Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I envy Seattle

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Not bashing you dude. I think the NFC West in General is becoming more and more like the AFC North. Who wouldn't respect young, aggressive, and energetic defenses?

Where has that gone for us?
    Yea, and it's not surprising, considering Wisenhunt is over there, Harbaugh in SF and Pete Carol, who's strength is getting young players amped, is in Seattle. Only the Rams are behind on the defensive stamp, but that will change with Jeff Fisher at the helm. Wow, that's a lot of good defense out there. Since ours is basically connected to a healthy Troy and Harrison being on the field, we are suddenly vulnerable. Big time.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The Seahawks were laughingstocks at the draft this year when they reeeeeeeeached for Bruce Irvin the middle of round 1 (I applauded it, because it helped DeCastro fall to us). Sure, Irvin had 2 sacks last night, but Brandon Mebane also had 2 sacks against that putrid Green Bay OL, and Chris Clemons had 4 sacks. The previous year, they reeeeeeeeeached for James Carpenter in round 1 as well. Gimme Kevin Colbert, Mike Tomlin, and our "cheapskate" owner over John Schneider, Pete Carroll, and their billionaire Microsoft owner any day.
    You can point to ANY team and find draft busts. They held the once mighty Packers' O to 12 points. They got something going on that's working. They also embarrassed a decent Dallas club as well. I am not advocating or desiring their front office over ours, just admiring some good players.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The Seahawks were laughingstocks at the draft this year when they reeeeeeeeached for Bruce Irvin the middle of round 1 (I applauded it, because it helped DeCastro fall to us). Sure, Irvin had 2 sacks last night, but Brandon Mebane also had 2 sacks against that putrid Green Bay OL, and Chris Clemons had 4 sacks. The previous year, they reeeeeeeeeached for James Carpenter in round 1 as well. Gimme Kevin Colbert, Mike Tomlin, and our "cheapskate" owner over John Schneider, Pete Carroll, and their billionaire Microsoft owner any day.
    Yeah, it shouldn't be that hard to stockpile talent when you are picking toward the front of the draft every year. Just for the record: I rcecall BUF (and I'm sure another one or two who) started out on fire, only to peter out by Week 16. This year, we have teams like ARZ, SEA, CIN. While I'm sure that ARZ will fall by the wayside (you can't succeed with those bums they have at QB without a DOMINANT D), I DO think CIN is for real this year, and if you put a gun on me--I'd tell you SEA will finish 8-8 give or take a game. People are ALL over the Russell Wilson bandwagon, and I think it's greatly premature. He will hit a rookie wall at some point. And if you just look at his game so far, he's been average AT BEST. (Take away that hail mary last night, and I think he had like 120 yards passing.)

Legend

User Info Menu

Can see what Lloyd is getting at. The Stadium thing- not much can be done there. Don't mind HF to be honest- but this comes from the other side of the world- so Chadman's thoughts on HF might not count for much. Thing about the Seattle's & Arizona's at the moment is they look 'fresh'. They are fast, they are willing. They make mistakes... but then just get on with it.

The Steelers playing & coaching group are just looking a little stale. It's almost like they've been at it & have run out of genuine new ideas. Chadman thinks Haley's offense looks promising- if they can get the running game going. But Defense looks like they are doing the same old thing, with the same old guys, over & over.

It's probably time to consider change- be it the coaching, the personnel or the scheme... but something needs a freshen-up. Actually- it could be all 3 need freshening. In Chadman's opinion- the Offense is close to set. They don't need an injection of new young players- they are already there.

The Defense, however, needs a shot in the arm. There are some players there to build around- some that get 'bagged' on here a bit. Not sure our new 'star' players fit the LeBeau Zone Blitz 3-4 Defense as well as the previous occupants of the positions.

Ziggy Hood is more a 4-3 DT than a 3-4 DE. Timmons is more a 4-3 OLB than a 3-4 ILB. Woodley is more a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB. Spence is more a 4-3 ILB than a 3-4 ILB. See where Chadman is going here? Worilds would likely benefit from being a strict pass rush DE too.

In fact, if we look at the specific 3-4 type players- Heyward & Ta'amu certainly fit the mold. Harrison to a degree.

What Chadman is getting at is- the future defenders on this team are not necessarily best suited to the current scheme. Might be worth thinking about.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Any how, I would love if we had the backfield Seattle does.
    During the prolonged Wallace holdout, I proposed a Mike Wallace and Ryan Clark for Earl Thomas and Doug Baldwin trade.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Yeah, it shouldn't be that hard to stockpile talent when you are picking toward the front of the draft every year.
    That's why some say you have to get aggressive and trade up, etc. to make sure you get actual blue chip players. I don't know, but Raven's seem to have drafted extremely well lately from back end of the draft. They stay aggressive.

I'm not saying the Steelers don't draft well, but I think it's time to look at the aging roster and regain some cap space.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Since ours is basically connected to a healthy Troy and Harrison being on the field, we are suddenly vulnerable. Big time.
    What happens to any defense when you take the two best players off it?

What would the Niners D look like without Patrick Willis and Justin Smith?

What would the Texans D look like without J.J. Watt and Johnathan Joseph?

The Ravens already lost Terrell Suggs...what if they also lost Haloti Ngata?

The Jets just lost Darrelle Revis...what if they also lost David Harris?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    That's why some say you have to get aggressive and trade up, etc. to make sure you get actual blue chip players. I don't know, but Raven's seem to have drafted extremely well lately from back end of the draft. They stay aggressive.
    The Ravens traded out of the first round entirely in 2 out of the last 3 drafts.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Yeah, it shouldn't be that hard to stockpile talent when you are picking toward the front of the draft every year. Just for the record: I rcecall BUF (and I'm sure another one or two who) started out on fire, only to peter out by Week 16. This year, we have teams like ARZ, SEA, CIN. While I'm sure that ARZ will fall by the wayside (you can't succeed with those bums they have at QB without a DOMINANT D), I DO think CIN is for real this year, and if you put a gun on me--I'd tell you SEA will finish 8-8 give or take a game. People are ALL over the Russell Wilson bandwagon, and I think it's greatly premature. He will hit a rookie wall at some point. And if you just look at his game so far, he's been average AT BEST. (Take away that hail mary last night, and I think he had like 120 yards passing.)
    Going nearly a full game, with only 7 points on the board, against a suspect GB D, doesn't make me think the QB is all that. And then the other 7 points was a complete gift and not legit. So he really only managed to put up 7 points all game. BUT, I must say, he is fairly impressive for a rookie, in his presence, instincts, etc. He could become a very good NFL QB, even though he is considered short. If a QB can find throwing lanes, he doesn't have to be tall.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    The only point I agree with is the comments about Heinz. The only thing special about our field is the play of the team itself. The facility on it's own is bland, below average and don't get me started on the grass.
    Century Link is nothing special. The seating is good and the place is loud as hell, but other than that it doesnt hold a candle to Heinz, IMO.