Thread: Steelers offense still looks like Arians is calling the plays

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers offense still looks like Arians is calling the plays

Steelers offense still goes with Ben

September 23, 2012
    By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Is it just me or does the Steelers offense under Todd Haley look very much like it did when Bruce Arians was calling the plays?

Ben Roethlisberger takes the snap and drops back to pass ... Roethlisberger escapes pressure by stepping up in the pocket or rolling to his right or to his left ... Roethlisberger looks downfield ... he looks, he looks ... just when it seems as if there's no way he can make a play, Roethlisberger completes a pass for a first down.

It's obvious, isn't it?

Haley's offense, just like Arians' before it, will go as far as Roethlisberger carries it.

"I like to think I'm entering the prime of my career," Roethlisberger said last week at the South Side practice facility. "I'm really excited. I hope my best football is still to come and that leads to more Super Bowls."

It seems silly now, doesn't it, that we wasted so much energy during the offseason worrying about how Roethlisberger would take to Haley and the new offense.

Roethlisberger is fiercely loyal to Arians. The two have homes in a golfing community on Lake Oconee in Greensboro, Ga. This summer, Arians called Roethlisberger "family. ... He's my other son. ... If the reason I'm not still coaching in Pittsburgh is because I was too close to Ben Roethlisberger, I'm cool with that."

Haley is known as more of a tough love coach. He has yelled at any number of quarterbacks on the sideline during games, not because he's a bully but because he's an intense competitor and that's his way of trying to make a player better.

It only was natural to wonder how that style would play with Roethlisberger, of whom Arians said in July, "Yelling at him -- especially on game day -- is the worst thing you can do."

"People really did make a big deal about it," Roethlisberger said, fairly bristling. "I heard Cris Carter [of ESPN] ask, 'Why doesn't Ben embrace the change and want to get better?' That's ridiculous. I'm all about getting better. I never said the change was going to be bad or good. I just said it was a change. It was what it was."

It turns out Haley and Roethlisberger have played nice.

For the most part, anyway.

"We had one little incident," Roethlisberger said.

It happened during the Denver game Sept. 9 when the Steelers were beaten, 31-19.

"I walked away. I'll leave it at that. I walked away," Roethlisberger said.

There was no carryover effect.

Haley and Roethlisberger made sweet music together last Sunday when the Steelers beat the New York Jets, 27-10, at Heinz Field. Roethlisberger completed 24 of 31 passes to 10 receivers for 275 yards and two touchdowns. It's a good thing he made so many plays because the running game was inept for the second consecutive week.

"It felt good," Roethlisberger said. "Not everything was clean, but it's early. I had to scramble around some and you'd like to avoid that. But the good thing about it is, when it happened, the guys were on the same page. They never quit on plays. They know I'll never quit on plays."

That was especially true on third downs. Roethlisberger leads all NFL quarterbacks after the first two games with a 146.8 passer rating on third down. There's not another quarterback I'd rather have throw an important pass.

"It doesn't matter who's calling the plays for him," Arians said. "He's a winner. He's an unbelievable competitor."

Roethlisberger agreed there isn't much difference between Haley's offense and Arians'. "There are times, maybe, when we don't have as many receivers on the field, but that's about it. We're using a lot of tight end packages and a lot of max protection. We've got a lot of great wide receivers. I think they're some of the best athletes we have on the team. We've got to be aware of getting those guys out there."

Roethlisberger would love to run the no-huddle offense more because he calls the plays and there always are three wide receivers on the field. If it were up to him, the Steelers would use it all day today against the Oakland Raiders in Oakland. Of course, Roethlisberger often fought that battle -- and lost -- with Arians. The Steelers used the no-huddle effectively for much of the Denver game but hardly used it against the Jets.

No matter who calls the plays -- Haley or Roethlisberger -- the Steelers offense will be even better if it can run the ball effectively. It averaged 2.9 yards per carry against Denver and 2.4 against the Jets. That's pretty weak.

Roethlisberger believes the run game will come around. He said he likes the offense's "potential."

"It's a great group to be with," he said. "Everybody brings something different to the table. Every year, new guys come in and they're fun. [Chris] Rainey makes me laugh every day. I love coming to work."

It's always fun the week after a decisive win. "The only stats that matter to me are wins and losses," Roethlisberger has said often.

Sure, he would love to throw the deep ball more. What great quarterback doesn't? He would love to use the no-huddle and call the plays. But the wins are what keep him going. His regular-season record as a starter is 81-34 for a .704 winning percentage, second only to New England's Tom Brady (125-38, .767) among active NFL quarterbacks.

"Somebody said to me the other day that it looks like I'm doing more dinking and dunking and sliding in the pocket," Roethlisberger said. "I don't feel like I'm doing anything differently. If guys are open on the check downs, I get it to them. I've always done that. I'm playing the way I always play."

The man gets no argument here.

Roethlisberger is making plays. Just like always. The Steelers will win a lot of games if he stays healthy and keeps making 'em. Just like always.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/steelers-offense-still-goes-with-ben-654611/#ixzz27JCs4A3W[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

It's different, but still relies on Ben being heroic on 3rd down. It'd be great if we could pick up some extra yards on the early downs.

I know we lost a game. And Ben threw an INT in a situation where he could have taken us down the field to put us in position to win our first game. But overall, Ben looks to me like he's playing at an MVP level with the success he's having on 3rd downs.

It was like a couple years back where Troy P had enough plays in the first quarter to make it look like he was on the path to being DMVP until he got hurt.

Ben's play so far looks like a season of highlight reel plays most QBs don't amass in a career.

Legend

User Info Menu

One common denominator is non cohesive offensive line.
    The O-line play was less than average during Bruces' reign and at the start of Haleys'
    Lets hope Haley recognizes sooner than later how to run a successful screen,a draw and getting Ben out of the pocket & on the move.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ed: Ben Clarifies His Remarks in Oakland

TUESDAY, 25 SEPTEMBER 2012 13:56 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Ben Roethlisberger today clarified what he meant in Oakland when he said after the game that he called some plays from the “old” playbook:

“I probably didn’t speak clearly enough. It wasn’t necessarily that I called plays as much as I used hand signals. I know there are some people who are saying I’m resistant to Todd. We went to Todd. It’s in the playbook now. It was simply a signal I used with receivers on two different occasions. One was on the fourth and one early. We got the ball to Mike. The other was a third down to Emmanuel. We converted on both plays so they worked out. The question we were talking about was how everyone was on the same page. For me, using signals that we’ve had for a long time that aren’t necessarily in the offense now, because it worked, it’s good that we were on the same page, that’s all.”

[URL]http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118231-ed-ben-clarifies-his-remarks-in-oakland[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha