Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Noot looking good for Harrison's knee

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Harrison's career had a late start ... No one can tell me they've ever watched a pass rusher get held as much as James Harrison.
    Greg Lloyd was my favorite but I have to admit James Harrison wreaked havoc almost every play. The man was an animal.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

I'm certainly in agreement with all the preceding posts. JH is truly a great player. But with all the developments in the past several weeks it reminded me of something I thought was very odd I saw maybe 3-4 weeks ago on TV.

The reports were sounding optimistic and JH was testing and trying out his knee in full practice etc. Anyway the camera caught a quick glimpse of him working out. I watched it and scratched by head. Wow! I thought. What a demanding exercise.

The laughable thought entered my head that if JH never ever had any history or even a mild problem with his knee /and or back he would certainly have one now after going through that routine.

Since I have no experience with any type of exercise the even more laughable thought occurred to me that any ordinary person trying that bit of rehab?? would probably not be able to even walk for a month. But I thought nothing of it at the time.

Over the past several years there have been instances of some mood swings in JH. At times he is on TV and is funnier than most stand up comics on the Comedy channel. At other times he is very one track minded[right or wrong] when at odds with the league on many issues etc.

All this has me now wondering. Is it possible I have missed something. Is James again at war with the league and/or possibly the Steelers over some issue? It sure looked to me like JH could have played two full games in one day and the knee would have taken less abuse and/or wear and tear than that freaking workout.

For those familiar with exercises here is what it looked like to me. He was in a kneeling position with one knee on the ground and with both hands around the other knee. Then he starting putting the knee to the left near the ground bringing it back up and trying to bring it to the ground to the right?? Try it! It goes one way easy enough but the other way seems to be the way it goes when players end up on IR for the season. Especially try it doing it very quickly and with vigorous force in both directions. See if you can walk tomorrow.

JH has been very quiet on this situation. This is uncharacteristic of him. Can't help thinking there is more to this than meets the eye.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers plan to rotate outside linebackers to avoid fatigue

October 6, 2012
    By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

James Harrison, pictured, and LaMarr Woodley will be rotated to save energy in the game Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles and their elusive quarterback, Michael Vick.

The Steelers might have learned a lesson after the defense blew a pair of 10-point leads in the fourth quarter of their loss against Oakland.

Perhaps, that's why they plan to rotate outside linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley in the game Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles and their elusive quarterback, Michael Vick.

Harrison, a five-time Pro Bowl linebacker, will make his return against the Eagles (3-1) after missing spring and summer camps with a recurring knee injury. He will be joined in the starting lineup by All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu, who sat out the past two games with a calf injury.

The Steelers (1-2) told Harrison he will be spelled in the first half by Chris Carter, who has been starting at right outside linebacker since minicamp. The coaches want to be sure Harrison is fresh for the fourth quarter.

"I have to come off," Harrison said. "It's no need being out there, being dog-tired, and not be able to do what's necessary to play the position. You want to stay fresh. You don't want to go out there and play every snap in the first half and come out sluggish in the third and have nothing left in the fourth."

The Steelers have a similar plan for Woodley, who has three of the team's five sacks.

They will spell him early with Jason Worilds because they want to make sure Woodley is fresh enough to chase Vick in the fourth quarter. But the Steelers will not have Harrison and Woodley out of the game at the same time.

After the defense blew leads of 24-14 and 31-21 in the fourth quarter of their 34-31 loss to the Raiders, the coaches want to make sure their best players are fresh when the game might be on the line in the fourth quarter.

In Harrison's case, though, it is his first game since the wild-card playoff loss in Denver.

"When it comes down to it, a lot of it simply is because I haven't played," Harrison said. "To actually think you're going to go out there and play 60-plus snaps in a game ... I haven't seen the normal training camp, the normal [organized training activities] and preseason. When you look at it, it's really coming up on what would be my first preseason game."

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-plan-to-rotate-outside-linebackers-to-avoid-fatigue-656431/#ixzz28aO16uaI[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Harrison: I've had 'double-digit' concussions

CBSSports.com wire reports
    Oct. 16, 2012

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison didn't want to wait for the NFL to do something about protecting his head, so the four-time Pro Bowler decided to do it himself.

After enduring what he estimated as "double digit" bouts with concussion-like symptoms throughout his decade-long career, Harrison began using a special layer of padding inside his helmet last fall and is pleased with the results.

"I haven't seen any spots or had any blackouts," Harrison said Tuesday.

Harrison was the first NFL player to use the CRT padding developed by Unequal Technologies inside his helmet. Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick began using a flak jacket lined with military-grade Kevlar during the 2010 season, but Harrison was the first player to put the quarter-inch padding in his helmet.

He's been joined around 100 players over the last 12 months and feels the extra weight (about 3-4 ounces) is worth the feeling of safety it provides.

"To protect my head I'd take a pound more," Harrison said.

The outspoken 2009 NFL Defensive Player of the Year believes the movement could catch on. One of the NFL's fiercest hitters, Harrison says he played through concussion-like symptoms in the past but as he's aged has become more wary of the long-lasting impact repeated head shots can have on a player's future health.

"If something works, I'm going to use it," he said.

The green padding uses material developed to protect combat military personnel. The padding square packs that can be cut into different shapes then stuck inside helmets from various sports, including hockey and baseball.

Harrison became aware of the product while looking for a little extra protection after fracturing his right orbital bone last season. Pittsburgh backup quarterback Charlie Batch, a member of the NFL Players Association's executive council, introduced CRT to player representatives from around the league, which quickly helped expand usage.

Unequal Technologies president Robert Vito said the product doesn't claim to prevent concussions but that anecdotal evidence from players from all levels seem to indicate the material can help minimize the recurrence of concussions.

Harrison noted the NFL has gone to great lengths to address concussions and hand out "crazy fines" to players who make illegal hits but haven't taken aggressive action in trying to update the equipment.

"The league is mandating next year that we wear thigh and knee pads," Harrison said. "I don't know how many people's career has been ended on a thigh or knee bruise. We have guys now that are 30, 31 years old that are having to quit the game because they have severe headaches ... I think you should be focusing more on (the helmet) than knee or thigh pads."

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/20574082/harrison-ive-had-doubledigit-concussions[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha