Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How embarrassed is...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Welcome to October 1st
    I haven't seen them play in October ... I guess we will see this Sunday. But even if they blow out the Eagles, I'm won't be convinced. I'm leaning more toward Holloween
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

The Steelers D is currently in a transition stage. Last season was the end of the road for Farrior, A. Smith and Hoke, and Hampton, Keisel, Harrison and Polamalu are in their last season or two. The problem is that none of the new players coming into the D have shown any propensity whatsoever for making splash plays, such as sacking the QB or stepping in front of a receiver for a INT, or punching the ball away from a runner (like the Raiders did last week). The Steelers D may have been ranked #1 last year because it gave up the least yards, but they only had 15 takeaways the entire season. And it hasn't gotten any better so far this year. The Steelers have 3 takeaways after 3 games: a funble by Denver that was forced by Foote with his back to the play, a muffed punt by the Jets, and an INT by the Raiders when their receiver fell down. Not once has the Steelers D made a splash play, like a strip sack. Hood, Heyward, McClendon, Worldis, Carter et al look to be plain vanilla players that are incapable of making splash plays. And that is a huge problem going forward.

Backup

User Info Menu

At times they are getting absolutely blown off the ball. Splash plays? I'd settle for aggressive play......being the first to make contact.....wrapping up...etc. This group is shooting at a moving target. Back to the basics that I'm sure they are at least capable of.

Looking forward to Sunday!!
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by virgilbosetti View Post
    At times they are getting absolutely blown off the ball. Splash plays? I'd settle for aggressive play......being the first to make contact.....wrapping up...etc. This group is shooting at a moving target. Back to the basics that I'm sure they are at least capable of.

Looking forward to Sunday!!
    Outside of Polamalu (getting old and often injured) and Harrison (old and injured) we don't have any players capable of splash plays. Actually, Woodley has his days...

I just wish the D would stop with the "taking the blame" talk and simply play better. Ike in Week 1 and Keisel in Week 3 apologizing and taking the blame for the loss. That doesn't make it any better and actually makes it worse especially when it's becoming a trend.

How about just playing better so you don't have to apologize.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Outside of Polamalu (getting old and often injured) and Harrison (old and injured) we don't have any players capable of splash plays. Actually, Woodley has his days...

I just wish the D would stop with the "taking the blame" talk and simply play better. Ike in Week 1 and Keisel in Week 3 apologizing and taking the blame for the loss. That doesn't make it any better and actually makes it worse especially when it's becoming a trend.

How about just playing better so you don't have to apologize.
    Great post. Just do it!!! But what is "it?" What exactly are these guys being asked to do? I think that is the $54,000 question. Four or five years ago I would have thought I knew, e.g. attack the QB and play aggressive. I'm not so sure anymore. It just seems like sometimes we are trying to avoid giving up the big play versus being aggressive.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    Every team goes through problems. This team WILL fix it, like they always do.

Unlike the 49ers, we spent alot of money on offense. We try to have a balanced team with good players on O and D.
    The 49ers have opted for D and a good running game.
    ....49ers still have little hope of a Super Bowl.

How you beat the Jets is irrelevant as long as you do. But can you also beat the other teams you need to get to glory? The Steelers showed they can periodically, while other teams haven't.

Also, today is not tomorrow in the NFL. You think the Cardinals are really going towards some playoff run because they are 4-0. How often does a team start 6-0 or even 8-0 and totally flame out. Good programs rectify problems as they go.
    Are you kidding me? 49ers didn't do anything to address their O? They might have done more than ANYONE at addressing their lack of play makers in the passing game. They sign Randy Moss and Manningham as free agents, just to start. Then they drafted A.J Jenkins, WR, in the 1st round and LaMichael James, RB, in the 2nd - both of whom should give the offense a burst, eventually. So, to say that SF hasn't put any $ into the O is erroneous.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The talent they are putting on the field is real close to the same players that earned a #1 ranking last year. Last year we all heard of that #1 ranking and why would we change anything. How about because your ROLB had back issues and needed surgery or your SS has been known to have injury issues and they are both over 30?
    Keisel is a year older. Hampton a year older and coming off of knee surgery. Farrior is gone, replaced by Foote, with no more rotation of the two. Harrison has not played. Troy has missed 2 games, Ryan Clark 1.

Lots of differences from last year to this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Keisel is a year older. Hampton a year older and coming off of knee surgery. Farrior is gone, replaced by Foote, with no more rotation of the two. Harrison has not played. Troy has missed 2 games, Ryan Clark 1.

Lots of differences from last year to this year.
    And IMO therein lies my findamental issue with our 3-4 defense. You correctly identify where we have players on the downward turn of their careers and we are still waiting to see whether our conversion projects are going to pan out, e.g. Worilds and Carter from DE to OLB, Hood from DT to DE. Imagine if these players had just come in and played their natural positions from Day 1. Would we be still trying to determine if the "conversions" would work?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Been watching a lot of NFL football this season (just got NFL Network and Redzone. Redzone is the only way to watch games when not the Steelers!). I have to agree with some posters, the defenses that Atlanta, San Fran, and Arizona are putting on the field are light years from the Steelers at this point. Those defenses are attacking, strong, beating the OLs, jamming the big WRs, and causing QB headaches. That is how they are winning. The Steelers this season are noticeably slower, weak at the line, out of position, and generally chasing plays down the field.
    I don't totally fault LeBeau. Give him 3 or 4 top defensive picks at the front of the draft (ala, San Fran) and I would bet he could put together something pretty awesome. But right now, the Steelers are definitely struggling with average talent at key positions and that doesn't bode well for a winning season.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Are you kidding me? 49ers didn't do anything to address their O? They might have done more than ANYONE at addressing their lack of play makers in the passing game. They sign Randy Moss and Manningham as free agents, just to start. Then they drafted A.J Jenkins, WR, in the 1st round and LaMichael James, RB, in the 2nd - both of whom should give the offense a burst, eventually. So, to say that SF hasn't put any $ into the O is erroneous.
    Absolutely right... Although injured, they also signed Brandon Jacobs. And don't forget Crabtree and Vernon Davis. Crabtee was a 10th overall pick and Davis was 6th overall.

They are loaded on both sides of the ball.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.