Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: See the end of the Seachickens and Packers game?...

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    You don't know the rules, what exactly does going to the ground mean?, and the video shows that both players have possesion. Maybe you don't understand possesion.
    I do. The video shows the Packer DB with possession and Golden Tate putting his hands on the ball after the fact...

This is the rule:

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/forwardpass

The player who first controls and continues to maintain control of a pass will be awarded the ball even though his opponent later establishes joint control of the ball.
    This is what happened and the replacement officials ignored that rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I do. The video shows the Packer DB with possession and Golden Tate putting his hands on the ball after the fact...

This is the rule:

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/forwardpass

This is what happened and the replacement officials ignored that rule.
    The problem is it's subjective, because it looks to me like Tate controls the ball with one hand before Jennings, also Tate is down on his back with ball in hands. So you contend that Tate never had any possesion of the ball ever?

Lingerie Football League commissioner mocks NFL for its low officiating standards

Tue, Sep 25, 2012 9:57 AM EDT
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl---l...standards.html

There is a pro football commissioner who's unafraid to blow the whistle on underperforming refs.
    There is a head of an American football league who has fired an officiating crew because he felt the integrity of his sport was at stake.

There is a pigskin boss who was willing to bite the bullet and admit he made a mistake.
    His name is Mitch Mortaza. He is the commissioner of the Lingerie Football League. And he feels the NFL has lowered its standards.
    Mortaza was surprised to learn a referee he says he dismissed for poor performance, Craig Ochoa, had been picked up by the NFL and placed into the NFL's marquee Hall of Fame game. Ochoa has not served in a regular-season game so far, but he remains with the NFL as an alternate. And Mortaza just can't get over it.
    "It was a bit of a shock to see guys that couldn't officiate in our league were officiating in the NFL," Mortaza says.

You may be surprised to learn Mortaza actually cares about the officiating in his league. Not many fans paying to see the Los Angeles Temptation and the Vegas Sin are going to fume about a blown call. It's safe to say the majority of the Lingerie Football League's fans want laundry on the field, but not the orange, flag-sized kind.
    But Mortaza becomes indignant when he speaks of his decision to get rid of an entire officiating crew, which included Ochoa.
    "They were hurting our overall broadcast caliber," Mortaza says. "And if it's opening up our players for potential injury, those things raise red flags here. Is it hurting overall credibility? When either of those two things are compromised, it's time to start thinking about parting ways."

And parting ways is what Mortaza decided to do. "The entire crew was released due to several poorly called games which included missed calls, poor judgment and poor presentation for broadcast," Mortaza says. The NFL disputes this, as it did when ProFootballTalk.com asked the league in August about Ochoa's background in the Lingerie Football League. "He said that is not true," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello wrote in an email, referring to Ochoa. "He was not dismissed by that league."
    An email to Ochoa was not returned.

Mortaza was so upset after Monday night's debacle in Seattle that he even released a statement, published by Deadspin saying his league had dispatched "a couple crews," which he says are now "apparently" in the NFL. "We felt it was only fair," Mortaza wrote, "that NFL fans knew the truth as to who are officiating these games."
    The conclusion here is not that Mitch Mortaza is a bastion of integrity. Nor is the takeaway that Ochoa is a blight on football. (Ochoa actually has a long career of officiating at many levels of the game.) The issue is that the head of the Lingerie Football League is a diehard Redskins fan who is, like everyone else, taken aback by the best football league in the world putting an inferior product on the field. How could the NFL actually think this is OK when the head of the LFL doesn't?

Mortaza is aware that his league is "behind the eight ball" when it comes to the credibility of the product on the field. Let's face it, how many people watch his players for the football? (How many even care that a football is used in the game?) But Mortaza's response is not to look the other way but to pay extra attention to who is running the game. "We comb colleges and Arena football," he says. "We hire all the people that test best. We do background checks. We get a ton of people that want to referee but seldom are they qualified."
    And when a referee crew is not up to snuff, at least in Mortaza's eyes, it gets dismissed. Simple as that.
    When Apple, the most valuable company in the world, has a defective part, it corrects the mistake. But when the NFL has substandard personnel, it does nothing. Of course "everyone makes mistakes," but a lot of these mistakes are correctable. There's no reason the 49ers should have been allowed extra challenges on Sunday. There's no reason the Titans should have been allowed extra yards after a personal foul. And there's no reason the last play of "Monday Night Football" couldn't have been overturned. These weren't snap judgments like a pass interference call. There was plenty of time for deliberation, calls made to the replay booth and adjustment. The NFL is telling us to believe in something that simply isn't believable. And "us" includes everyone from coaches to players to the head of a football league known for skin and silicone. If the head of a lingerie football league thinks the NFL needs to raise its standards, something is terribly wrong.

And to buy into what's happening every week on the field, well, to quote an oft-used phrase from the NFL's own bleachers: You gotta be blind.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    The problem is it's subjective, because it looks to me like Tate controls the ball with one hand before Jennings, also Tate is down on his back with ball in hands. So you contend that Tate never had any possesion of the ball ever?
    Jennings had possession of the ball. Afterward, Tate established joint possession. Per the rule, Jennings should have been awarded the INT because he first established possession and maintained control despite Tate's joint possession later...

Legend
    In slow motion Tate has a hand inside of Jennings when the ball is coming down.. IMO it still looked like Jennings had "possession" first but this is why you knock the pass down instead of trying to catch it....

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Looks like we may finally have some progress, ladies and gentlemen...it's about freaking time...

Sources: Ref lockout could end soon
    Updated: September 26, 2012, 12:13 PM ET
    By Chris Mortensen | ESPN

The NFL and the NFL Referees Association made enough progress in negotiations Tuesday night that the possibility of the locked-out officials returning in time to work this week's games has been discussed, according to sources on both sides.

