I can be critical of BB but not in this case. The 'D gave up 34 points. How is that on Ben? He has ZERO running game, a crappy defense, and a o-line that is banged up. Ben carried the team the entire day and somehow the loss is his fault because he didn't make a play?
We were able to keep the ball a fair amount of time even without a great running game.
If it weren't for 2 lost fumbles we likely put up 40 points and have close to 40 mins TOP
Who cares if its not the 'Steeler way'. Especially if the defense plays even 10% of what they're supposed to play like when healthy
Thats dominating football
I'm not sure what all the analysis is about this game. It's pretty simple ... the defense didn't do it's job. That doesn't mean that other areas didn't have mistakes. It just means that the defense played lousy.
I think the discussion should be 'why' the defense played lousy. I know some here think it's because of LeBeau and others think it's a lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball. I think it's mostly on the players and here is why:
- Keisel ... doing his best impression of Aaron Smith from last year
- Hampton ... how can a guy that big be invisible during a game?
- Timmons ... Thought his play last year was because they switched his position but this year its no better (and I'm a Timmons fan).
- Woodley ... very inconsistent but a lot of this I put on DL. He's our best pass rusher so use him that way ALL the time.
- Harrison ... not on the field. He needs to play for our scheme to be effective
- Troy ... also not on the field. He also needs to play for our scheme to work.
- Hood ... who?
- Mundy ... why?
My kudos on the defensive side of the ball go out to what I call our "glue" players which are players that hold everything together. Those guys are Ryan Clark and Larry Foote who have been solid like always. Nothing too flashy but just good sound foodball. Aside from them there isn't much I've seen that I like.
I'm critical of Ben at times but dammit... he had a great game. If admitting it scares you or puts the fear of God in your heart then don't post after he puts up 4TD's and 380 yards.