Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace = No Heart

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Wallace is looking for Desean Jackson & Vincent Jackson money.
    I think the Steelers were probably thinking that way and Wally is thinking bigger. Considering Desean was tagged vs Wally's tender, Wally should have gotten about $8M less than DJ. That was this year. Why overpay him now when we can just franchise him at the end of the year?

So we'll probably get to the end of this year, franchise him and try to do a DJ deal at that point. He'll probably earn a little more next year with a good season and the cap going up. So he waited. Waiting and having a good season might net him an extra $15M next year from the Steelers imho. Risky? Sure. But worth the wait to Wally? Sure.

Both sides probably see it as a win win. Steelers don't have to pay now. They get time for Brown/Sanders to develop. They can always franchise Wally for a few years and then let him go in a worst case scenario when the other guys are ready. And they keep Wally playing for a contract.

It's a win for Wally. Worst case he gets franchised for a couple years by the Steelers. Likely makes slightly more than he would in a long term contract. And we he does a long term deal with the Steelers or another team, it will be a bigger deal and make him more money. He just has to stay healthy. That's a big risk in the NFL. But I like that he's willing to take it cause it really is in the team's best interest and ours too as fans.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    would you give Mike Wallace the $11.5 million/year contract he's asking for?
    where did he ask for that? I haven't seen anythjng from either side, only idle speculation. Also you forget guaranteed money. I have said 45-50 million over 5 years with about 22-25 guaranteed. I believe that would be good for both sides. But I'm not wallace. He plays for the steelers and isn't necessarily a fan.

my biggest problem with wallaces detractors is that they rail against wallace for somehow being unseemly and selfish, while he only wants fair market value for his services. These people sit in their ivory towers an tell mike wallace what is fair. And say his ego is out of control and that he is selfish. And then I listen to Eric Winston say pretty much that NFL players live shorter lives and they accept it. But they should take less to stay in pittsburgh.

nope, not me. Wallace has performed and earned a fat new deal somewhere. He did exactly what he was supposed to do and handled this extremely well, IMO. Some are just bitter.

do I think the steelers will be that team? I say its still 50-50 at this point. They still have the leverage, but the poor showing by the defense may actually help him. They will need every point they can get, this year and surely next.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I have said 45-50 million over 5 years with about 22-25 guaranteed. I believe that would be good for both sides.

that is a fair proposal but the problem with those figures is that Mike Wallace won't sign for that.

I'm all for signing him, but it has to be for the right price or I would just go ahead and franchise him next season and try to negotiate a long-term contract with him once again.

I don't know if Wallace gave up per se but I do know he had a terrible day. Players have bad games but there was a severe lack of effort on several plays.

I keep hearing that Wallace wants DJ or VJ money but I don't know if that is rumor or facts.

The reason I used Marshall as a reference are the following:

1) He got his long term contract this offseason. Obviously, that is important because players salaries get escalated each year.

2) He is an elite WR. He may not be top 3 or top 5 but he is still a legit top tier #1 receiver.

and most importantly........

3) Several media reports said the Steelers offered 10 million / year for I think 5 years.

Now... This is Marshall's contract:

5 years / 47.3 million.

2012 9,300,000 - 200,000 9,500,000
    2013 9,100,000 - 200,000 9,300,000
    2014 9,100,000 - 200,000 9,300,000

Obviously, he thinks he's worth more than Marshall. I do not. He might get the money though but I don't think he should get paid more than a player that is superior to him on the field.

My son had a hockey game, so I missed the 2nd and 3rd qrt. On Mendhenhalls TD Wallace ran across....a MLB got tied and up and he was WIDE open. Would have walked into the endzone. Mendy made a nice play. Anyone at the game to see Wallace's reaction. Would have had to be on visitors side low in order to notice both. TV angle cut out when he stopped and turned to watch Mendy score. Just curious if he had a reaction. I always notice stupid little things like that....not sure why???

Pro Bowler
    Do you think maybe the Steelers know that Wallace has a tendency to not go all out or has major character issues
    Maybe that's why they didn't want to give him the big payday.
    Perhaps they noticed the lack of production in the 2nd half of last season in his contract year.
    They know the insides and outs of Wallace the person a lot better than we do.
    He's playing for a new contract and he should be going ALL OUT every game instead of sulking.
    Fortunately for him, Mr. Wallace knows that a lot of NFL owners are willing to throw down the big $$$$$ to guys that are underperforming.
    Steelers telling Mike, you want the big $$$$ than show us you are worth it by not taking games off.
    It is not that hard to understand that by Mike's body language that he has a lot of maturing to do.

Hall of Famer
    Did you know among active WRs Mike Wallace is ranked:
    16th in rec yds per game (66.5)
    60th this year at 13.2 yds/rec
    38th in rec %rate this year among WRs (33rd last year)
    27th in rec/gm (25th last year)
    7th in TD rec (11th last year)
    Mike Wallace averages 4.5 catches per game over the last two seasons.

I'll let yinz decide whether these numbers make him worth 11 mil/yr (which if you do the math works out to about $153000 per catch or about $1.4M per TD based on last year's production.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 10-09-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Did you know among active WRs Mike Wallace is ranked:
    16th in rec yds per game (66.5)
    60th this year at 13.2 yds/rec
    38th in rec %rate this year among WRs (33rd last year)
    27th in rec/gm (25th last year)
    7th in TD rec (11th last year)
    Mike Wallace averages 4.5 catches per game over the last two seasons.

I'll let yinz decide whether these numbers make him worth 11 mil/yr (which if you do the math works out to about $153000 per catch or about $1.4M per TD based on last year's production.
    Anyone want to figure out Timmons' dollars per tackle? Woodley's dollars per sack? Colon's dollars per holding penalty?

So far in his career, Antonio Brown is averaging 1 TD catch per season, and since he just signed a big 5 year, $42.5 million contract, he better improve upon that TD production, since an $8.5 million per TD pace ain't getting it done.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Wallace may be able to catch the short pass but he isn't a yards after catch guy. That is Brown and Sanders. Wallace goes down pretty quick like Nate Washington use to.

sanders???

what the heck has he done to make you think that. the guy can barely stay on the field

gimmie a break

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Anyone want to figure out Timmons' dollars per tackle? Woodley's dollars per sack? Colon's dollars per holding penalty?
    I'd say that best bang for the buck is Colon. We are only paying him something like ten bucks per holding penalty.