Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 57

Thread: How embarrassed is...

  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    Every team goes through problems. This team WILL fix it, like they always do.

    Unlike the 49ers, we spent alot of money on offense. We try to have a balanced team with good players on O and D.
    The 49ers have opted for D and a good running game.
    ....49ers still have little hope of a Super Bowl.

    How you beat the Jets is irrelevant as long as you do. But can you also beat the other teams you need to get to glory? The Steelers showed they can periodically, while other teams haven't.


    Also, today is not tomorrow in the NFL. You think the Cardinals are really going towards some playoff run because they are 4-0. How often does a team start 6-0 or even 8-0 and totally flame out. Good programs rectify problems as they go.
    "We spent a lot of money of Offense?????" What team are you looking at. All the recent big contracts have gone to defensive players.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  2. #12
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    you keep seeing the same complaints because we keep seeing the same thing over and over again...

    when every other defense in the league knows how to stop the Raiders but us it's troubling IMO...

    I'm still waiting for a DB to break up a pass....
    Don't introduce facts into the middle of idol worship.

    I love how there would be 20 anti-Arians threads or threads complaining about how bad the offense was and how they were hanging the defense out on this site and never a complaint. When we have to address the failings on defense, we hear there is too much of it being discussed. Well IMO given that the defense is the reason we lost two games out of three I think we should be talking about it...a whole bunch.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 10-01-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  3. #13
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    1,996
    While certainly different teams match up with others better or worse and each week is it's own entity; I believe it's reasonable to be concerned when a team such as the Raiders has looked like one of the worst teams in the entire league (bottom 3 to 5) 3 out of 4 games with the 1 exception being them tearing up the Steelers D as if it was not even on the field. They gave the Steelers D an a$$ whuppin' and they are terrible. It's also a little disconcerting to realize the one solid performance was against a QB who's not even as good as the Steelers' 2nd string QB, and it's not that close.

    Let's see what they come up with after having 2 weeks and hopefully a more healthy Troy coming back. Are they taking a realistic view of what kind of talent they really have to put on the field? If they can beat the Eagles and then they have a decent shot at betating the Titans and Bengals, they may still right the ship. I hope it's that scenario because right now, becasue right now, not only are teams not intimidated, they are not even worried. Redskin and Chiefs fans are putting this down as "wins" on their schedules.

  4. #14
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    While certainly different teams match up with others better or worse and each week is it's own entity; I believe it's reasonable to be concerned when a team such as the Raiders has looked like one of the worst teams in the entire league (bottom 3 to 5) 3 out of 4 games with the 1 exception being them tearing up the Steelers D as if it was not even on the field. They gave the Steelers D an a$$ whuppin' and they are terrible. It's also a little disconcerting to realize the one solid performance was against a QB who's not even as good as the Steelers' 2nd string QB, and it's not that close.

    Let's see what they come up with after having 2 weeks and hopefully a more healthy Troy coming back. Are they taking a realistic view of what kind of talent they really have to put on the field? If they can beat the Eagles and then they have a decent shot at betating the Titans and Bengals, they may still right the ship. I hope it's that scenario because right now, becasue right now, not only are teams not intimidated, they are not even worried. Redskin and Chiefs fans are putting this down as "wins" on their schedules.
    The talent they are putting on the field is real close to the same players that earned a #1 ranking last year. Last year we all heard of that #1 ranking and why would we change anything. How about because your ROLB had back issues and needed surgery or your SS has been known to have injury issues and they are both over 30?
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  5. #15
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Redskin and Chiefs fans are putting this down as "wins" on their schedules.
    I HIGHLY doubt this. Unless, of course, they are reading Chicken Little Steelers message boards that have the Steelers finishing 1-15.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    While certainly different teams match up with others better or worse and each week is it's own entity; I believe it's reasonable to be concerned when a team such as the Raiders has looked like one of the worst teams in the entire league (bottom 3 to 5) 3 out of 4 games with the 1 exception being them tearing up the Steelers D as if it was not even on the field. They gave the Steelers D an a$$ whuppin' and they are terrible. It's also a little disconcerting to realize the one solid performance was against a QB who's not even as good as the Steelers' 2nd string QB, and it's not that close.

