Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It is still early, but the Raiders look like a joke

Legend

User Info Menu

It is still early, but the Raiders look like a joke

It is still early, but the Raiders look like a joke

By Monte Poole - Oakland Tribune
    Published: Monday, Sep. 17, 2012

No moral victories or silver linings, nothing of redeeming value.

The Raiders so thoroughly embarrassed themselves Sunday that the team photo should be 45 clown suits, all of them empty.

The Oakland roster that showed up in Miami was not a team ready to play but a joke willing to be played.

And the Dolphins, considered by some the worst team in the NFL, laughed and laughed until the merciful intervention of the clock spared the Raiders further indignity.

After Oakland took a 35-13 spanking from a team of such little promise, the Raiders' season is on high alert. A year of radical transition is threatening to deliver four months of sheer futility.

The Dolphins, after all, looked like one of the likeliest wins on the schedule, with a new coaching staff, a rookie quarterback, a hollow secondary and one of the least-imposing receiving corps in the NFL.

There may not be a more pessimistic fan base.

But the Raiders were an elixir, energizing fans at Sun Life Stadium and making the Dolphins look like a well-coached, highly skilled contender.

Most disappointing, the Oakland defense that has been dreadful for years but was respectable in the season opener last Monday vanished in the second half, when the Raiders were outscored 28-3.

Miami running back Reggie Bush (26 carries, 172 yards, two touchdowns) rambled as he did in his USC heyday. Quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who threw three interceptions in his pro debut last week, performed like a polished pro. Wide receiver Brian Hartline (nine catches, 111 yards) could not be covered.

"The way we started in the first half, I didn't foresee 35 at the end of the game," Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly conceded to reporters in Miami.

The Raiders' offense that scored one touchdown against San Diego did no better against Miami. The running game sputtered again. Darren McFadden (11 carries, 22 yards) already misses the schemes of former coach Hue Jackson.

First-year general manager Reggie McKenzie knew he was inheriting a mess, but he saw how deeply his personnel department needs to dig. It will scan the waiver wire again this week and probably find someone at least the equal of what the Raiders have.

Rookie coach Dennis Allen, in his first two attempts to distinguish himself, has brought nothing to indicate his team is ready to be a force. And after looking at Jim Harbaugh's work with the 49ers last year, we know what's possible in Year 1 of a new regime.

Allen, the NFL's youngest head coach, wants to vindicate his GM for making the risky move of hiring him as Jackson's replacement. Optimists are scratching their heads, and skeptics are screaming at the skies.

They all have memories. They realize this is looking like 2007 – the last year the Raiders hired a fresh-faced young coach and opened with back-to-back losses.

The '07 team won its next two games, then lost six in a row and finished 4-12. The coach, Lane Kiffin, was fired four games into 2008.

Well, the Raiders look like a team that might need three or four seasons before rising to mediocrity.

There will be growth. There will be change. The "New Era of Excellence," as described by the team's PR department, is very much in its embryonic stages. There will, eventually, be measurable progress.

But right now, after this forgettable effort, everything points toward regression.

[URL="http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/17/4826041/it-is-still-early-but-the-raiders.html#storylink=cpy"]http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/17/482...#storylink=cpy[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

If there is one thing I know about this league, it's that you never look past an opponent.

Not to mention the fact that it's only week 3. Very few teams actually have it together.

For all we know, the Raiders could be in a rollercoaster pattern and may go back to playing better football.

These two teams have a history of "dislike". I expect the Raiders to show up.
    And like every week, we will be there as well.

Ready and waitin'.

Steelers-31
    Raiders-13

Legend

User Info Menu

It's call a "trap game." A team that seemingly has nothing going right for them beats a better team. I wouldn't assume nothing with this game.

If it goes the way it should then it should be:

Steeler--34
    Raiders--13

However, I just get the nervous feeling it will be closer.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You are so correct, sir. I look at the true parody in this league and knowing anybody can beat anybody on any given Sunday. Coupled in knowing my team has lost to some sad teams they should have beaten with ease. Losing that playoff game in Denver, just to name one.

Legend

User Info Menu

The moment that they gave up two premium picks for a third rate QB they set their franchise further back by at least 3-5 years.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the Raiders are a pretty dreadful team, but I'm still worried about this game. The travel to the West Coast always worries me, and the Raiders always seem to be tough for the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

I hate all this media attention that the Raiders are awful right before we go out West to play them. I'd rather hear them talked about like Mikey T talks about them.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I hate this stuff. I remember the year the Raiders were 2-14 yet one of their wins was against us. As far as I'm concerned, they are the second coming of the 2009 Patriots and we better go out there ready to play like our season depends on it or we'll take another embarrassing butt whoopin'.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Let's see if Todd Haley gameplans for each opponent. If he does, we should come out shotgun - no huddle spreading them out the entire game and hang 40 on them easy. Pretty sure their secondary is a complete joke.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Let's see if Todd Haley gameplans for each opponent. If he does, we should come out shotgun - no huddle spreading them out the entire game and hang 40 on them easy. Pretty sure their secondary is a complete joke.
    Their secondary is awful and so is their run defense.