Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Tomlin Fire LeBeau by going for it on that 4th down on our own 20 at the end of ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Did Tomlin Fire LeBeau by going for it on that 4th down on our own 20 at the end of ?

... at the end of the game? Not literally of course, but effectively?

I was thinking during the time out, that if he went for it he would be declaring - "I have LESS THAN ZERO confidence in your defense, so I will do my best to not let them on the field, even if it means giving the other team the ball within field goal range in a tie game with almost no time left on the clock".

That is pretty much giving him LeBeau his family jewels back in a brown paper bag, IMO.

Thoughts?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Lebeau may have had a senior moment today.

Starter

User Info Menu

Wasnt that the same thing he did against Green Bay two years ago? I think he tried an onside kick because we werent stopping them either. That one we won 36-35 on the last play of the game on a pass to Wallace. LeBeau didnt get fired for that one.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree. If he was willing to go for it on 4th and 1, why not go for it on 4th and 9??? There was NO reason to believe the defense could stop them. Leave it in your offense's hands and let them try to win it. Yes, it's much further to go, but our defense was terrible today.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Great call. The Raiders could have scored from the upper deck today
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Lebeau may have had a senior moment today.
    Nothing that anyone couldn't have seen coming for the past couple of seasons if they just wanted to look. What happened today is how we lose. Zero pressure and lots of short completions.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    Wasnt that the same thing he did against Green Bay two years ago? I think he tried an onside kick because we werent stopping them either. That one we won 36-35 on the last play of the game on a pass to Wallace. LeBeau didnt get fired for that one.

Good point, winwithd, though I have to admit I don't remember that specifically ("It's De River ... it's De Nile"). But that was against the World Caliber Packers. This was against Carson Friggin' Palmer and the Rayduhhs. But good point, nonetheless ... uggh.

Is that also the same call Bellicheat made a few years ago against the Ravens?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it was more of his lack of confidence in the players than LeBeau.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal View Post
    I agree. If he was willing to go for it on 4th and 1, why not go for it on 4th and 9??? There was NO reason to believe the defense could stop them. Leave it in your offense's hands and let them try to win it. Yes, it's much further to go, but our defense was terrible today.
    It was 4th and inches. The chances on making inches are considerably higher than making a 4th and 9

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    I think it was more of his lack of confidence in the players than LeBeau.
    Isn't the coordinator responsible for what the players do? Isn't that what heard about Arians for the past three years until they rightfully got rid of him? Got rid of one too few coordinators.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"