    Let's see what they come up with after having 2 weeks and hopefully a more healthy Troy coming back. Are they taking a realistic view of what kind of talent they really have to put on the field? If they can beat the Eagles and then they have a decent shot at betating the Titans and Bengals, they may still right the ship. I hope it's that scenario because right now, becasue right now, not only are teams not intimidated, they are not even worried. Redskin and Chiefs fans are putting this down as "wins" on their schedules.
    Nice post here ghost. I particularly agree with your statement about having two wks off so let's see what they come up with. Can't say I'm optimistic. Tomlins teams tipically like to repeat the same errors to a fault. Not saying he sucks as a coach. Just stating MO. Hope I'm wrong.

  7. #17
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,368
    We just need to find ways to win in the end. A 1 pt victory is as good as a 50 pt victory. There's 3 phases - O, ST, and D. Win the battle in all 3 and squeak out victories. Just get it together over the last couple of games heading into the playoffs.

    Here's something to consider about Lebeau's age. In his day, managers were taught a different management style. Lead by fear. Micromanage. Get people to do what you do the way you want to do it.

    In the modern era, management is all about managing to strengths. Some people will never be good at some things. So ignore those things. And focus on developing their strengths.

    I can think of a few players the Steelers didn't develop their strengths. Best examples is Timmons and Keisel. Timmons was lightning fast, so they beefed him up. Same with Keisel. He was one of the quickest guys his size I've ever seen. So we beefed him up to handle the run. Both were budding superstars in the making. And we asked both to get bigger to handle the run. And as a result they both got slower and less effective. Remember when Keisel was a 3rd down replacement for Kimo. He was a QB pressure/sacking machine. That left when he added some pounds to stop the run and consume blockers. Timmons was lightning fast. I've seen him run by Troy over a short distance to make a tackle. Now he looks like Casey Hampton Jr.

    This system makes some guys. And it ruins others. I do wish we'd stop trying to make square pegs round all the time. Since the D is so complex, maybe we should draft D later when we can't mess up a guy with great potential. Unless it's a DB?

  8. #18
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    We just need to find ways to win in the end. A 1 pt victory is as good as a 50 pt victory. There's 3 phases - O, ST, and D. Win the battle in all 3 and squeak out victories. Just get it together over the last couple of games heading into the playoffs.

    Here's something to consider about Lebeau's age. In his day, managers were taught a different management style. Lead by fear. Micromanage. Get people to do what you do the way you want to do it.

    In the modern era, management is all about managing to strengths. Some people will never be good at some things. So ignore those things. And focus on developing their strengths.

    I can think of a few players the Steelers didn't develop their strengths. Best examples is Timmons and Keisel. Timmons was lightning fast, so they beefed him up. Same with Keisel. He was one of the quickest guys his size I've ever seen. So we beefed him up to handle the run. Both were budding superstars in the making. And we asked both to get bigger to handle the run. And as a result they both got slower and less effective. Remember when Keisel was a 3rd down replacement for Kimo. He was a QB pressure/sacking machine. That left when he added some pounds to stop the run and consume blockers. Timmons was lightning fast. I've seen him run by Troy over a short distance to make a tackle. Now he looks like Casey Hampton Jr.

    This system makes some guys. And it ruins others. I do wish we'd stop trying to make square pegs round all the time. Since the D is so complex, maybe we should draft D later when we can't mess up a guy with great potential. Unless it's a DB?
    You provide excellent examples of forcing players into a template defense versus adapting the defense to maximize the abilities of the players.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  9. #19
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,523
    at the end of the day, I don't put much weight into what happens in September.

    Do I have my concerns??? YES!! Absolutely. Just as I did after the Eagles thrashed us in Week 3 a few years back.
    But I also remember a few years back the Steelers starting off hot, destroying Brett Favre and the Vikings and then falling off the face of the earth.

    When we get into October I will start passing my judgement.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  10. #20
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    at the end of the day, I don't put much weight into what happens in September.

    Do I have my concerns??? YES!! Absolutely. Just as I did after the Eagles thrashed us in Week 3 a few years back.
    But I also remember a few years back the Steelers starting off hot, destroying Brett Favre and the Vikings and then falling off the face of the earth.

    When we get into October I will start passing my judgement.
    Welcome to October 1st
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •