Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin wanted Vick in Pgh

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    They didn't dump Holmes for weed... they dumped him because we weren't going to be able to afford to keep him and this was the best way to get some value for him.
    Yes they did. What did they end up getting for him? A 6th rounder? You call that getting "something for him?" How many 6th round picks end up making the team, let alone, producing? It just so happened that they traded him within days of Holmes getting busted for weed again? That was just a coincidence? The Steelers were reeling from the Ben scandal. They were suffering from massive PR problems with Ben alone, and then Holmes rolls up with the lettuce? They traded him to make a stand: This team was not full of hoods, and if it has some, their acts will not be tolerated; either they will be sent packing or go under some disciplinary action, such as the program Ben was on. Now, Holmes upcoming contract _COULD_ have made the decision to trade him more of a no-brainer, to that I will agree. But the weed is what caused the move to happen.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Seems to be a plethora of topics. A cornicopia, if you will. Let me help:

Vick
    Tomlin's judgement
    Politics
    Peyton Hillis - Mike Alstott
    Races being racist
    Carts going off tracks
    Dog fighting
    Hunting
    Deep thoughts by Flasteel
    Sean Lee
    Hogs in the wild in the South
    Christianity & Hell
    Slaughter Houses
    2nd Chances
    All whites teams (and the quality of their cornerbacks)
    Hiking in Alaska with bears

I believe I've made things crystal clear...
    Nice summary Ghost!!

Sorry for the dissertation...Cheech and Chong stopped by my house.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Yes they did. What did they end up getting for him? A 6th rounder? You call that getting "something for him?" How many 6th round picks end up making the team, let alone, producing?
    actually, the Steelers ended up trading Santokio to the Jets for a 5th round pick which we traded to Arizona for Bryant McFadden and a 6th round draft choice which we used to select Antonio Brown.

so the Sanstonio trade ended up turning out very well for us...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    What the hell are you even talking about anymore?
    If he gets half a clue, I'm sure we'll be the first to know.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes they did. What did they end up getting for him? A 6th rounder? You call that getting "something for him?" How many 6th round picks end up making the team, let alone, producing? It just so happened that they traded him within days of Holmes getting busted for weed again? That was just a coincidence? The Steelers were reeling from the Ben scandal. They were suffering from massive PR problems with Ben alone, and then Holmes rolls up with the lettuce? They traded him to make a stand: This team was not full of hoods, and if it has some, their acts will not be tolerated; either they will be sent packing or go under some disciplinary action, such as the program Ben was on. Now, Holmes upcoming contract _COULD_ have made the decision to trade him more of a no-brainer, to that I will agree. But the weed is what caused the move to happen.
    When Holmes was caught with blunts in his car we didn't get rid of him... I'm not denying that weed didn't have something to do with it but if Holmes had 3 years left on his contract I don't think we deal him for 5Th rounder.

We've put up with a lot of ignorance from players... but if your contract is up it seems like that's the time when we make an example out of a player. Cedric Wilson had an incident with his wife and we got rid of him... JH has an incident with his wife and we claim it was over a baptism and sweep it under the rug.

When the Steelers cut/trade a good player with 3 years left on his contract I'll buy what your selling.... but trading a player who said we wouldn't be able to afford him next year doesn't cut it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    actually, the Steelers ended up trading Santokio to the Jets for a 5th round pick which we traded to Arizona for Bryant McFadden and a 6th round draft choice which we used to select Antonio Brown.

In that case, it was one of the best trades of all time! (Other than getting McFadden back, that is.)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

If we let Santonio play out his last year what would we get for him if he signed with another team?
    Last edited by feltdizz; 10-04-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If Tomlin had truly decided that he wanted Vick on the team, I believe that Vick would have been a Steeler...

But, I think that, after careful consideration of all of the factors (Vick's record, Dungy's endorsement, Roethlisberger's legal problems and the Rooneys' opinion), Tomlin decided to pass...

The HC considered every option to make the team better and came to the decision that the Vick option was not the right one at that time...

That's pretty much exactly what I want my HC and my organization to do...
    I totally don't see it that way. MT has limited powers, IMO. I don't think he would make such a large call as bringing on someone as polarizing as Vick without the Rooneys making the final call. That is way too massive of a decision that could impact the franchise, good or bad, in such a colossal manner. I have seen evidence that MT has less power than did Cowher. For instance, a lot of the coaches sent packing were not MT's decisions. I don't think MT has more than just a partial say in the draft; he gets to put his two cents in, but I think Art2 is making the call, especially on early picks.

Backup

User Info Menu

Without a doubt.....this was a statement. Im sure the contract situation had something to do with it. Limited at best.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have a feeling tomlin would say he wants x qb on his team every team regardless of what team we are playing. Tomlin believes strongly in not giving the other team any other incentive. This has nothing to do with race or character.