Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Predictions on the Mundy hit penalty and other fall out

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    He'll get the standard $21K fine just because he's a Steeler...

No suspension...

However, it will just reinforce the perception that the Steelers balk at the rules and therefore refs will be quicker to call more personal fouls in the future for legal hits like what Ryan Clark got in the Jets game.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm with the it just happened crowd. No need to fine or suspend anyone. Although I hope Troy and Clark get back on the field together soon.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'm with the it just happened crowd. No need to fine or suspend anyone. Although I hope Troy and Clark get back on the field together soon.
    A fine is guaranteed. When you have 12 minutes of television "drama" with a player lying unconscious on the field surrounded by emergency crews, a statement will be send. It is essential for the leagues upcoming legal cases by former players to show they are proactively trying to stop these types of hits everytime they happen.

I had hopes for Mundy but he is clearly below the standard when he has to start. We need two safeties in the next draft really bad.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    However, it will just reinforce the perception that the Steelers balk at the rules and therefore refs will be quicker to call more personal fouls in the future for legal hits like what Ryan Clark got in the Jets game.
    The Steelers have already been penalized 28 times in three games...the refs are already too quick to call penalties on the Steelers...

While the Steelers are not yet the most penalized team in the NFL (they are 4th most) the increase in penalties called on the Steelers has been pretty dramatic...
    Last edited by Slapstick; 09-25-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The Steelers have already been penalized 28 times in three games...the refs are already too quick to call penalties on the Steelers...
    And Mundy's hit will just ensure that trend continues. I'm not blaming Mundy because it was a band-bang play but it was illegal.

Rookie

User Info Menu

And Mundy's hit will just ensure that trend continues. I'm not blaming Mundy because it was a band-bang play but it was illegal.
    The trend was going to continue regardless of what Mundy did or did not do...

Legend

User Info Menu

A fine is guaranteed. When you have 12 minutes of television "drama" with a player lying unconscious on the field surrounded by emergency crews, a statement will be send. It is essential for the leagues upcoming legal cases by former players to show they are proactively trying to stop these types of hits everytime they happen.

I had hopes for Mundy but he is clearly below the standard when he has to start. We need two safeties in the next draft really bad.
    The league should start a fund that takes in money from the extra commercial time created from these hits. It's kinda crazy, but these hits are what make the NFL. No one's looking some random tackle Larry Foote made. They aren't showing it over and over on Sportscenter. No one's talking about it.

Fining him gives the media a reason to talk about it. They then sensationalize it. And it's a virtuous cycle that uses a "negative" to promote the game.

Ryan Mundy will essentially be pitching in to the NFL's most effective marketing campaign.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The league should start a fund that takes in money from the extra commercial time created from these hits. It's kinda crazy, but these hits are what make the NFL. No one's looking some random tackle Larry Foote made. They aren't showing it over and over on Sportscenter. No one's talking about it.

Fining him gives the media a reason to talk about it. They then sensationalize it. And it's a virtuous cycle that uses a "negative" to promote the game.

Ryan Mundy will essentially be pitching in to the NFL's most effective marketing campaign.
    These hits WERE what made the NFL until former players saw the chance for a money grab to make up for the loss of money they have mismanaged. If you don't like the rules changes and the call blame the former players who are all lining up for another payday in the courts.
    The issue is in the forefront and talked about because of the pending legal Armageddon.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree Ovi. Defenders are essentially in a no-win situation. There are certain times they can hit and certain areas they can hit. By the time they think of all this stuff the receiver is past them with the ball. I would not want to be a defender in this day and age.

I also think safeties have to be a priority in the draft. Preferrably ones that can make plays on the ball (It brings tears to my eyes seeing Earl Thomas playing for the Seahawks. I really wanted the guy). We need pass rushers and ball hawks in this new NFL. You have those types of players and I don't care what type of scheme you play you'll have some success.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

dont know how i missed it before

but keenean lewis took a hell of a helmet to helmet hit from mundy on that play

worse the DHB IMO