Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Is the NFL just the NBA now?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Is the NFL just the NBA now?

    "The two teams are scoring at will" ... that is what nfl.com is saying deep into the 4th qrtr of the Pats*/Ravens game.

    Are we at the point yet where one can tune in for the last few minutes of the 4th qrtr to "watch the game", just like a basketball game? Because the offenses are just going to basically score every time they get the ball, so there's no point in watching the 1st 3 and a half quarters?

    I like 10-6 games. But the rules are going to make them extinct, with games more likely to be to a 35-28, last team with the ball wins.

    FWIW, I've watched a lot less NFL this year.


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,517
    Yes, I was just thinking this same thing driving home. Football is a video game right now, pure and simple. No rhyme, no reason. Just the ball moving up and down the field at will.
    Last edited by Shoe; 09-24-2012 at 12:19 AM.

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,873
    Also hard to watch when a flag is thrown every other play.

  4. #4
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,821
    The Ravens defense actually won the game for them by stopping Tom Brady when they needed to, unlike the Steeler defense today.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,188
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The Ravens defense actually won the game for them by stopping Tom Brady when they needed to, unlike the Steeler defense today.

    Pappy
    That's because the Ravens defense hasn't been complacent. They have made changes. Some forced like when Ryan left but they continue to be aggressive and go into every game wanting to beat up the opponents not play it safe.

    Fans can bemoan the fact that scoring is on the rise but that is a waste of time. The NFL is more popular than ever and is making more money than ever. Fast paced, up tempo is how it is going to be so embrace it or become a soccer fan if you like low scoring affairs.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 09-24-2012 at 07:50 AM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  6. #6
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That's because the Ravens defense hasn't been complacent. They have made changes. Some forced like when Ryan left but they continue to be aggressive and go into every game wanting to beat up the opponents not play it safe.

    Fans can bemoan the fact that scoring is on the rise but that is a waste of time. The NFL is more popular than ever and is making more money than ever. Fast paced, up tempo is how it is going to be so embrace it or become a soccer fan if you like low scoring affairs.
    I'm already a soccer fan and will watch a good soccer match instead of a football game except Steeler games. The Steeler games are the only ones I have any interest in watching. I'm traveling and staying in a hotel in Birmingham and only watched the last 5 or 6 minutes of last night's game, it was a good game and I was a captive audience, not much to do in Birmingham. I've already made the decision on the NFL and football in general. My kids, while Steeler fans, only want to watch games if I watch with them. It may take time, but over time (probably after I'm no longer extant) the NFL will suffer for the decisions being made today, IMHO.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,188
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I'm already a soccer fan and will watch a good soccer match instead of a football game except Steeler games. The Steeler games are the only ones I have any interest in watching. I'm traveling and staying in a hotel in Birmingham and only watched the last 5 or 6 minutes of last night's game, it was a good game and I was a captive audience, not much to do in Birmingham. I've already made the decision on the NFL and football in general. My kids, while Steeler fans, only want to watch games if I watch with them. It may take time, but over time (probably after I'm no longer extant) the NFL will suffer for the decisions being made today, IMHO.

    Pappy
    Pretty much the same for me but I've become a huge soccer fan because my daughters have played i for the past 15 years and I have a daughter playing in college now. Once you understand soccer it is actually very interesting. Many of the same principles as hockey and I love hockey.

    I still watch mny NFL games but always the Steelers. I really don't mind the offense. To me that is more enjoyable than watching punters and kickers take center stage.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  8. #8
    Backup
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The Ravens defense actually won the game for them by stopping Tom Brady when they needed to, unlike the Steeler defense today.

    Pappy
    Actually, the Ravens won because their Qb put them in position to score late. Flacco scored in the 4th quarter and thats why they won. Those are the hurtful facts

  9. #9
    Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    Actually, the Ravens won because their Qb put them in position to score late. Flacco scored in the 4th quarter and thats why they won. Those are the hurtful facts
    Yeah, right steelers43...... I mean.... stopplayn. Flacco is now the elite QB. Ben and Brady aren't.

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hey Roger...
    Posts
    3,040
    i have watched A LOT less football so far this year. and almost none of the ESPN pregame show that i used to LOVE. Just too much agrandizing of the quarterbacks, new 'greatest of all time' every year, and human interest stories on players that grew up in the slums.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •