Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Shaping up to be the Worst Steelers Defense...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Couple of points:

1. The Offense fumbled 4 times and lost 2.

2. Ryan Clark got a turnover to start the game which lead to an easy 7.

3. Officiating turned a Oakland 4th and 2 into a 1st and goal inside the 5. That's another 4 points for Oakland.

4. ST gave up yards. Including a horrible punt. And holds on a return for a TD that cost us some points.

5. The O didn't score TDs in the 4th quarter.

We can blame the defense, but who didn't see this coming? The problem on D for years has been the inability to generate pressure on opposing QBs.

But yesterday's loss isn't all on our D. They have their issues. But we still would have won this game if the O and ST played better.

We have a long time to work this out. No one hands out Lombardi's yet.
    Flippy: Unlikely Voice of Reason

Backup

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger is great. Now disagree with that.

Legend

User Info Menu

This was all on the D. Why does the offense have to be perfect while the D can be azzz for 80% of the game? This was Oakland for goodness sakes.

They had the Raiders pinned deepon a 3rd and 8(0) and converted. They needed to stop the Raiders from getting into FG range and gave up a 25 yard pass underneath... Palmer didn't have one piece of dust on him ALL day.

The D lost this game....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This was all on the D. Why does the offense have to be perfect while the D can be azzz for 80% of the game? This was Oakland for goodness sakes.

They had the Raiders pinned deepon a 3rd and 8(0) and converted. They needed to stop the Raiders from getting into FG range and gave up a 25 yard pass underneath... Palmer didn't have one piece of dust on him ALL day.

The D lost this game....
    To answer you question, it is because many do not want to have to really acknowledge the source of the problem on the defense. They would rather emeber past glories and accomplishments. Unfortunately the NFL is playing game in the here and now under rules that are in place here and now.

Yes, the "D" lost this game. Couldn't stop anything. The problem is we don't have the excuse that "it was Peyton Manning." It was freaking Carson Palmer!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

..and the sad thing is Peyton isn't really playing great football. We do a great job of following the story lines ESPN and NFLN need for ratings.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    To answer you question, it is because many do not want to have to really acknowledge the source of the problem on the defense. They would rather emeber past glories and accomplishments. Unfortunately the NFL is playing game in the here and now under rules that are in place here and now.

Yes, the "D" lost this game. Couldn't stop anything. The problem is we don't have the excuse that "it was Peyton Manning." It was freaking Carson Palmer!
    Not to mention, we made Peyton Manning look like Peyton Manning

Legend

User Info Menu

The O put up 31 points and twice had a lead for 10 points in the second half. Head scratching that people would place blame on them. Were they perfect - of course not. But 31 points on an 0-2 team that had not scored more than 14 in a game should be enough - EVERY time if the D plays at all. At all!! The D was a full blown embarrassment yesterday.

In the 4th Q the Raiders had 5 3rd downs and converted 4 of them and scored on all.
    3rd and 9 - 17 yards
    3rd and 8 - 10 yards
    3rd and 3 - 4 yards
    3rd and 9 - 5 yards (the one stop - still got 3)
    3rd and 10 - 15 yards

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    The O put up 31 points and twice had a lead for 10 points in the second half. Head scratching that people would place blame on them. Were they perfect - of course not. But 31 points on an 0-2 team that had not scored more than 14 in a game should be enough - EVERY time if the D plays at all. At all!! The D was a full blown embarrassment yesterday.

In the 4th Q the Raiders had 5 3rd downs and converted 4 of them and scored on all.
    3rd and 9 - 17 yards
    3rd and 8 - 10 yards
    3rd and 3 - 4 yards
    3rd and 10 - 15 yards
    I hate to bring Crash's name up but he was spot on about our D. Every time we put up 7 or get a nice cushion they give it right back. It's time for our fans to accept reality. Our D is the reason we aren't winning and it doesn't matter how much clock we eat up... they aren't tired physically... it's mental. Too much thinking, too many cute blitzes and packages and not enough balling. Quit trying to confuse people, just beat your man and make a freaking play. Too much chess when these guys have spent their whole lives playing checkers. It was great when it worked but now it's sad to watch.

Not sure if anyone is a PITT fan but the first 2 games the D looked like a bad HS team... then they came out and physically manhandled VTech. I'm not sure what changed but my theory is the DC threw out the playbook and said PLAY FOOTBALL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I hate to bring Crash's name up but he was spot on about our D. Every time we put up 7 or get a nice cushion they give it right back. It's time for our fans to accept reality. Our D is the reason we aren't winning and it doesn't matter how much clock we eat up... they aren't tired physically... it's mental. Too much thinking, too many cute blitzes and packages and not enough balling. Quit trying to confuse people, just beat your man and make a freaking play. Too much chess when these guys have spent their whole lives playing checkers. It was great when it worked but now it's sad to watch.

Not sure if anyone is a PITT fan but the first 2 games the D looked like a bad HS team... then they came out and physically manhandled VTech. I'm not sure what changed but my theory is the DC threw out the playbook and said PLAY FOOTBALL.
    Hello...who has been sending up the warning flares about the defense for two years now????
    Last edited by Oviedo; 09-24-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

3rd and 9 - 17 yards
    3rd and 8 - 10 yards
    3rd and 3 - 4 yards
    3rd and 10 - 15 yards
    Anyone got the stats to compare a Bill Cowher 10+ point lead to a Mike Tomlin 10+ point lead?