Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I envy Seattle

Hybrid View

Pro Bowler

I envy Seattle

Before you tell me to go route for them and quit being a Steeler fan (no idea why people think that is appropriate), let me explain. I don't want to switch places as a franchise; I don't like their uniforms better, etc. But I envy them for the following.

1.) A stadium designed the right way. 3 Rivers stadium was superior to HF in that it was much louder. The open side of HF let's all that noise escape. 3 Rivers was a much more difficult for visiting teams to play, and Seattle's stadium is done right, with the crowd virtually on top of the field. The majority of the crowd is close to the field, allowing it to be the loudest outdoor stadium in the NFL. And that sure helps. Seattle sacked Rogers 8 times in ONE HALF. And the crowd was part of that outcome, as players can't hear the snap count and are a tick slow to react when the ball is snapped.

2.) Seahawks young, hard-hitting secondary. Dear word, do they have a bunch of good DBs. Why does it seem we are always trying to find good CBs, but other than Ike (who is bordering on average these days) we can't seem to find good CBs. Seattle has a boat load. And they all hit.

3.) They get pressure from just their front four. What a luxury. If you get to the QB with just rushing 4, man does that make playing defense easier. It's frustrating seeing Pgh not being able to get any pressure on QBs even with blitzing. What is wrong with them?

4.) They are a young team with talent. Being just young, but crappy isn't anything to holler about, but they are young and talented. It's kind of depressing when your best players are constantly getting hurt because they are getting old. And the players that are behind them don't seem to be anything special.

5.) They have a real enthusiasm with the players. Yea, I could be overreacting from our upset loss, but Pgh just seems like they are more bummed out than enthused. We have the images of Troy on the sidelines wearing a T shirt, a frustrated DL not getting it done, CBs who can't play, OL that is failing. The team just doesn't feel like it has enthusiasm. I don't see it.

No, I don't want to trade franchises. No I don't want to trade our 6 rings for their current team. But I do envy some aspects about that team right now. Kind of reminds me of the early Cowher years, where Pgh took the league by storm after a losing season before hand. I remember his first game, beating the favored Houston Oilers - that was a young, enthusiastic bunch. Old guys wearing down just isn't fun.

I don't.

Since 2008, their overall record is 25 wins and 42 losses. The playoffs one year at 7-9 and managed to win a game before losing in the divisional playoffs.

While they are 2-1 right now, I reserve the right to review their entire season before I decide to envy them...

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I don't.

Since 2008, their overall record is 25 wins and 42 losses. The playoffs one year at 7-9 and managed to win a game before losing in the divisional playoffs.

While they are 2-1 right now, I reserve the right to review their entire season before I decide to envy them...
    I don't envy their past at all. But I do envy the direction they are headed. I think Carol is building something significant there and that rookie QB looks good for a rookie. He is only going to get better. And they are so young that their future looks bright.

Pro Bowler
    The only point I agree with is the comments about Heinz. The only thing special about our field is the play of the team itself. The facility on it's own is bland, below average and don't get me started on the grass.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    The only point I agree with is the comments about Heinz. The only thing special about our field is the play of the team itself. The facility on it's own is bland, below average and don't get me started on the grass.
    So you don't think Seattle has a rock solid, young core of DBs and a front 4 that puts pressure on without needing blitzes? OK. I'd trade for their backfield in a second. They are all fast, athletic and will bust you in the mouth.

I actually like HF, just fine, except for the open end design and crap field. At 3 Rivers, the crowd could make a huge difference. At HF, not so much. I used to _feel_ the crowd noise through my BODY at 3 Rivers. I don't get that at all at HF. Oh whoopity do; you can view the city skyline from inside HF. F that, Rooneys. I'd rather have a stadium built to help _WIN_, I don't need to view the city when I'm at a Steelers' game. That was a pretty huge mistake. Oh, wait, I can view the city during the game. Who gives an F?

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    So you don't think Seattle has a rock solid, young core of DBs and a front 4 that puts pressure on without needing blitzes? OK. I'd trade for their backfield in a second. They are all fast, athletic and will bust you in the mouth.

I actually like HF, just fine, except for the open end design and crap field. At 3 Rivers, the crowd could make a huge difference. At HF, not so much. I used to _feel_ the crowd noise through my BODY at 3 Rivers. I don't get that at all at HF. Oh whoopity do; you can view the city skyline from inside HF. F that, Rooneys. I'd rather have a stadium built to help _WIN_, I don't need to view the city when I'm at a Steelers' game. That was a pretty huge mistake. Oh, wait, I can view the city during the game. Who gives an F?
    Honestly, I don't have a problem with Heinz Field. I always thought it was strange that you never realized you were half a mile from downtown Pittsburgh when you were in Three Rivers Stadium. Besides, the view is free, nationwide advertising for a city that many people who have never been (or never left either, but that's another topic) still believe is a dying, post-industrial ****hole.

Furthermore, not only did multi-purpose stadiums suck out loud for baseball, but they were overrated for football too. All the seats in Three Rivers Stadium pointed toward the center of the field, so if either team got into the red zone, half the stadium had to twist in their seats to watch the action. Not comfortable. Heinz Field is much better designed.

And if you still don't like the open end, well they're about to close part of it anyway with 3,000 extra seats. As for the grass, I think it's awesome. It ****s the minds of every opponent who plays on it, which creates an extra home-field advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I don't know why admiring another team's bright spots is some kind of Steeler sin.
    It's not a Steeler sin; it's a yinzer sin. There's a difference.
    Last edited by DBR96A; 09-25-2012 at 08:19 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Honestly, I don't have a problem with Heinz Field. I always thought it was strange that you never realized you were half a mile from downtown Pittsburgh when you were in Three Rivers Stadium. Besides, the view is free, nationwide advertising for a city that many people who have never been (or never left either, but that's another topic) still believe is a dying, post-industrial ****hole.

Furthermore, not only did multi-purpose stadiums suck out loud for baseball, but they were overrated for football too. All the seats in Three Rivers Stadium pointed toward the center of the field, so if either team got into the red zone, half the stadium had to twist in their seats to watch the action. Not comfortable. Heinz Field is much better designed.

And if you still don't like the open end, well they're about to close part of it anyway with 3,000 extra seats. As for the grass, I think it's awesome. It ****s the minds of every opponent who plays on it, which creates an extra home-field advantage.

It's not a Steeler sin; it's a yinzer sin. There's a difference.

I liked hearing about the 3,000 seats. I'm still saying that I want more haha

The grass dosn't bother me that much, but I wouldn't mind seeing them change it for something that holds up better.
    Don't Forget to bring a Towel

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrible Towlie View Post
    I liked hearing about the 3,000 seats. I'm still saying that I want more haha

The grass dosn't bother me that much, but I wouldn't mind seeing them change it for something that holds up better.
    Remember when the sod was so bad, they just slapped another layer of sod on top of it, and then it was so bad that a punt literally just stuck into the ground with no bounce at all? That was a national embarrassment.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    Century Link is nothing special. The seating is good and the place is loud as hell, but other than that it doesnt hold a candle to Heinz, IMO.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    Century Link is nothing special. The seating is good and the place is loud as hell, but other than that it doesnt hold a candle to Heinz, IMO.
    I have never been there, so I don't know for sure, but I do know it's the loudest outdoor stadium and it's new, so it can't be that bad. No one builds a new stadium and makes it crappy.