Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why this D can't stop anyone in the 4th Q.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Why this D can't stop anyone in the 4th Q.

We've had this problem with the D for several years now. Actually, even though Cowher has this amazing stat about him always winning when he is ahead in the 2nd half, there were signs of it then, to some degree. Here is my theory.

The reason this team's D folds in the later part of the game is because teams have to just throw and throw. And, that is how you beat this D. When teams try to use downs rushing the ball, they mostly fail, leaving them with less downs of throwing the ball. Once teams just use most downs to pass, they get into a rhythm. When going a more traditional attack, they don't get into the rhythm and waste a lot of downs on rushes that don't usually work well vs. this D (or they didn't used to, we will see, McFadden jacked them up.)

Do you remember the 2001 season? (I think). Our first two opponents had potent passing games and BOTH didn't bother with the rush, pretty much all game (The Tom Brady Patriots and then the Rich Gannon Raiders). Both teams ripped the D to shreds and we couldn't stop them all game. I believe that teams behind in the 4th go into the same mode, of just passing it all over the field, and it works, as that is the way you beat our D. GB did it to us in the Super Bowl as well. As games enter that phase, QBs get rolling and our pass rush gets gassed and that's a bad combination. And, let's be fair, all this chat about how horrible Palmer is, well, that's not entirely true. He is a pro bowl QB and this is his first full year with his new team. Yes, at one point, he was overrated, but he isn't chopped liver either. He has a nice, strong arm and led the AFC in passing heading into this game. Plus, he is very familiar with Pgh's D.

Any how, that's my theory one why this D often crumbles down the stretch.

It's not like the players just don't care and quit trying. They want to win more than we want them to win.

Rookie

User Info Menu

This D is too dependent upon having Troy and Harrison healthy...

There are other players who can do different things, but we don't emphasize those players schematically...

Administrator

User Info Menu

I disagree to a certain extend. In years past, we did not need to sell out to stop the run. We could play our base 3-4 and teams never had a chance of a running attack. Now, teams can run on us AND throw on us.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    This D is too dependent upon having Troy and Harrison healthy...

There are other players who can do different things, but we don't emphasize those players schematically...

True....but being too dependent on a 31 and 34 y/o is just plain stupid and that has been the case for several years. What is our record without Troy in the lineup again?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I disagree to a certain extend. In years past, we did not need to sell out to stop the run. We could play our base 3-4 and teams never had a chance of a running attack. Now, teams can run on us AND throw on us.
    Yea, I was speaking in our history. Today could be a different deal, with us just sucking vs. the rush from age and missing former players. Our D really crumbled down the stretch of games in all of 2009. So, we weren't as old then and still could never defend a lead. There must be a reason.

Legend

User Info Menu

agreed. the loss of A. Smith was the beginning of the end for the run D. Guy pretty much dominated everyone he faced. The Steelers have to bring safety help up to the line on a regular basis now to stop the run. Makes it easy for the offense to show one look, then change based on the safety position. Easy yards....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

True....but being too dependent on a 31 and 34 y/o is just plain stupid and that has been the case for several years. What is our record without Troy in the lineup again?
    We are basically a .500 team without TP in the line up. Maybe below it now.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    agreed. the loss of A. Smith was the beginning of the end for the run D. Guy pretty much dominated everyone he faced. The Steelers have to bring safety help up to the line on a regular basis now to stop the run. Makes it easy for the offense to show one look, then change based on the safety position. Easy yards....
    Also, there is no way Hampton can be as effective as he was in year's past. No way. That is a huge factor as well. It has got to be.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree!

The year that Beady and Gannon torched the Steelers was 2002.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Also, there is no way Hampton can be as effective as he was in year's past. No way. That is a huge factor as well. It has got to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yup.

I understand guys can't play forever and their play declines as they age.

The bad news is that our defensive players are continuing to age and we are trying to replace them with inferior players. It's not like we haven't spent high picks on defense. It's that these high picks are not developing and performing at the level their expected. That might work when it's 1 player. You can disguise it. Right now, we are weak at multiple positions.