Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dee Dub's first 2013 Steelers draft!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I'd be good with that draft.

If Te'o keeps playing like this, he'll be a top 12 pick. We will need to trade up or lose a lot of games.

I like Jefferson's game. I think he is a missile for his size and very active.

I really want this draft to focus on 1. pass rush, 2. pass defense, 3. replacing mendenhall and/or wallace 4. run defense

I think Te'o could still be on the board around middle of first round--14-15-16 because of the demand for other higher priority positions, pass rushers, QB's, etc.

Jefferson I think would ultimately move to replace Troy at SS and could be used in a lot of the same ways.

Good RB's can be found in later rounds. Imo.

For me I would love for the Steelers to sign CB Sam Shields from Green Bay. You solid young corner who has excelled in Caper's 3-4.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Sean Lee would look good manning the middle of the field for us......but hey, we got Jason Worilds. No, I am not a Penn State fan, and no, I won't let it go.

Jason Worilds reminds me a lot of the Troy Edwards pick. instead of sticking with the BPA theory and taking Sean Lee who the Steelers had a first round grade on the Steelers instead chose a player at a position they perceived they had a higher immediate need at.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Jason Worilds reminds me a lot of the Troy Edwards pick. instead of sticking with the BPA theory and taking Sean Lee who the Steelers had a first round grade on the Steelers instead chose a player at a position they perceived they had a higher immediate need at.
    Jason Worilds is not as bad as you indicate. He was a leader in QB pressures last year. Part of the problem with the rush this season is that they have Carter instead of Worilds in there...another LeBeau headscratcher!!!

I have heard for 4 years about Sean Lee. I have seen alot of games with Lee playing and I have yet to see anything special. I've seen some terrible pass coverage from him, essentially he is nothing more than Larry Foote is in younger days.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Sean Lee would look good manning the middle of the field for us......but hey, we got Jason Worilds. No, I am not a Penn State fan, and no, I won't let it go.
    Did you see Golden Tate do his best Hines Ward imitation on Sean Lee? It brought back memories.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Jason Worilds is not as bad as you indicate.

I have heard for 4 years about Sean Lee. I have seen alot of games with Lee playing and I have yet to see anything special.

Jason Worilds can't even beat out Chris Carter, who has started all 3 of our games so far and has ZERO sacks and ZERO QB pressures.

as for Sean Lee, he is averaging making over 10 tackles a game so far this season...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Jarvis Jones is going to be a beast in the mode of a Von Miller, Aldon Smith, Brian Orakpo type. Comes in and dominates as a pass rusher right away. Likely a top 5 pick. Also Barkevious Mingo and Sam Montgomery of LSU could be right there too. I think James Harrison has one more year for the Steelers and as a result ILB this coming off season will be a higher priority.
    We could all hope that but Harrison may never suit up again as a Steeler. 10 mil next year or a release and save 5 mil. Worlds and Carter haven't answered the call so I believe OLB Will be the #1 priority. The prognosis of Spence will be a big factor in next years draft. Pass rush premium is going up in this league and in a 3-4....We all know who carries that torch.

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman doesn't really care if the Steelers are a 3-4 or 4-3 team, just so long as the Steelers use a syatem to best utalise the talent on the roster.

The Defense is in 'transition' with a bunch of it's more important players getting toward the end of their careers- Harrison, Polamalu, Clark, Foote, Keisel, Hampton. The new guys either haven't stepped up, or are not up to it, or don't fit the system. Hard to pinpoint exactly where the problem sits.

Chadman is not sure that Tomlin/Colbert have done as good a job of drafting 3-4 Defenders as Cowher/Colbert/etc did. In contrast, Tomlin/Colbert have certainly been able to identify athletic players- guys probably more suited to the pass happy Offenses of todays NFL.

It could be that Tomlin needs to evaluate where HIS head is at- and decide if he is rebuilding the 3-4 as well as he could, or if he perhaps needs to look at options- like the dreaded 4-3. Chadman saw the anti-Timmons argument of now having to build a defence to suit Timmons, as opposed to getting Timmons to fit the Defence. Fair argument. But maybe that's exactly what Tomlin needs to do- build a defence to suit Timmons, Woodley, Hood, Heyward, Worilds, Carter, Spence etc. He drafted these guys. Whats dumber- drafting guys that don't fit the system & forcing them to play it anyway, or after drafting guys that don't fit the system- tossing them out & replacing them with other guys that might fit better? Fact is- guys like Timmons, Spence, Woodley, Hood, Worilds...they might actually benefit from a move away from the 3-4. Not to say they can't play the 3-4, just that they might suit a 4-3 better.

