Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaping up to be the Worst Steelers Defense...

Backup

User Info Menu

Why are we making it seem like we have never loss games with Both Troy and James Playing? I mean I love those guys and I do think they will help but we are not 2 people away from being a championship Defense.

The Gig is up on our defensive philosophy. Teams are scheming James & Lamar into pass coverage's. Elite Qbs are out guessing Troy. We are No longer Stout up the middle and We are to afraid to play Man coverage for longer than 1 game at a time.

We are no longer feared, We use to dictate things but its us who are being Dictated. I am sure the new Rules have a ton to do with this but whatever.. We need to adjust. We cant expect for our offense to score touchdowns every time they touch the ball. Scoring Over 30 points should be enough to get us a win against anybody.

OF all the games played This season there only 4 other teams that scored at least 31 points and lost. (Saints, Skins, Bucs and Lions)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chiken View Post
    Why are we making it seem like we have never loss games with Both Troy and James Playing? I mean I love those guys and I do think they will help but we are not 2 people away from being a championship Defense.

The Gig is up on our defensive philosophy. Teams are scheming James & Lamar into pass coverage's. Elite Qbs are out guessing Troy. We are No longer Stout up the middle and We are to afraid to play Man coverage for longer than 1 game at a time.

We are no longer feared, We use to dictate things but its us who are being Dictated. I am sure the new Rules have a ton to do with this but whatever.. We need to adjust. We cant expect for our offense to score touchdowns every time they touch the ball. Scoring Over 30 points should be enough to get us a win against anybody.

OF all the games played This season there only 4 other teams that scored at least 31 points and lost. (Saints, Skins, Bucs and Lions)
    Well stated.

Legend

User Info Menu

"2 people away from being a championship Defense" - this hits the nail on the head. This D is not good and while adding those 2 back certainly helps, may even win a game or two, this D will continue to be overmatched by the good QB's and overwhelmed by the great ones.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    "2 people away from being a championship Defense" - this hits the nail on the head. This D is not good and while adding those 2 back certainly helps, may even win a game or two, this D will continue to be overmatched by the good QB's and overwhelmed by the great ones.
    Well how come our qb doesnt overmatch and overwhelm good and great defenses? He habitually plays poorly against good Defenses. I have the stats

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chiken View Post

Truth. Hard to accept, but Truth.

Backup

User Info Menu

Elite qb are not out guessing Troy.

Administrator

User Info Menu

The reality is that we are not developing good defensive YOUNG talent to replace our older guys. I've said this numerous times.

The fact that we are hanging our hat on a 35 y/o James Harrison and a 31 y/o Troy is pathetic. Granted, you can't replace Troy easily.. He's a HOFer. I'm not talking about developing a HOFer. I'm talking about developing SOLID, FUTURE STARTERS. We are not doing that. Period.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

Really? How about Woodley? Timmons? (who can play both olb and mlb). McClendon? Ziggy?Heyward?

Most of you dont understand the scheme. You guys compare our players to others. You cant compare Aaron Smith to Michael Strahan. One is a 3-4 end and the other is a 4-3 one. Asked to do two different things. Our corners, safties etc wont have as many ints as others defenders due to our scheme. Lebeaus scheme is designed to keep the ball in front of you (Not to get turnovers).

So when you guys dont see our players making plays like other defenders its not because they arent good but its our scheme. Scheme is designed to have two stars (OLBS) and thats it. Troy Polamalu and Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake are exceptions to Dick's rule.
    Last edited by papillon; 09-24-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    The only thing consistent about this defense is their inability to get off the field and make big plays.
    That's the bottom line. The defense CAN NOT get off the field when it wants to, when it needs to. This is not a 2012 trend either. Anyone with two eyes has seen it for a while now (at least since the GB Super Bowl).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Harrison and Troy will help, but they are NOT the answer they once were. I seriously doubt Harrison will ever again be the impact player he was. The heart is still strong, but the injuries are nagging and won't go away.

There is no 'one thing' wrong with the defense. age is a factor. scheme is a factor. performance from the backups is a HUGE factor. Our captain jumping offsides and giving them a TD is a factor. We used to outscheme AND outphysical our opponents. now we do neither. I don't care about rankings or points allowed. the simple truth is the defense has been on the decline for 3 years. they have tried to transition it with new players (hood, timmons, etc) but those players have yet to step up. That's why keisel and hampton are still starting. zero pressure on carson today. first two games the raiders were dead last in 3rd down conversion. against the steelers defense they never punted. we were all making excuses in week one. hey, it's peyton manning. nope, it was us. thank god sanchez sucks or the season would already be over. we got two weeks to figure something out and get healthy. get to 2-2 and maybe we turn it around. go to 1-3 and yikes.

hello high draft pick. although all things considered - we could use one.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!