An agreement in principle is at hand, according to one source familiar to talks, although NFL owners have postured with a "no more compromise" stance.

Although league sources said it would take a week to get the locked-out officials on the field, the NFLRA says its 121 referees have been trained on the new rules implemented last season, have already passed physicals or are prepared to pass physicals immediately. New official game uniforms designed by Nike are "hardly an obstacle," according to a source.

Both sides have made concessions on previous sticking points such as a taxi squad of 21 new officials and pension plans that sources say the final meaningful hurdle is, as one source said, "about a little more money."

While league sources say owners who participated in a conference call with commissioner Roger Goodell during Tuesday's talks had instructed the negotiating team to set a firm barrier for the financial settlement, the NFLRA is prepared to accept a new agreement primarily in the form of a "ratification bonus," which would compensate its 121-member union for concessions it is willing to make.

The NFLRA and the league have all but agreed on developing a 21-member "taxi squad" that Goodell has pushed, but not at the financial cost of the union members.

The NFLRA, citing that it once utilized the now-defunct NFL Europe as a training ground of prospective officials, is willing to train 21 officials from the major college ranks by including them in offseason seminars as well as incorporate them in training camp work.

The NFLRA would not unionize those officials and would want them compensated by the league if "they are brought up from the minors" to work a regular-season game.

Goodell has wanted the power to "bench" officials who underperform or are downgraded during the season. The NFLRA contends the league already has that ability because there are always between one and four crews that sit home each week and would be more qualified to substitute in such a scenario.

The NFLRA also wants to form an "expert committee" that would be major contributors to the league's stated goal to improve officiating. Under this proposal, the committee would be comprised of some of the top retired officials and supervisors of major college conferences who had served as NFL officials.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84...y-week-sources

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Looks like we may finally have some progress, ladies and gentlemen...it's about freaking time...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84...y-week-sources
    I can,t believe I'm saying this but I hope the real Ref's are back soon

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Molon labe

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    I can,t believe I'm saying this but I hope the real Ref's are back soon
    Not me. I liked the controversy and it made games interesting to watch, instead of the regulars throwing a flag on every other play and reciting some rule. And it didn't cost the Steelers any games anyhow.

And at least we could count on the subs to not make up rules as they go along, like the regular refs did, ala "tuck rule", and other obscure situations.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 09-26-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Complaining NFL fans need to show unhappiness over officiating by tuning out games
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--co...out-games.html

So you hate the idea of replacement refs ruining your precious games and the "greedy billionaire" owners who have forced you to watch a bastardized version of it?

Here's my reaction to your whining: Until you decide to stop watching the games, zip it.

Now, there is some relief in sight after progress was made Tuesday night and early Wednesday. One NFL owner told Yahoo! Sports that he could see a settlement with the NFL Referees Association to end the lockout by the end of this week or next. NFL Network reported that the league and the referees' association bridged the gap on the addition of "developmental" refs. It's basically 21 additional refs to be brought in to be available as other refs decline in performance.

That leaves the pension issue as the last major stumbling block. In short, what's actually happening on the field has little to do with the progress of the talks. This fight is about money, plain and simple. That's the bottom line in the aftermath of the Seattle Screw, Fail Mary, Simultaneous Misreception or whatever other names are given to the last play of Seattle's controversial win over Green Bay on Monday night.

While it's easy to understand the pleas to NFL owners and management (that would be you, commissioner Roger Goodell) about bringing back the veteran refs, here's what I have to say to that:

Who are you kidding?

The NFL has known for years now that fans will come crawling back to the game. Yeah, you might be strong enough to swear off the stuff for a day or two, but the reality is you can't resist.

NFL owners know their game of controlled violence generally packaged in a three-hour window of time and topped with a bunch of rituals (tailgaters, player introductions and the national anthem among them) is the perfect once-a-week event for those people seeking some mindless escape. Every time you see Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones flashing that wry smile, it's because he knows he has found a fool-proof way of making money.

So that's why I say to all fans who are complaining about the system, shut your yaps. Unless you really want to do something, put a sock in it. The same goes for so many current and former NFL players, from T.J. Lang to John Lynch. I respect what you guys do. You play or played a brutal, tough sport. But when it comes to making sacrifices that hit at philosophical and ethical issues, let's get serious.

If people who love the NFL really want something to change, there is one quick answer available to them on Thursday night: Don't watch the Cleveland Browns-Baltimore Ravens game on Thursday night on NFL Network. You've got choices. There's "Grey's Anatomy", "The X Factor", "The Office" and "Two and a Half Men". If you need a sports fix, there's this thing called baseball that is about to start its playoffs.

Oh yeah, baseball, the game that used to be known as the National Pastime.

Until fans are willing to turn off from the NFL, the owners have no incentive to change their business practices. Why should they when the fans (and the fans' money) keep rolling in?

I know this is not an original thought. Fans talk about boycotts and make other idle threats all the time. Word on Tuesday out of Wisconsin was that some fans were trying to organize a walkout at halftime of the Packers game against New Orleans on Sunday.

I'll believe it when I see it.

What I'm far more likely to see is owners sitting in their luxury boxes, smiling at the fans who keep handing them money, even when a critical part of the product is second-rate. Sure, some owners realize that they are playing a dangerous game. It's not good that the only thing people are really discussing about the Monday night game was the officiating and not the stunning defensive performances by both the Seahawks and the Packers.

For now, the owners are very confident that once this lockout is settled, it will quickly fade into every fan's distant memory.

Sort of the way $8 beers flow down their throats.

Molon labe