Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF, this still bothers me about DL's "system."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

WTF, this still bothers me about DL's "system."

Well, you can see that the Steelers understand how to burn when CBs play way off; as we saw so far this season, Ben hits wide outs quick whenever they are giving up a huge cushion.

So, apparently, the Steeler are aware of how to burn such soft coverage. So why is it, that when on D, Pgh also plays way off WRs too many times, in my opinion. I never understood why DL has CB coverage play so far off the wide outs. Is he really that paranoid of getting toasted? If our CBs are that terrible, then f----g find new ones? You mean after 12 years, they have still FAILED to find a single decent CB who can play tight coverage? Something is FAIL here. Either they are completely incompetent at finding CB talent, or the system is gamed to be so damned scared to be beat deep that they never can play tight. I don't get it. And, no I don't buy that DL's systems is so complex that the regular guy can't grasp it. This is football, not NASA. F that excuse.

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO, it's coaching "scared." It's part of his "bend don't break" philosophy. THat ise to work when you could actually put pressure on the QB and force the QB to make a mistake but when you rush only 3 or 4 guys against 5 or 6 blockers you aren't going to pressure the QB. That is what our opponents have figured out. Keep 6 in to protect or "leak" a RB or TE into the flat and force Harrison or Woodley to account for that person and therefore not rush.

The other big difference is how many teams were playing the 3-4 6 or 7 years ago compared to now. THe QBs see the 3-4 at least half of their games. It isn't a surprise anymore. They see all the blitz combinations week after week so they know how to adjust coverages.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Weren't we #1 vs. the Pass last year in a Pass First Football League??? #2 in Pts. allowed???

I swear most football fans think that we should only be giving up 150 yards passing per game and shutting out opponents on a regular basis.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Weren't we #1 vs. the Pass last year in a Pass First Football League??? #2 in Pts. allowed???

I swear most football fans think that we should only be giving up 150 yards passing per game and shutting out opponents on a regular basis.
    Key in your total assertion: LAST YEAR

Every season can be vastly different than the last. In this case. The Steeler D is 6th this year in D, and we haven't even played more than 1 decent offense yet (Denver). The other two offenses we played (Jet's and Raiders) are 28th and 22nd, respectfully. That sounds like total sh-t to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

We cant afford to play b&r when our LB's cant pressure the QB. That cushion is needed to assure we dont give up 6 in one play. When our LB's get some pressure going and throw the QB out of rhythm, then we will play with a little less of a cushion.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Key in your total assertion: LAST YEAR

Every season can be vastly different than the last. In this case. The Steeler D is 6th this year in D, and we haven't even played more than 1 decent offense yet (Denver). The other two offenses we played (Jet's and Raiders) are 28th and 22nd, respectfully. That sounds like total sh-t to me.
    You are the one who said "12 yrs."
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

The Steelers were #1 in points allowed last year...

As we saw from the Broncos game and the Raiders game, the Steelers lose when they give up big plays...

DL's "system" has been as successful as any other coach's "system" and the Steelers have the results to back that up...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post

Last year means nothing. The dynamics change every year because our opponents adapt. If the past was a predictor of future success we would still be playing a 4-3 defense since we won four Super Bowls doing that.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

We're able to play tight coverage. Remember last year against the Cheaters. We shut that offense down. I'm not sure why we don't try to do it more often. Although, this year, we're playing without Harrison, Troy, Gay and game one was without Clark. So, some of this probably contributes to playing a little more conservative.

I hate playing conservative. I'd much rather go down playing agressive, tight coverage and going after the QB with everything we have than sitting back and waiting for the other team to make a mistake.