Thread: DeCastro walking without a limp five weeks after “severe” knee injury

Legend

User Info Menu

DeCastro walking without a limp five weeks after “severe” knee injury

As if the sideline-level scouting report on WVU quarterback Geno Smith wasn’t enough to justify the write off, there was another nugget more closely related to the NFL that could make the entire day in Morgantown land in the deduction column on the 1040.

After the game, I spotted Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, who was attending the game with his father, Oliver, the WVU Athletics Director. Andrew’s current team is on a bye, and with him was his former Stanford teammate, Steelers guard David DeCastro, whose pro team also is off this weekend.

DeCastro injured his knee badly during the preseason. Eventually, the Steelers placed him on injured reserve with the “designated for return” designation.

Five weeks removed from the injury, DeCastro was walking briskly without a limp as he and Luck left the stadium. Though it’s hardly evidence that he’ll be ready to go any time soon, with DeCastro able to return to play eight weeks after placement on IR (which happened nearly four weeks ago), he’s looking in street clothes like a guy who was never even injured.

Write off justified. I should have bought a few more beers.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/30/decastro-walking-without-a-limp-five-weeks-after-severe-knee-injury/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like the comment below: "Youth has its advantages"
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    I like the comment below: "Youth has its advantages"
    Those commenters are cautioning not to get too excited about this... I'm not. But hey--we're only four weeks into this season. Two months can go by (i.e. eight weeks), and he can still potentially come back. Now a lot of people might say, "What's a rookie going to do for us in the nitty-gritty of the season, coming off a major knee injury."

But if our o-line is as bad as we know it can be, then we'll be happy to have ANY alternatives available. Depth is woeful too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe a one legged, rookie DeCastro is better than what we currently have at G...either side.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I believe a one legged, rookie DeCastro is better than what we currently have at G...either side.
    I doubt he will be much help this year regardless. If he started day one it would take time to excel. He seemed to be coming along a little slower than we expected.
    I would not take a chance and bring him back next years

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I doubt he will be much help this year regardless. If he started day one it would take time to excel. He seemed to be coming along a little slower than we expected.
    I would not take a chance and bring him back next years
    I agree. Unless we turn around things on defense and have a real shot at a deep play off run don't rush him back too soon just to possible aggravate the injury.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I agree. Unless we turn around things on defense and have a real shot at a deep play off run don't rush him back too soon just to possible aggravate the injury.
    I would take the approach that they took with Mendenhall:

Bring him back on the 53 and let him practice, even if he is inactive...

Having him practice with the team would be better than sitting him for an entire year...

And, God forbid, we lose another lineman to injury...

Legend

User Info Menu

If he is healthy and there is no risk, I'd love to see DeCastro back this year. Even if he plays 5-8 games, he has the opportunity to both upgrade the offensive line and get some reps in actual games, which should benefit him next year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    LOL That's funny....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm all for having him heal 100% rather than trying to force him back into the lineup. As someone said, he's good but he still is on the learning curve so, it's not like he has veteran experience or knows the team well enough that even if not 100% recovered he would be an impact or difference maker.