Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it our players or coaches?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Is it our players or coaches?

Do you ever find yourself watching a game, and watching a team's offensive execution and wonder why the Steelers can't run successful rushing and screen plays like other teams can? I was watching the Giants' game, and they ran this beautiful screen play, where their entire O line ended up blocking for the running back getting the ball. It was a thing of beauty. Also, NYG run some sweet rushing plays, where the blocks are so spot on, giving the running back clean holes. Same thing for SF - Gore and Hunter have some sweet holes to run through on a consistent basis. The Bills have some really well done rushing plays. They make their blocks. As a matter of fact, the Steelers are a pathetic 30th in rushing yards in the NFL. 30th? Are you serious. What in the Sam Hill is going on? It's not from lack of trying to rush the ball.

So which is more to blame? Is Coughlin and his staff just that much better coaches than we have? Are our OLmen just incapable of moving and blocking than are the vast majority of the rest of the league's OLmen? This is a problem. If we can't get this fixed, we aren't going any where after the regular season. And the "eye test" and the actual stats tell the same story: Pgh can't rush the ball with any real effectiveness. And I don't care how many tight ends they put on the field; our rushing game is pathetic. 30th in the NFL, and make no mistake: unlike some other teams, we absolutely __CARE__ and FOCUS on trying to get the rush going. But it doesn't seem to matter. We just suck at rushing the ball and it's frustrating to watch when they try.

Backup

User Info Menu

It was the same way in the Wiz era when our line was exceptional. Our excecution is raggedy because of the play of our unconventional Qb.

Ben's style is sloppy and the exectution mirrors his style. The offense looks TOTALY different when Leftwich, Batch or Dixon are in there.

No, I am not saying that Batch and Leftwich are better than Ben. They are just smarter. Makes a difference

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    The offense looks TOTALY different when Leftwich, Batch or Dixon are in there.
    you're absolutely right, the offense looks way worse when Leftwich, Batch and Dixon are/were in there.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It was the same way in the Wiz era when our line was exceptional. Our excecution is raggedy because of the play of our unconventional Qb.

Ben's style is sloppy and the exectution mirrors his style. The offense looks TOTALY different when Leftwich, Batch or Dixon are in there.

No, I am not saying that Batch and Leftwich are better than Ben. They are just smarter. Makes a difference
    I can see your point on passing plays, but how could Ben impact the rush blocking and screen play blocking by "being sloppy?" I am not sure I understand. For a team that highly values rushing the ball, and spent much of the offseason trying to rectify and improve it, we are 30th in the F-ing league at rushing the ball. And the simple eye test tells you that this team just sucks at rushing the ball and using screens. What did we bring Haley here for? Why did we use the 1st two drafts, and on later, on getting better O-linemen in here? And to further understand how confusing our lack of rushing is, we even have big downfield threats in Wallace and Brown and Sanders and we _STILL_ can't find ways to find any success with our rush.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory= RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2012&seasonT ype=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1[/url]

The Bills and Fins are destroying our rushing numbers and each have little threats in their WR to make the defense have to back off their safeties (Bills have Stevie Johnson but who else?). Teams like Cleveland, the Colts, AZ and GB are out-rushing us. Dear God. There is just something very wrong with that. I will give Cowher that much: At least he had this team with a very strong running game almost every single season. Why can't this team run the ball since Tomlin has been here? We shipped out Arians, but little has changed.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    you're absolutely right, the offense looks way worse when Leftwich, Batch and Dixon are/were in there.
    Is that why Leftwich outplayed Ben in 08? Is that Why Ben could do nothing vs the Skins and Leftwich came in and saved the day. It was a sack fest under Ben. He leaves at half and we look like a totally new team. What happened? What changed? ONE MAN. The Qb
    [url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80c35720/WK-9-Byron-Leftwich-highlights[/url]

Same thing happened vs Browns (Ben carted off after a sack fest and a redzone pick) enter Leftwich and we look like a new team. Again, Leftwich is NOT BETTER THAN BEN. Just smarter.