So why not at least look at the possibility?

It's not like 3-4 experts such as Hampton, Keisel & Harrison can go for much longer. What better time than now to visit the possibility?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Chadman doesn't really care if the Steelers are a 3-4 or 4-3 team, just so long as the Steelers use a syatem to best utalise the talent on the roster.

The Defense is in 'transition' with a bunch of it's more important players getting toward the end of their careers- Harrison, Polamalu, Clark, Foote, Keisel, Hampton. The new guys either haven't stepped up, or are not up to it, or don't fit the system. Hard to pinpoint exactly where the problem sits.

Chadman is not sure that Tomlin/Colbert have done as good a job of drafting 3-4 Defenders as Cowher/Colbert/etc did. In contrast, Tomlin/Colbert have certainly been able to identify athletic players- guys probably more suited to the pass happy Offenses of todays NFL.

It could be that Tomlin needs to evaluate where HIS head is at- and decide if he is rebuilding the 3-4 as well as he could, or if he perhaps needs to look at options- like the dreaded 4-3. Chadman saw the anti-Timmons argument of now having to build a defence to suit Timmons, as opposed to getting Timmons to fit the Defence. Fair argument. But maybe that's exactly what Tomlin needs to do- build a defence to suit Timmons, Woodley, Hood, Heyward, Worilds, Carter, Spence etc. He drafted these guys. Whats dumber- drafting guys that don't fit the system & forcing them to play it anyway, or after drafting guys that don't fit the system- tossing them out & replacing them with other guys that might fit better? Fact is- guys like Timmons, Spence, Woodley, Hood, Worilds...they might actually benefit from a move away from the 3-4. Not to say they can't play the 3-4, just that they might suit a 4-3 better.

So why not at least look at the possibility?

It's not like 3-4 experts such as Hampton, Keisel & Harrison can go for much longer. What better time than now to visit the possibility?
    All good points. I totally agree that we need an objective evalauation of what players we have and what system they best fit into to get the best from them. Not just what players we but also what players will we be able to get and how do we get them contributing as early as possible. As you co identified more and more teams are looking for those same 3-4 players that we use to find so easily.

Our defense going forward should have nothing to do with who the Defensive Coord is or what you have done in the past. If it was about history we won 4 Super Bowls playing the 4-3.

The league is very different now than it was in 2001 and we need to evaluate how we put players on the field to succceed. We all have different opinions but I think we can all agree that what we are doing so far this season isn't working.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't care whether we play 3-4 or 4-3 either. I know we say we are a 3-4 team but we generally only play that on 1st down. After that it changes based on down, distance, and offensive personnel. Our problem isn't whether we play a 3-4 or 4-3. It's that we aren't getting pressure on the QB.

The Giants, who many think are the standard for the 4-3, were lousy for the first 3/4 of last season. It was only when their defensive line got healthy and they could get after the QB that they looked great. That's the key.

I don't care if we go to the Buddy Ryan forty six defense. We need to get after the QBs arse and put them on the ground.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I don't care whether we play 3-4 or 4-3 either. I know we say we are a 3-4 team but we generally only play that on 1st down. After that it changes based on down, distance, and offensive personnel. Our problem isn't whether we play a 3-4 or 4-3. It's that we aren't getting pressure on the QB.

The Giants, who many think are the standard for the 4-3, were lousy for the first 3/4 of last season. It was only when their defensive line got healthy and they could get after the QB that they looked great. That's the key.

I don't care if we go to the Buddy Ryan forty six defense. We need to get after the QBs arse and put them on the ground.
    100% agree. You have to make the QB worry about the next hit. We don't do that dropping Woodley into coverage and rushing three. We have to be aggressive and unpredictable. We have lost that over the past few seasons. One need to look no further than last years 21-year low in sacks, That is unacceptable for this team.

Personally, I like the 4-3. I think it gives the 4 DL a clear mission. Go get the QB. To me that works and it is easy to get players out of college and just have them continue to do that what they did that got the attention of NFL teams to begin with. None of this we want to change this and that nonsense.

It will be what it will be in terms of formation and scheme but it does have to be better than what we have shown this season.