Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romeo Crennel removes himself as the Chiefs’ defensive coordinator

Legend

User Info Menu

Romeo Crennel removes himself as the Chiefs’ defensive coordinator

Romeo Crennel removes himself as the Chiefs’ defensive coordinator

BY ADAM TEICHER
    The Kansas City Star

In an effort to fix some of the many problems ailing the 1-7 Chiefs, head coach Romeo Crennel announced today that he has giving up his duties as the defensive coordinator, handing them over to linebackers coach Gary Gibbs.

The Chiefs also released starting cornerback Stanford Routt, signed last winter as a free agent, and signed defensive lineman Shaun Smith, a former Chief.

In relinquishing the defensive coordinator duties, Crennel said he was trying to eliminate the perception that he’s spending too much time on that side of the ball and ignoring the offense.

“I will continue to be in meetings sometimes,” Crennel said. “I will meet with Gary on a regular basis as well as I do with (offensive coordinator Brian Daboll and special teams coach Tom McMahon) to know what the game plan is and what’s going on there. But I’m going to spent more time with the whole team and less time with the defense.

“We have a young team and some guys, the perception may be that I’m a defensive coach , that I’m a defensive coordinator, and I don’t care about other parts of the team, which is not true. But their perception may be that. By my being with them more, I think they will see I’m concerned about the whole team.”

Routt was one of the Chiefs’ big off-season, free-agent signings. He replaced Brandon Carr, who left as a free agent for Dallas.

When the Chiefs signed Routt, who played seven years with the Raiders, coaches said they would have to integrate him into their way of doing things.

“The transition was taking a little bit longer than I thought it was going to take,” Crennel said, “so we just felt like it was time to part ways.

“He was trying to learn the system and he trying to adapt and making some progress at that but I needed it to be faster. I thought it was going to be faster but it wasn’t happening so I made the move.”

Routt missed last week’s game against San Diego because of what the Chiefs called an injured hamstring. Javier Arenas started in his place and Crennel said Arenas would probably start in next Monday’s game against the Steelers in Pittsburgh.

Smith, who played with the Chiefs in 2010, takes Routt’s 53-man roster spot after signing a contract for the final eight games of the season.

The move gives the Chiefs depth at defensive line. Glenn Dorsey reinjured his calf in last week’s game against San Diego. Dorsey missed the previous four games and played against the Chargers before leaving the game for good with the injury.

Smith was one of the more popular players while he was with the Chiefs because of his outgoing personality. He played in all 16 games for the Chiefs in 2010, starting 10. He left after the season to sign with Tennessee, where he played last year.

Smith had not played in the NFL this season. He previously played for New Orleans, Cleveland and Cincinnati in his nine-year NFL career.

[URL]http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/05/3901639/defensive-lineman-shaun-smith.html#storylink=cpy[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Got to be a help this week as they get use to the new guy. Shouldn't make a big difference though if we play offense to our fullest abilities.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Probably the best move Crennel has made all year...there is no "I" in "Chefs"...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Probably the best move Crennel has made all year...there is no "I" in "Chefs"...
    For some reason I want a Snickers.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

After losing to the Raiders and Titans this year, these are the kind of games that leave me shaking my head.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    For some reason I want a Snickers.
    I just had two Heath Bars.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

The Chiefs haven't had the lead in a single game this year. I'd like that to continue this week. Run at will on them, hit some long balls, and engulf them on D.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    The Chiefs haven't had the lead in a single game this year. I'd like that to continue this week. Run at will on them, hit some long balls, and engulf them on D.
    They had the lead at the end of the one game they won this year.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Wasn't it the last game we played in KC that we were suppose to win and didn't. Charles ran like crazy that day. I don't take anything for granted especially after losing to bad Oakland and Tennessee teams.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"