Big Bens 1st super bowl: 9-21, 123 yds, 2 ints & .22.1 qb rating
    Big Bens 2nd super bowl: 21-30, 256 yds, 1 td, 1 int & 93.2 qb rating
    Bib Bens 3rd super bowl 20-40 263 yds 2 td 2 ints 77.4 qb rating
    3 TDS and 5 INTS AND A 64.2 QB RATING.

This is the problem, he's a very good quarterback. Unfortunately, lazy morons like to look at a team achievement (championships) as a measure of a player's greatness. The word "overrated" doesn't mean the guy sucks, it means he gets way more credit than he deserves. See how we got to the SB vs the Packers. Again, Ben had a 30 qb rating and got to go to the Super Bowl based on his TEAMMATES holding down the fort.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I can see your point on passing plays, but how could Ben impact the rush blocking and screen play blocking by "being sloppy?" I am not sure I understand. For a team that highly values rushing the ball, and spent much of the offseason trying to rectify and improve it, we are 30th in the F-ing league at rushing the ball. And the simple eye test tells you that this team just sucks at rushing the ball and using screens. What did we bring Haley here for? Why did we use the 1st two drafts, and on later, on getting better O-linemen in here? And to further understand how confusing our lack of rushing is, we even have big downfield threats in Wallace and Brown and Sanders and we _STILL_ can't find ways to find any success with our rush.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory= RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2012&seasonT ype=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1[/url]

The Bills and Fins are destroying our rushing numbers and each have little threats in their WR to make the defense have to back off their safeties (Bills have Stevie Johnson but who else?). Teams like Cleveland, the Colts, AZ and GB are out-rushing us. Dear God. There is just something very wrong with that. I will give Cowher that much: At least he had this team with a very strong running game almost every single season. Why can't this team run the ball since Tomlin has been here? We shipped out Arians, but little has changed.
    Because a screen is all about execution. If you let the ball go too early then the lineman arent in place to set blocks. Too late and the same thing. The quarterback has to lull the Defense to sleep and make them think that its a pass. If the execution by the quarterback is compromised then the play will too. We havent been a good screen team since before Ben came. Why is that? In NINE years? Screens work when Batch, Leftwich and Dixon are in. Ben is not a fundamentally sound quarterback. All of his mechanics are off. Ben is a gamer due to his physical gifts. Size, Strength, Arm, ability to extend plays. But you would be hard pressed to find ANY expert or coach describe him as cerebral.

Lastly, not ONE coach will teach his young quarterbacks to play like Ben Roethlisberger. He does most things the wrong way. He is successful on the Steelers. On a lesser team and he is a trainwreck

Backup

User Info Menu

Nothing has changed? Uh..Maybe our STARTING RB is injured and those other teams you compared to us have their starter.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Nothing has changed? Uh..Maybe our STARTING RB is injured and those other teams you compared to us have their starter.
    Do you not __watch__ our games? There are zero holes for any backs to run through. If there are no holes and no execution on things like screens, no RB is really going to do that well. And, you are flat out wrong: The Buffalo Bills do NOT have their starting RB playing. Their starter is Fred Jackson and he has been hurt all year. It is the back up, Spiller, who is dropping mad rushing yards each week, not Jackson.

Legend

User Info Menu

Games generally boil down to execution.

Backup

User Info Menu

Do you not __watch__ our games? There are zero holes for any backs to run through. If there are no holes and no execution on things like screens, no RB is really going to do that well. And, you are flat out wrong: The Buffalo Bills do NOT have their starting RB playing. Their starter is Fred Jackson and he has been hurt all year. It is the back up, Spiller, who is dropping mad rushing yards each week, not Jackson.
    Fred Jackson is basically a backup himself. Certainly not Rashard Mendenhall. Do you see that there is no falloff in production now that Jackson is out? As you pointed out, they are doing better without Jackson. How are the Steelers doing without Mendenhall? Running game sucks but you proved that too. Really dont see your point