Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF, this still bothers me about DL's "system."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    We're able to play tight coverage. Remember last year against the Cheaters. We shut that offense down. I'm not sure why we don't try to do it more often. Although, this year, we're playing without Harrison, Troy, Gay and game one was without Clark. So, some of this probably contributes to playing a little more conservative.

I hate playing conservative. I'd much rather go down playing agressive, tight coverage and going after the QB with everything we have than sitting back and waiting for the other team to make a mistake.
    Agree with this. I'd rather go down attacking and fighting than sitting back and watching the defense get picked apart.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    We're able to play tight coverage. Remember last year against the Cheaters. We shut that offense down. I'm not sure why we don't try to do it more often. Although, this year, we're playing without Harrison, Troy, Gay and game one was without Clark. So, some of this probably contributes to playing a little more conservative.

I hate playing conservative. I'd much rather go down playing agressive, tight coverage and going after the QB with everything we have than sitting back and waiting for the other team to make a mistake.
    I do remember last year ... against the broncos. We played tight coverage and got burned by Tebow. If we would have played off and made Tebow try and pick his way down the field on a 10-12 play drive we would have won that game.

The only thing that is wrong with the defense is we are not pressuring the QB. Sitting back, although frustrating at times, is a great system when you get pressure on the QB because you force him into mistakes. Now, if we have to send the house to get pressure then we have to rely on our DBs to stay on the receivers and they aren't and never have been very good at that.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I do remember last year ... against the broncos. We played tight coverage and got burned by Tebow. If we would have played off and made Tebow try and pick his way down the field on a 10-12 play drive we would have won that game.

The only thing that is wrong with the defense is we are not pressuring the QB. Sitting back, although frustrating at times, is a great system when you get pressure on the QB because you force him into mistakes. Now, if we have to send the house to get pressure then we have to rely on our DBs to stay on the receivers and they aren't and never have been very good at that.

Your second paragraph correctly identifies why "the system" isn't working. So why don't we see adjustments?

And I would disagree that it is a "great system" if it isn't working.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Let's see...Chris Carter is getting zero pressure from the QB's blindside, and Ryan Mundy is responsible for over-the-top coverage...[sarcasm]sounds like a perfect scenario for bump-and-run coverage!!![/sarcasm]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Keep the play in front of you and force the offense to make mistakes. Very sound football if you ask me. Especially when you have your former DMVP's on the field. There is a significant drop off from James Harrison to Chris Carter. Same with from Troy to Mundy. It's not playing scared.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Your second paragraph correctly identifies why "the system" isn't working. So why don't we see adjustments?

And I would disagree that it is a "great system" if it isn't working.
    Well since it isn't working, mainly due to injuries, then you're kind of screwed. That's when you have to ask guys like Woodley to drop into coverage. That's like Manning running the option. It's all because the offense can shift it's blocking scheme to focus on Wood. You can blitz up the middle, but most teams understand that that has to be our gameplan. We normally would just get creative and send Troy on a few different blitzes. Can't do that because neither Mundy or Clark are good like that. So instead you have to be much more conservative.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Let's see...Chris Carter is getting zero pressure from the QB's blindside, and Ryan Mundy is responsible for over-the-top coverage...[sarcasm]sounds like a perfect scenario for bump-and-run coverage!!![/sarcasm]
    Didn't you know that Carter is the second coming of LT and Mundy is Polamalu reincarnated? With those two monsters, I'm surprised we even need CB's on the field, let alone play bump coverage.

Legend

User Info Menu

Polamalu: Steelers' scheme isn't the problem

Dejan Kovacevic

Troy Polamalu gave a flat answer when asked if the Steelers' defense needed to change: "To be quite honest, this is a question that you guys ask us at this same point every single year since I've been here. We're not going to change. It's about how we execute and how we can win our one-on-one matchups. If we don't, it's nothing to do with the scheme of things. It's just that we're not performing."

He then laughed and added, "Maybe I ought to make a recording of that."

[URL]http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/70f86136-edac-4d1c-b23e-50b63fcb731d/?source=twitter[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Polamalu: Steelers' scheme isn't the problem

Dejan Kovacevic

Troy Polamalu gave a flat answer when asked if the Steelers' defense needed to change: "To be quite honest, this is a question that you guys ask us at this same point every single year since I've been here. We're not going to change. It's about how we execute and how we can win our one-on-one matchups. If we don't, it's nothing to do with the scheme of things. It's just that we're not performing."

He then laughed and added, "Maybe I ought to make a recording of that."

[URL]http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/70f86136-edac-4d1c-b23e-50b63fcb731d/?source=twitter[/URL]
    Troy's First Hand Knowledge > Message Board Gurus
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    True, but we also applied ZERO safety help all game long, including the final play in OT. I never said I was against safety help; they are not mutually exclusive concepts. We could apply closer CB coverage AND offer some safety help, at least on some plays. I never advocated tighter CB coverage on the LOS __and__ no safety help, which is what they did in the Denver game. The other point about providing QB pressure is always a part of the overall picture. I am so sick of DL's having the CBs play 10 yards off. It's like, we are GIVING them first downs without trying.