Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The window is closed however.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The window is closed however.....

I do believe the window for winning another championship has closed but I also believe it could be re-opened very quickly in this off-season if the right moves are made. This team desperately needs a legitimate corner. Look at the Cardinals defense and what it has become since the arrival of Patrick Peterson. He has completely change the entire dynamic of that team/defense.

Troy, Woodley, Ziggy, Heyward, Harrison, and Clark are enough to build around. However, Taylor, Hampton, Keisel, Foote, and Timmons are becoming non-factors and in the case of Taylor and Foote are liabilities. Worilds and Carter are nothing more than bodies. Neither one has shown anything that would reflect any positive return.

A blue chip corner and a legit inside run stuffing LB is a major priority for this team if it wants to win another championship.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Patrick Petersons come around, oh, like once a decade or so. I don't know if there is ANY CB in college who offers what he does. His size and speed ratio, and football instincts, are off the charts. That dude is ridiculous. I doubt there is anyone in the draft who is comparable. He is the ultimate athlete. It's a shame that they basically missed on the Hood, Heyward, Timmons, and those other 6-10 LB prospects, or we wouldn't be in so much trouble. This team is bordering on less than average in a big hurry. Our O-line and rushing game are already far below average, and now the D is falling as well. We are basically going to resemble high wire, pass all the time teams that have no D or rushing game. No fun to me.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Patrick Petersons come around, oh, like once a decade or so. I don't know if there is ANY CB in college who offers what he does. His size and speed ratio, and football instincts, are off the charts. That dude is ridiculous. I doubt there is anyone in the draft who is comparable. He is the ultimate athlete. It's a shame that they basically missed on the Hood, Heyward, Timmons, and those other 6-10 LB prospects, or we wouldn't be in so much trouble. This team is bordering on less than average in a big hurry. Our O-line and rushing game are already far below average, and now the D is falling as well. We are basically going to resemble high wire, pass all the time teams that have no D or rushing game. No fun to me.
    I dont argue that Peterson is a cut above however if we look at the draft there are several bonafide CB's who have come out recently. Morris Clayborne, Patrick Peterson, Darrelle Revis, etc. And then there have been some pretty solid ones too, Joe Haden, Devin McCourty, Vontae Davis, Leon Hall, etc. This upcoming draft has some guys who have a chance to stand out and have the size-speed ratio that are very attractive....Jonathan Banks, David Amerson, and Xavier Rhodes.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

I still scratch my head that we draft a DE like Timmons and expect to convert him into some kind of MLB phenom. He's a talented athlete, but seems lost most of the time because he's playing out of his natural position. He was a great speed rusher in college, but has slowed way down because of the bulk he's added to play LB. Foote is old and busted and was a stop-gap measure this season to cover Farrior's departure. We need a legit MLB.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I do believe the window for winning another championship has closed but I also believe it could be re-opened very quickly in this off-season if the right moves are made. This team desperately needs a legitimate corner. Look at the Cardinals defense and what it has become since the arrival of Patrick Peterson. He has completely change the entire dynamic of that team/defense.

Troy, Woodley, Ziggy, Heyward, Harrison, and Clark are enough to build around. However, Taylor, Hampton, Keisel, Foote, and Timmons are becoming non-factors and in the case of Taylor and Foote are liabilities. Worilds and Carter are nothing more than bodies. Neither one has shown anything that would reflect any positive return.

A blue chip corner and a legit inside run stuffing LB is a major priority for this team if it wants to win another championship.
    I disagree that Timmons is a non-factor. However I do agree that changes need to be made. This season isn't a lost cause yet but if our defense continues to play the passive bend don't break (but really break) style then the season will be lost. Passing offenses are too sophisticated with too many options to play that anymore. I would rather finish the season 8-8 but have our defense in attack mode every play than the nonsense we saw in Week #1 and yesterday.

I will say after the season we need a real objective and honest assessment of what defense we play and what our current roster is best suited for. Plus what style of defense we can keep the young players coming in and contributing early versus serving extended internships making marginal contributions.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    I still scratch my head that we draft a DE like Timmons and expect to convert him into some kind of MLB phenom. He's a talented athlete, but seems lost most of the time because he's playing out of his natural position. He was a great speed rusher in college, but has slowed way down because of the bulk he's added to play LB. Foote is old and busted and was a stop-gap measure this season to cover Farrior's departure. We need a legit MLB.
    Timmons was a LB in college not a DE. He came out as a classiic weakside OLB in a 4-3 defense and was favorably compared to Derrick Brooks of the Bucs. However, we moved him inside where his speed was marginalized and then he gained weight to be strong at the point of attack against the run. However, if our DL was playing the way they should the OL should never get to him. It is a waste to take an athlete that talented out of the "run and hit" mode to the MLB run stuffer mode.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

enough with the excuses for timmons already.

the guy is average at best and nowhere near worth the checks he is cashing.

anybody who says otherwise is just pushing an agenda as usual.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    enough with the excuses for timmons already.

the guy is average at best and nowhere near worth the checks he is cashing.

anybody who says otherwise is just pushing an agenda as usual.
    +1...Thank you...you beat me to it...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Timmons was a LB in college not a DE. He came out as a classiic weakside OLB in a 4-3 defense and was favorably compared to Derrick Brooks of the Bucs. However, we moved him inside where his speed was marginalized and then he gained weight to be strong at the point of attack against the run. However, if our DL was playing the way they should the OL should never get to him. It is a waste to take an athlete that talented out of the "run and hit" mode to the MLB run stuffer mode.
    Timmons actually played strong side LB in college...I much preferred his speed and play making ability at the mack when he was down to 235-240 lbs...

Legend

User Info Menu

"Build around" and "Ziggy" should never be mentioned in the same sentence.
    Ziggy has gone for so many rides this year he should have a bus pass.
    As long as Ben is here there is always a shot for another superbowl win.