelers play in Tennessee Thursday night.

“I know a lot of people put a lot of heat on him to make big splash plays,” Foote said, “but if you come in to watch film, he’s one of the best players on our defense.”

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2734543-85/timmons-steelers-vick-linebacker-game-eagles-defense-job-tackles-ball#axzz28k0Gkw1R[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The whole defense look refreshed. We had more pressure this week than we've had all season.

Timmons looked like the best defender in the NFL in the first half.

And this defense was doing it mostly without Troy or Woodley for most of the game.

Is Philly's OLine that bad? Or does Harrison make that much of a difference?

Harrison and Worldis make a good duo. I also noticed a lot of McClendon this week.
    I'll answer your question. Philly's OL is THAT bad. Vick has been getting killed almost every game. I think only AZ's OL is worse. IF Philly had a TE that is worthwhile, don't think for one minute that the Steelers wouldn't have used Timmons for pass pro.
    After watching STL dismantle AZ last week I am convinced the Steelers need to invest heavily in LBs. I love Foote's effort, but the guy is ordinary. The Steelers need special talent at LB to make the defense work.

Legend

User Info Menu

BTW, this was only the second game this season where a LB led in tackles. The other was a loss (Denver).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I'll answer your question. Philly's OL is THAT bad. Vick has been getting killed almost every game. I think only AZ's OL is worse. IF Philly had a TE that is worthwhile, don't think for one minute that the Steelers wouldn't have used Timmons for pass pro.
    After watching STL dismantle AZ last week I am convinced the Steelers need to invest heavily in LBs. I love Foote's effort, but the guy is ordinary. The Steelers need special talent at LB to make the defense work.

BS ! Timmons is now a football god now that he's had one good half. Serious, I don't want o knock the guy for having a good game and if the OL is that bad Timmons should have put it to him. I'm not ready to say Timmons finally found his game after being a number one pick sitting the bench and being groomed for so long and now being on his second contract. Timmons needs a lot more games like that for me not to believe he's a bust. He is a first round bust and that opinion won't change for me no matter how good he does in the future. First rounders are suppose to be a cut above the other guys, be able to possibly step up sooner than the regular draft picks and so on and Timmons has never been any of that. How many seasons has he been playing / Avergae Joe's have found their game, developed their game quicker than Timmons.

Again, congradulations to him for having a good game and if you think I'm being rough on the guy the proof that, he has been less than good is the media buzz he has created with just the first half of a game after how many seasons now ?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    That makes no sense...

In the NFL, the idea is to draft the best players that fit your scheme...if they don't fit the way you thought they did (and they must think Timmons fits, because they gave him a lot of money) then you adapt the scheme to fit those players...
    Timmons had a GREAT game. He really did. With that being said, I need to see consistency at this point in his career. I'm still hearing the word potential and Timmons. Thats the same word the Timmons-lovers used when we drafted him and that is still the word they're using. I'm over it and I'm tired of waiting year in and year out. If he hasn't reached his potential yet, we'll never see it.

FACT #1: Tomlin was in love with Brooks from TB. He thought Timmons was his clone so he drafted him.

FACT #2: We don't play the Tampa-2... not even close to it. Either make the switch or don't draft Timmons.

FACT #3 We drafted him to play OLB in a 3-4

FACT #4: He SUCKED and still SUCKS as a 3-4 OLB.

FACT #5: Since he sucked so bad at OLB, Tomlin and Colbert had to "save face" and move him to ILB. If he didn't work out at ILB, he would've gone down as one of the biggest 1st round busts in Steelers history.

FACT #6: By the time he was finally able to perform as a starter, he was dealt a major contract.

FACT #7: He got PAID and PAID WELL and he didn't deserve that money. He got paid very well on his rookie contract to basically "learn" the entire time. Then, by the time he finally learned... he the signed a MAJOR contract.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

You have a strange definition for this word, "fact"...

I do not think it means what you think it means...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Timmons had a GREAT game. He really did. With that being said, I need to see consistency at this point in his career. I'm still hearing the word potential and Timmons. Thats the same word the Timmons-lovers used when we drafted him and that is still the word they're using. I'm over it and I'm tired of waiting year in and year out. If he hasn't reached his potential yet, we'll never see it.

FACT #1: Tomlin was in love with Brooks from TB. He thought Timmons was his clone so he drafted him.

FACT #2: We don't play the Tampa-2... not even close to it. Either make the switch or don't draft Timmons.

FACT #3 We drafted him to play OLB in a 3-4

FACT #4: He SUCKED and still SUCKS as a 3-4 OLB.

FACT #5: Since he sucked so bad at OLB, Tomlin and Colbert had to "save face" and move him to ILB. If he didn't work out at ILB, he would've gone down as one of the biggest 1st round busts in Steelers history.

FACT #6: By the time he was finally able to perform as a starter, he was dealt a major contract.

FACT #7: He got PAID and PAID WELL and he didn't deserve that money. He got paid very well on his rookie contract to basically "learn" the entire time. Then, by the time he finally learned... he the signed a MAJOR contract.
    While you may "need" to see something I think the Steelers have made it pretty clear they like what they see given the long-term commitment they have made. The Steelers don't do that as a gesture, never have.

I agree with your so-called Fact #1. Pretty much the rest of the "facts" are opinions of someone who doesn't like Timmons.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"