Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Sending Added Pressure More than Any Team in the League

Legend

User Info Menu

In the NFL, rushing 4 is standard. Rushing 3 or less is focusing on extra coverage rather than pressure. Rushing 5 is a blitz. Rushing 6 or more is an all-out blitz (veteran QB's know how to beat this by throwing to a hot route...unless someone comes completely free and blasts him first). I don't mind rushing 4 roughly half the time and rushing 5 roughly half the time. Not a big fan of 3 or less or 6 or more except for rare instances.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    In the NFL, rushing 4 is standard. Rushing 3 or less is focusing on extra coverage rather than pressure. Rushing 5 is a blitz. Rushing 6 or more is an all-out blitz (veteran QB's know how to beat this by throwing to a hot route...unless someone comes completely free and blasts him first). I don't mind rushing 4 roughly half the time and rushing 5 roughly half the time. Not a big fan of 3 or less or 6 or more except for rare instances.
    I prefer rushing 5 as that at least guarantees one on match-ups that can be won unless the offense keeps a RB or TE in to help block which thus takes them out of the passing attack.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I have said it before. It aint DL. It is a TALENT issue.

We dont have a our two recent DPOY players.

To now imagine DL is suddenly a bum when we suddenly lose our best defensive end (Smith) inside LBer (Farrior), outside lber (Harrison), and Secondary player (Troy), is ridiculous.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We need a 4-3 allignment and play press coverage. I think that the 3-4 scheme that was so innovative in the 90s and 00s, have been figured out. Today's dink and dunk offenses with surgeons like Rodgers, Brady etc... Seem to have their way with our soft zone spots. Couple that with no-huddle and we pretty much will get owned every time..... Would love to see us eventually transition to a 4-3 and find a new DC to man the helm. If course this means blowing up the D, to a certain extent.... We have defensive players that could transition easily to a 4-3 (Woodley to DE for example) but that means farewell to D!ck LeBeau which would say goodbye pretty much like Hines did. JMHO.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Did anyone watch the Rams defensive linemen last night? Did anyone notice how their linemen were beating the guys assigned to block them? They didn't trick anyone. They just beat the guy lined up across from them. Something we have not been able to do. That's not schemes or predictability. That's talent, or in our case a lack thereof. We have to face the fact that either our guys have to improve or we need some new talent.

Getting back Harrison and Troy, no matter how old, is gonna help us.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Did anyone watch the Rams defensive linemen last night? Did anyone notice how their linemen were beating the guys assigned to block them?
    Because they are assigned to beat those players assigned to block them...

Legend

User Info Menu

it is partially the scheme though, our DL are taught to not just pin their ears back and to rush the passer because they must maintain their gap responsibilities. read this excerpt below:

More of an issue is Ta’amu getting used to the switch from defensive end to nose tackle in the Steelers’ 3-4 scheme.

Ta’amu is required to occupy blocks with his wide frame and stay gap-sound rather than use his athleticism to make plays. He found out at minicamp that’s not as easy as it might seem.

“I got to the quarterback on one play, but the coaches told me that we are a gap team and we don’t need a Superman,” Ta’amu said.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1452321-85/amu-steelers-pounds-pick-senior-camp-college-freshman-issue-round#ixzz28RaLQpkU[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    it is partially the scheme though, our DL are taught to not just pin their ears back and to rush the passer because they must maintain their gap responsibilities. read this excerpt below:

More of an issue is Ta’amu getting used to the switch from defensive end to nose tackle in the Steelers’ 3-4 scheme.

Ta’amu is required to occupy blocks with his wide frame and stay gap-sound rather than use his athleticism to make plays. He found out at minicamp that’s not as easy as it might seem.

“I got to the quarterback on one play, but the coaches told me that we are a gap team and we don’t need a Superman,” Ta’amu said.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1452321-85/amu-steelers-pounds-pick-senior-camp-college-freshman-issue-round#ixzz28RaLQpkU[/URL]
    I don't know how much of this I trust since Ta’amu was never a defensive end. He played tackle in college.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I don't know how much of this I trust since Ta’amu was never a defensive end. He played tackle in college.
    I guess that's an issue with Mark Kaboly, but the Ta'amu quote was probably real...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't want a gym class hero on this team. I want sound gap responsibility.