Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaping up to be the Worst Steelers Defense...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    The defense has CARRIED this franchise since the 70's and when they have an occassional lapse the nation goes berserk. The defense shows up WAY MORE frequently than the offense. How many points did the Offense score in the 4th? They produced for 3 quarters, I guess thats enough for the win huh?

The DEFENSE is the most consistent part of our team
    The only thing consistent about this defense is their inability to get off the field and make big plays.

This is 2 out of 3 games they have turned in a performance that is nothing short of embarrassing. I know full well that it is only 3 games into the season and that is why I said it's "shaping up" to be one of the worst defenses we've ever fielded. The evidence is out there and you can't hide from it. It's a carry-over from last year's performance but mostly nased on what they have put on the field in 2012.

The fact that we always put out strong defenses is precisely why this years' version is so disappointing. It's a long season and they can definitely turn it around if Troy and Harrison can come back and stay healthy. But LeBeau has got to find a way to bring more pressure.

Legend

User Info Menu

This "its only three games" nonsense has to stop. The defense today was a total DISRACE. Can't get a stop when needed and gave up the last 13 points of the game. Mundy should be cut, he flat out sucks. Ziggy Hood is non existent - 4th year for a 1st round draft choice and he wouldn't be missed a lick if he never suited up again. Th D line gets pushed around like they are kids. There is NO pressure at all. Manning shredded them, Palmer threw for 3 TDS, and Sanchez was more a factor in stopping the Jets than anything the D did to stop him. Other than the browns, there may not be an easy game the rest of the year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal View Post
    Yes, but the game has evolved in the past few years. The way you play defense and how the rules have changed has made it more favorable for offenses. Our defense has NOT adjusted to those changes. They can't run the same schemes they did, even 5 years ago and expect the same results. The game has changed and so should the way they play defense.
    Exactly what I have been saying for the past two years:
    Our defense has NOT adjusted to those changes. They can't run the same schemes they did, even 5 years ago and expect the same results.
    All you hear in response is what the "rankings are." LeBeau is too in love with his baby to call it ugly. Time to move on.

Go ahead, you can all say it and it won't hurt, "Ovi has been right"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Other than the browns, there may not be an easy game the rest of the year.
    The Browns aren't even easy games with this D. Up to today, the Raiders had looked worse then the Browns.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Exactly what I have been saying for the past two years:

All you hear in response is what the "rankings are." LeBeau is too in love with his baby to call it ugly. Time to move on.

Go ahead, you can all say it and it won't hurt, "Ovi has been right"
    So you think the players have nothing to do with it? Or replacing Troy with Mundy and Harrison with Carter -- 2 of our biggest impact players with 2 zeros - has nothing to do with it?

And you absolve the fumbles and poor special teams play?

Backup

User Info Menu

They are inconsistent. When Ben is hurt an plays badly they use EVERY excuse in the book for his poor play. If the line is banged up or playcalling. However, when the defense is missing TWO All Pros, then that doesnt matter. Ben playing on a bad leg matters. But a hurt Polamalu or Harrison doesnt.

Total hypocrisy

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't absolve the fumbles or penalties, they are to blame as well. But, there's no denying that the Raiders just hung 34 points on this defense. To date, the team as a whole has been very sloppy and ill-prepared overall, IMHO, with sprinkles of good plays here and there. If Troy and Deebo can get healthy and provide the D with some spark, and the O cleans up the slop, this team could be very scary. Right now, I'm holding my breath and hoping it's just injury and the team "gelling" that's the issue, but at the same time I'd say this season could go either way.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    So you think the players have nothing to do with it? Or replacing Troy with Mundy and Harrison with Carter -- 2 of our biggest impact players with 2 zeros - has nothing to do with it?

And you absolve the fumbles and poor special teams play?
    of course he does.

Legend

User Info Menu

Linebackers are being swallowed up on nearly every play. They are being blocked by TEs, WRs, RBs. Foote is slooow. Worilds was chasing most of the time, same with Timmons. Ziggy is getting pushed all over the field.
    What is most worrisome is the seeming lack of toughness by the defense. I haven't seen it this bad in a while. I watched the Houston defense today and the differences were stark compared to the Steelers.
    Also, it seemed the Steelers were caught in their 4-2-5 defense at the worse possible times. Mundy has a big heart, but the guy just is not very talented and is easily tricked into bad coverages and angles.

Backup

User Info Menu

So we should disregard the 40 years that the defense has carried the team?

Oh by the way what is a offensive nickname?

STEEL CURTAIN for a reason.