Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Willie is at it again

Legend

User Info Menu

For what it is worth, Ben's take is that Colon was pancacking guys and getting undeserved flags. I'll have to check the replay of the game to see if that bears out. If nothing else, have to admire Ben's loyalty.

Legend

User Info Menu

he held him b4 he pancaked the guy

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Interesting...Troy Aikman made note of the holes Colon was opening up on run plays and they showed them on replays.
    Did he make some good blocks today? Absolutely. Were they numerous enough to overcome his poor blocking and penalties on other plays? You seem to think so. I'd say he was an embarrassment. For what he's being paid relative to his performance, he's stealing from this team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Did he make some good blocks today? Absolutely. Were they numerous enough to overcome his poor blocking and penalties on other plays? You seem to think so. I'd say he was an embarrassment. For what he's being paid relative to his performance, he's stealing from this team.
    Where did I say that?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Where did I say that?
    Oh, so you agree that Colon's overall performance was bad.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Oh, so you agree that Colon's overall performance was bad.
    This is what I will say and have said...

I think it is too earlier to judge him after he has only played guard for all of 4 games. Yes, he has struggled in pass blocking and with penalties, But he has been dominating at times in run blocking.

And I dont think I have ever held back on criticizing Steelers who haven't done their job. I just think it is a little too soon to do so in this case.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

This is what I will say and have said...

I think it is too earlier to judge him after he has only played guard for all of 4 games. Yes, he has struggled in pass blocking and with penalties, But he has been dominating at times in run blocking.

And I dont think I have ever held back on criticizing Steelers who haven't done their job. I just think it is a little too soon to do so in this case.
    Well, I respect your opinion, but I respectfully disagree. For years we heard how Colon was one of the best tackles in the NFL...it hasn't quite all come together, but it's about to, he's one of the best, just wait and see, it'll happen. Then this year, after being switched to guard, we heard these reports that he's having such a tremendous camp and will certainly dominate at that position. I'm not as much of an expert as you are but, to me, he looks like he came in out of shape and undisciplined, and that he's failing at some of the basics that don't even need to be relearned. As for the new things he needs to learn moving from tackle to guard, OK, but this isn't rocket science...he's a multi-year veteran, getting paid $5 million plus per year...he's been at the LG position for about 3 1/2 months now...I think we ought to see a little more from Mr. Colon. Yet as has been the case his whole career, excuses are being made for him.

Look, I hope he turns out to be the next Alan Faneca. I'd be happy if he just becomes a decent guard. At this point, I'm just not very optimistic that that's ever going to happen.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

another thing about colon that bothers me is all the talk we hear about how strong he is. Something about fighting in a phone booth was used a couple of times if IIRC.

I saw him get stood up, pushed down, and generally get abused on most plays he wasn't flagged for holding.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    another thing about colon that bothers me is all the talk we hear about how strong he is. Something about fighting in a phone booth was used a couple of times if IIRC.

I saw him get stood up, pushed down, and generally get abused on most plays he wasn't flagged for holding.
    It does require great strength to hold onto a strong 300lb defensive lineman and not let go. He has demonstrated great skill at that.

Like I said earlier, he may be the luckiest man on the team that DeCastro got hurt or he may well be sitting on the bench. Guard continues to be a weakness on our OL.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"