Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the NFL just the NBA now?

Legend

User Info Menu

Is the NFL just the NBA now?

"The two teams are scoring at will" ... that is what nfl.com is saying deep into the 4th qrtr of the Pats*/Ravens game.

Are we at the point yet where one can tune in for the last few minutes of the 4th qrtr to "watch the game", just like a basketball game? Because the offenses are just going to basically score every time they get the ball, so there's no point in watching the 1st 3 and a half quarters?

I like 10-6 games. But the rules are going to make them extinct, with games more likely to be to a 35-28, last team with the ball wins.

FWIW, I've watched a lot less NFL this year.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes, I was just thinking this same thing driving home. Football is a video game right now, pure and simple. No rhyme, no reason. Just the ball moving up and down the field at will.
    Last edited by Shoe; 09-24-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Also hard to watch when a flag is thrown every other play.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Ravens defense actually won the game for them by stopping Tom Brady when they needed to, unlike the Steeler defense today.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i have watched A LOT less football so far this year. and almost none of the ESPN pregame show that i used to LOVE. Just too much agrandizing of the quarterbacks, new 'greatest of all time' every year, and human interest stories on players that grew up in the slums.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Backup

User Info Menu

I only watch the games. I do not watch any of the pre-game or post-game shows. For that matter, I always tune into the game five minutes after the scheduled time so that the first thing I see is the opening kickoff.

For as ****ty as ESPN has become as a TV network, though, I still enjoy listening to ESPN Radio.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Thursday night pre game show is one of the worst things I've seen on television since I'm A Celeberity Get Me Out Of Here. This statement really has nothing to do with anything, but I just needed to say that.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The Ravens defense actually won the game for them by stopping Tom Brady when they needed to, unlike the Steeler defense today.

Pappy
    That's because the Ravens defense hasn't been complacent. They have made changes. Some forced like when Ryan left but they continue to be aggressive and go into every game wanting to beat up the opponents not play it safe.

Fans can bemoan the fact that scoring is on the rise but that is a waste of time. The NFL is more popular than ever and is making more money than ever. Fast paced, up tempo is how it is going to be so embrace it or become a soccer fan if you like low scoring affairs.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 09-24-2012 at 07:50 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That's because the Ravens defense hasn't been complacent. They have made changes. Some forced like when Ryan left but they continue to be aggressive and go into every game wanting to beat up the opponents not play it safe.

Fans can bemoan the fact that scoring is on the rise but that is a waste of time. The NFL is more popular than ever and is making more money than ever. Fast paced, up tempo is how it is going to be so embrace it or become a soccer fan if you like low scoring affairs.
    I'm already a soccer fan and will watch a good soccer match instead of a football game except Steeler games. The Steeler games are the only ones I have any interest in watching. I'm traveling and staying in a hotel in Birmingham and only watched the last 5 or 6 minutes of last night's game, it was a good game and I was a captive audience, not much to do in Birmingham. I've already made the decision on the NFL and football in general. My kids, while Steeler fans, only want to watch games if I watch with them. It may take time, but over time (probably after I'm no longer extant) the NFL will suffer for the decisions being made today, IMHO.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    Actually, the Ravens won because their Qb put them in position to score late. Flacco scored in the 4th quarter and thats why they won. Those are the hurtful facts