Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaping up to be the Worst Steelers Defense...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Shaping up to be the Worst Steelers Defense...

...of my lifetime.

I cannot recall the last time we had a defense which inspired such a lack of faith and confidence. I knew we would lose that game and Tomlin knew it too. Why else would we go for it deep in our own territory with 4 minutes left in the game?

I blame LeBeau for being so passive and our players for not having the talent, desire, and fortitude to get the job done. It's actually tough to dole-out specific blame when all parties looked so atrocious.

Heath had a solid game today, but Ben Roethlisberer is a one-man show at this point. The rest of the team doesn't deserve to draw a pay check.

Legend

User Info Menu

Only 3 games and we had no Troy or Harrison.
    I think you are overreacting a little.
    What I havnt seen is Lebeau bring any pressure from DBs.
    Getting tired of watching the same cross blitzes by our LBers.
    Im sure in 2 weeks things will get better...
    It has to, we cant get any worse

Legend

User Info Menu

The defense sucks. No pressure, gaping running lanes, and the usual soft secondary spells disaster. Hopefully getting our two pro-bowlers back after the by-week will provide some leadership and spark some better play, but right now, they are just plain stinking up the joint. Timmons and Foote suck arse in pass coverage in the middle.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

it's bad.

I'm really disappointed in the play of the DL and Secondary. Going into the season, I thought both these groups were pretty solid.

boy, was I wrong.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Only 3 games and we had no Troy or Harrison.
    I think you are overreacting a little.
    What I havnt seen is Lebeau bring any pressure from DBs.
    Getting tired of watching the same cross blitzes by our LBers.
    Im sure in 2 weeks things will get better...
    It has to, we cant get any worse

The "father of the zone blitz" has become the "father of predictability"

Like I said after last season. We needed two new coordinators. We came up one short.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

The defense has CARRIED this franchise since the 70's and when they have an occassional lapse the nation goes berserk. The defense shows up WAY MORE frequently than the offense. How many points did the Offense score in the 4th? They produced for 3 quarters, I guess thats enough for the win huh?

The DEFENSE is the most consistent part of our team

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    The defense has CARRIED this franchise since the 70's and when they have an occassional lapse the nation goes berserk. The defense shows up WAY MORE frequently than the offense. How many points did the Offense score in the 4th? They produced for 3 quarters, I guess thats enough for the win huh?

Dude, the lousy Raiders just hung 34 points on this defense, and they sucked in the season opener. There's problems with the D, undeniably so. The offense scored 31 points today, Ben had a career day (384 yrds, 4 TDs) and it wasn't enough to win.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If you had told me before the game that we would hang 31 on them I'd have put it in the win column automatically. A little stunned at how terrible the D was today. I thought after keeping the Jets in check last week that they had overcome their issues but that was mistaken.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yes, but the game has evolved in the past few years. The way you play defense and how the rules have changed has made it more favorable for offenses. Our defense has NOT adjusted to those changes. They can't run the same schemes they did, even 5 years ago and expect the same results. The game has changed and so should the way they play defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is absolutely, 100% true.

When averaged over the past 30 years, maybe.

The reality is that for the past few years, when we've needed stops we haven't been able to get them. I'd be willing to bet that we are in the bottom five in the league over the past 5 years for stopping 3rd and longs, especially late in the game when it counts.

Can anyone say they don't get a REAL bad feeling in the pit of their stomach when the other team has a 3rd and 23 with time running out in the 4th quarter and is down by less than 1 score? No matter WHERE on the field they are?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!