Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noot looking good for Harrison's knee

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I think Harrison has given his all for this team and I always loved his effort. He certainly ranks high in my list of Steeler linebackers but he is nowhere near the top. I think Jack Ham was the greatest linebacker we have ever had. I think he doesn't get the acclaim because he never had the attitude of Lambert, Lloyd, Porter or Harrison.

Ham was unbelievable against the run and tremendous against the pass. He didn't get many sack totals because it wasn't often that we blitzed in that day and age. Watching the Ratbirds game the other night they put a stat up about Ray Lewis. He is second for linebackers creating turnovers. The guy in first place, but a big margin, was Jack Ham.

Ham is the Man!!!
    Definitely agree Ham is the greatest LB in Steelers history and it's not close. And get doesn't get any credit like the other guys because they were feared and they were characters that defined the game in their respective eras. Too bad Ham didn't have Troy's hair or something

However, had James Harrison's career lasted as long as Ham's there wouldn't be a question that Harrison was better. He probably would have been worthy for consideration of the greatest LB of all time in the NFL if he had the tenure.

Harrison probably would have had more DPOY awards than LT if he were a little smarter, learned the defense, and got into the league when he was young.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Talent wise Ham was the best ever, however no player set the tone for an entire defense like Lambert. He more thsan any player not named Joe Greene personified what an entire defense was all about.

My top list:

1. Ham
    2. Lambert
    3. Lloyd
    4. Harrison
    5. Kirkland

Players who did not do it for as long I really liked: Keven Greene, Chad Brown and Loren Toews. Toews was always a favorite of mine growing up. Chad Brown would have been a star had he remained in the 'Burgh.
    What about Andy Russell? He did make 7 Pro Bowls even though he took off 2 years to join the Army early in his career.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    What about Andy Russell? He did make 7 Pro Bowls even though he took off 2 years to join the Army early in his career.
    Was going to mention Russell and man I wish kendrell bell could have stated a healthy steeler.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I do remember Lloyd getting blown up by the Cowboys in that SB. They ran those sweeps or whatever and pulled those HUGE o-lineman and Lloyd didn't have the size to hold up. That's not a knock on him... Dallas o-line was huge for that era
    They feared Lloyd so much, that they sent their pro bowl Larry Allen (350) at Lloyd to isolate block him. Allen would mow down any LB on earth. That shows how much Dallas feared GL to begin with. Allen had some insane bench press of like 700 lbs.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by virgilbosetti View Post
    His knee must be junk. He doesn't even com close to my all time favorite Steeler LB's. Well maybe kind of close.
    I don't know how he doesn't. No one created more havoc in their day, ever. No one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Definitely agree Ham is the greatest LB in Steelers history and it's not close. And get doesn't get any credit like the other guys because they were feared and they were characters that defined the game in their respective eras. Too bad Ham didn't have Troy's hair or something

However, had James Harrison's career lasted as long as Ham's there wouldn't be a question that Harrison was better. He probably would have been worthy for consideration of the greatest LB of all time in the NFL if he had the tenure.

Harrison probably would have had more DPOY awards than LT if he were a little smarter, learned the defense, and got into the league when he was young.
    I would disagree about Harrsion being better. They were in different defenses and asked to do different things. Ham had like 8 INTs one year. That is unheard of even for the best DBs in the league. Plus I think Ham was so much smarter. He was so fast that he seemed to have multiple tackles behind the LOS every game.

You really have to compare Harrison to Defensive Ends of the Steel Curtain years and I would still take LC Greenwood over him. Maybe Dwight White too.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 09-28-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

100+ yard INT return in the biggest of the big games...

That is a very powerful trump card in Harrison's favor...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    100+ yard INT return in the biggest of the big games...

That is a very powerful trump card in Harrison's favor...

And he did it his way. The play was called. Harrison messed everything up the plan by dropping into coverage. No one expected it. No coach, no player, not Kurt Warner. And the play that save the game (14 point swing) was thanks to James improv.

Everyone talks about how Troy freelances and how that makes him special. James does too, but he's not supposed to. Is it possible that the combo of James and Troy trumps the predictability of Dick Lebeau's D calls?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I don't know how he doesn't. No one created more havoc in their day, ever. No one.
    He sure did create havoc. But for my list of favorites it's hard to put him at the top with only a small handgull of yrs compared to lambert, ham, russell, Lloyd etc. JMO. Not trying to sell it.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

For me everyone gets in line after the following three in this order:

Jack Ham - In the discussion as greatest LB of all time
    Jack Lambert - In the discussion as greatest middle LB of all time
    Andy Russell - Unfortunately, overshadowed by the two listed above, but appeared in 7 Pro-Bowls

It's hard to believe they all played on the same team for an extended period of time.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount