Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben was Huge for 3 Quarters

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    "It's almost laughable." - Almost, Gal... Not only is there not a single team in the NFL afraid of the Steelers D; they are salivating at the thought of playing these guys. Almost has left the building...
    And he jumped from a window on the 34th floor!

Rockon

Legend

User Info Menu

Post-Oakland thoughts

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2012
    posted by Dale Lolley

@ Ben Roethlisberger played an outstanding game, leading the team to 31 points while continuing his hot play on third downs, where the Steelers converted 8 of 14 for the game.

But he once again had a chance to lead a fourth quarter, game-winning drive and failed.

In the past two seasons, Roethlisberger has led exactly one game-winner, and that came against lowly Indianapolis last season.

In his first seven seasons, Roethlisberger led 26 such drives, many of which came when he was, you know, just a game manager.

[URL]http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal View Post
    Apparently you've never read quotes from Ben before because he ALWAYS shoulders the blame after a loss, even when it isn't justified. The guy has taken countless sacks over the years. Some because he held the ball too long, but many because he oline screwed up. He never once called them out or shoved them on the field, like Cutler did a few weeks back. He is the consumate professional. Ben will never say anyone else messed up.

If you want to give our defense a pass, then got it during week 1, when Peyton lit them up. That was their 'mulligan'. It's week 3 and they should be playing better. Yes, Troy and James are out, so there's understandably gonna be a drop off. But what they're showing is just flat out terrible. Whether it's the scheme, players, or coaching I don't know but they better get it fixed quick. No one is scared of this defense anymore. It's almost laughable.
    I know Ben takes the blame but does he lie? He is a stand up guy and I love that about him. EVERYONE in the Steeler organization KNOWS the sacks come because of Bens "style'. Only the biased fans THINK its the line. Do you ever wonder how Dixon can start ONE game vs the Ravens and pass for 26 times and have ZERO sacks. Same thing happens when Batch is in. WHEN have we ever had a qb sacked 7 or 8 times when Ben is out? It DOESNT happen. The sack problem is NOT the line. Its Ben.

How do you explan the sack problem under Wiz and Grimm? Shall I post the numbers again? Was our line terrible under Wiz and Grimm? Heck no.

Ben 295 Att 30 sacks
    P.Manning 497 Att 13 sacks
    Plummer 521 Att 15 sacks
    Favre 540 Att 12 sacks

Ben 261 Atts 23 sacks
    P.Manning 453 Atts 17 sacks
    C.Palmer 509 Atts 19 sacks
    Brady 530 Atts 26 sacks

Ben 469 Atts 46 sacks
    P.Manning 557 Atts 14 sacks
    Brees 554 Atts 18 sacks
    Rivers 467 Atts 27 sacks

The evidence is clear

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    We could go with "spam" you turn every thread into a "I hate Ben thread"
    I Dont hate Ben. You just hate my posts about him. Please show me where I have lied on him.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Post-Oakland thoughts

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2012
    posted by Dale Lolley

@ Ben Roethlisberger played an outstanding game, leading the team to 31 points while continuing his hot play on third downs, where the Steelers converted 8 of 14 for the game.

But he once again had a chance to lead a fourth quarter, game-winning drive and failed.

In the past two seasons, Roethlisberger has led exactly one game-winner, and that came against lowly Indianapolis last season.

In his first seven seasons, Roethlisberger led 26 such drives, many of which came when he was, you know, just a game manager.

[URL]http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/[/URL]
    And this is precisely what I have been saying. The only thing I would add is that he had those 26 comebacks is because for the most part he played poorly prior to coming back.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    And this is precisely what I have been saying. The only thing I would add is that he had those 26 comebacks is because for the most part he played poorly prior to coming back.

So, Ben used to play poorly for 3 quarters and then played great as the comeback-kid in the 4th.

Now, he plays great for 3 quarters and plays poorly in the 4th.

Got it.

What's funny is that all the stats that certain Ben "critics" throw around in support of their theory that he's not one of the elite, can be used against other QBs and they never are. Sacks, Rings, first half rating, second half rating, Playoff wins, overall win/loss record - it doesn't matter. Ben stacks up very well against any QB in the league. He's not perfect. And neither is Peyton, Brady, Rogers, Eli, Rivers, Stafford, etc...

Peyton looks average under pressure and choked in playoffs for years until he relied on something other than his jitterbug passing to get a ring.
    Brady hasn't won a ring since he stopped cheating and looks equially average when under pressure and drops like a girl at the sight of a defender in the backfield.
    Rogers takes all the sacks that Ben does. His line isn't worse than ours. One-and-done in the playoffs last year.
    Rivers - for all the regular season stats he piles up, what has he done?

Try to appreciate the fact that we have a winner of a franchise QB in Ben, even with all his inperfections. Bitching and moaning about his imperfections isn't going to change anything. He is what he is and we've won a LOT of games with him. He won't be around forever and we might have to agonize through another period like we did between Bradshaw and Ben before we find another one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    So, Ben used to play poorly for 3 quarters and then played great as the comeback-kid in the 4th.

Got it.

What's funny is that all the stats that certain Ben "critics" throw around in support of their theory that he's not one of the elite, can be used against other QBs and they never are. Sacks, Rings, first half rating, second half rating, Playoff wins, overall win/loss record - it doesn't matter. Ben stacks up very well against any QB in the league. He's not perfect. And neither is Peyton, Brady, Rogers, Eli, Rivers, Stafford, etc...

Peyton looks average under pressure and choked in playoffs for years until he relied on something other than his jitterbug passing to get a ring.
    Brady hasn't won a ring since he stopped cheating and looks equially average when under pressure and drops like a girl at the sight of a defender in the backfield.
    Rogers takes all the sacks that Ben does. His line isn't worse than ours. One-and-done in the playoffs last year.

Try to appreciate the fact that we have a winner of a franchise QB in Ben, even with all his inperfections. Bitching and moaning about his imperfections isn't going to change anything. He is what he is and we've won a LOT of games with him. He won't be around forever and we might have to agonize through another period like we did between Bradshaw and Ben before we find another one.
    I've been saying this for years now about Ben. He doesn't play the position in the preconceived way that some fans want him to play, so in their eyes he's not as good as others and never will be. And, because of that style, many believe that he doesn't pre-snap read, can't throw in rhythm, etc, he's been on time, on rhythm for many seasons, but what he can also do if he gets through progressions and doesn't find anybody open is extend the play. For some reason extending the play to try and make a splash play on offense has become a bad thing when Ben does it, but not Rogers, Newton, Stafford, etc.

As I've said before, rather than always looking for the warts enjoy Ben while he's playing, he'll be gone someday and someone like Dixon, Leftwich or Batch will step in and then you'll see exactly how good Ben is/was.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    It's also interesting that Brady won 3 Super Bowls when he was only a "game manager" type of QB from 2001 to 2004...since he has become an "elite" type of QB throwing for 4000-5000 yards per year...no Super Bowl victories.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I've been saying this for years now about Ben. He doesn't play the position in the preconceived way that some fans want him to play, so in their eyes he's not as good as others and never will be. And, because of that style, many believe that he doesn't pre-snap read, can't throw in rhythm, etc, he's been on time, on rhythm for many seasons, but what he can also do if he gets through progressions and doesn't find anybody open is extend the play. For some reason extending the play to try and make a splash play on offense has become a bad thing when Ben does it, but not Rogers, Newton, Stafford, etc.

As I've said before, rather than always looking for the warts enjoy Ben while he's playing, he'll be gone someday and someone like Dixon, Leftwich or Batch will step in and then you'll see exactly how good Ben is/was.

Pappy
    Enjoy it while it lasts is dead on the money. We've got it GREAT. Just in case people have forgotten or aren't old enough to remember:

1984 - 2004:
    Cliff Stoudt
    Mark Malone (Magnum PI)
    David Woodley
    Scott Campbell
    Bubby Brister
    Steve Bono (3rd string on the Vikings b/f Pgh)
    Todd Blackledge
    Neil O'Donnell
    Mike Tomczak
    Jim Miller
    Kordell Stewart
    Kent Grahmn ( I mean what the #$%^...)
    Tommy Maddox

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post

Got it.

Peyton Manning doesnt play on the Steelers with Troy Polamalu, James Harrison, Joey Porter and Ryan Clark, He also has been provided with talent the likes of Plaxicon Burress, Jerome Bettis, Rashard Mendenhall, Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes, Heath Miller and Antonio Brown. Manning has never had that much talent. IF he had that talent on the Steelers he wouldnt be a one time champ. Despite having a worse Team than Ben Manning has a better head to head record vs Ben. He also has better playoff stats than Ben. Just has a worse TEAM record. That is to be expected because Ben plays on the better team.

Brady cheated? Oh I thought it was bellicheat. Brady had put his team in position to win twice but the D failed him. Its ironic how you guys dont blame OUR QB for late game faliures but yet you blame Brady in similar situations. Hypocrisy.

Aaron Rodgers doesnt take the sacks that Ben does. Ben is the most sacked qb in the league. Followed by Vick or Cutler. Rodgers has proven he is an elite decision maker.

Rivers- See this is more hyporcrisy. You compare Rivers to Ben individually but then you throw a TEAM comparrison in at the end. Rivers has better stats than Ben ON A LESSER TEAM. What do you think those stats would be if Rivers had the supporting cast that Ben has?

Ben is a winner because he is a STEELER. Put him on the Bucs, Browns etc and he has zero rings in my opinion. We have won a lot of games with Kordell too something like 45 in 3 or 4 years. No Super Bowls but did we do all that winning with that BUM because Kordell is great or because the STEELERS are?

I have never called Ben a bum nor am I saying Kordell is equal or better (absurd) KORDELL SUX but we went 13-3 with him. Doesnt mean he is great just means the team is.