Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Pro Football Focus disagrees with you ****ers, says its not the LB'ers, agrees its DL

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I thought it was Bells injury problems that kept him off the field. Didn't Bell start as a rookie?
    Bell was a phenomenal talent, but a chronic freelancer...

When he was well enough to play, the Steelers ended up sticking with Foote because he did what he was supposed to do...they didn't have the dynamic pass rush, but neither did they have a player who was out of position...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Bell was a phenomenal talent, but a chronic freelancer...

When he was well enough to play, the Steelers ended up sticking with Foote because he did what he was supposed to do...they didn't have the dynamic pass rush, but neither did they have a player who was out of position...
    Below is from Wikipedia. I needed to refresh my memory on this one. It sounds like when Bell was healthy, he played and started essentially making Foote the backup... not the other way around.

Bell started in all 16 games for the Steelers during his 2001 rookie campaign. He was an excellent fit for the Steelers defense, most likely because of his blitzing abilities. The Steelers finished the regular season with a 13-3 record, earning them the top seed in the AFC. Bell was voted the AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. The Steelers defeated their division rival, the Baltimore Ravens, 27-10 in the AFC Divisional round at Heinz Field. The following week they went on to face the second seeded New England Patriots. Bell recorded 8 tackles, a sack, and 2 passes defended. Despite his stellar performance, and a late 4th quarter comeback, the Steelers wound up losing the game 24-17. In 2002, Bell was injured in week 1 of the AFC Championship Game rematch versus New England. He missed the next 4 games, but returned in week 7 to face the Indianapolis Colts on Monday Night. He finished the season with 50 tackles, (33 less from his rookie year), and 4 sacks. The Steelers finished with a 10-5-1 record, and went on to face the Cleveland Browns. In an epic 36-33 comeback win over the Browns, Bell recorded 9 tackles but injured his knee in the final quarter and was listed as doubtful for the following week at Tennessee. Although hurt, Bell started the game against the second seeded Titans. He recorded only 2 tackles before leaving the game once again with an injury. The Steelers lost 34-31. In 2003, Bell amassed 99 tackles and 5 sacks despite the Steelers poor 6-10 finish. In 2004, Bell injured his knee yet again, and would not see the field until week 9. He played 3 games for the Steelers before he re-injured his knee in week 11 versus Cincinnati. In the 2005 off-season, the Steelers, (who went 15-1 in the regular season without Bell), released him from the team. He then signed with the Kansas City Chiefs, where he played 3 mediocre seasons. Injuries prevented him from having the same impact he did in Pittsburgh. He was forced to retire in late 2007, due to another series of injuries.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Pete Prisco had this to say back in 2005:

Pittsburgh Steelers
    Underrated: Larry Foote, linebacker

Foote played so well last season for the injured Kendrell Bell that he kept Bell on the bench when he returned. With Bell gone to Kansas City, Foote is now the entrenched as a starting inside linebacker.
    Now, perhaps he's not as reputable as Wikipedia...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Pete Prisco had this to say back in 2005:

Now, perhaps he's not as reputable as Wikipedia...
    No... he's probably not as reputable.

In 2001, 2002 and 2003 Bell started the games he was healthy. In 2004, he started for 3 games and was injured the rest of the year.

I'm not trying to knock Foote. He's been a reliable player for us. I'm just saying that Foote has never really had a full time starting role with the Steelers except this year.

Last year, Foote rotated with Farrior
    Previously, he rotated with Timmons (i.e. Timmons' best year)

Legend

User Info Menu

In 2001, 2002 and 2003 Bell started the games he was healthy. In 2004, he started for 3 games and was injured the rest of the year.

I'm not trying to knock Foote. He's been a reliable player for us. I'm just saying that Foote has never really had a full time starting role with the Steelers except this year.

He was the starter in 2005 and played without really rotating until Timmons was drafted.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Have you completely blanked out 2005-2007?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Have you completely blanked out 2005-2007?
    Yes, I did. Bell wasn't on the team in those years.

My bad, I missed the years after Bell was let go. Basically, Foote started those years. Then, he was eventually placed Timmons and sent to Detriot.

Now, he's brought back as a starter because of Farrior's departure.

So, let me get this straight.

1) Foote was a backup to Bell
    2) Foote started during the 2005-2007 years as a stop gap.
    3) Once the stop gap was filled (or lack thereof) by Timmons, he became a backup again
    4) He was let go by the Steelers
    5) He was brought back by the Steelers as a backup.
    6) He's now a starting stop gap (again) because the Steelers haven't developed a ILB since .... well, Foote and Bell.

Nice impressive ILB development by the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yes, I did. Bell wasn't on the team in those years.

My bad, I missed the years after Bell was let go. Basically, Foote started those years. Then, he was eventually placed Timmons and sent to Detriot.

Now, he's brought back as a starter because of Farrior's departure.

So, let me get this straight.

1) Foote was a backup to Bell
    2) Foote started during the 2005-2007 years as a stop gap.
    3) Once the stop gap was filled (or lack thereof) by Timmons, he became a backup again
    4) He was let go by the Steelers
    5) He was brought back by the Steelers as a backup.
    6) He's now a starting stop gap (again) because the Steelers haven't developed a ILB since .... well, Foote and Bell.

Nice impressive ILB development by the Steelers.
    One thing I would agree with you on is that Foote is not a superstar, but he has been severely underrated by Steelers nation. He was ( not as much now) a heck of a run stuffer for many years.

He does need replaced going into the future however, and I would agree there is not a replacement for him on the roster.

Legend

User Info Menu

Larry Foote = Sean Lee = Paul Pozluszny = Blue collar, lunch-pail ILBs. Nothing special just solid.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Larry Foote = Sean Lee = Paul Pozluszny = Blue collar, lunch-pail ILBs. Nothing special just solid.
    Every time I've seen Lee, he looks really good. He has coverage ability and plays the run very well, too.

Larry Foote has not been the problem this year, but I think Sean Lee would be a big improvement on this D (and also over Jason Worilds, not to get back into that debate again).

I have not seen Poz as much, but he seems like more of a traditional run stuffing type ILB. I think Lee is in a different class from Foote (who I like) and Poz.