Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Caaaaaaaaaam!!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    No, I don't think it has.

That game was in 2009. There have only been 2 seasons between then and now.

2010: 12-4 in the regular season, made it to the Super Bowl.
    2011: 12-4 again? Oh, ok. Beat Tom Brady 25-17? Yeah, I'll take that as filling your requirements of proving he can outscore another QB here and there.
    As you can see, the days of our "shut down" defense have ended. We're not going to be winning too many 13-7 games like we did in 2010-11. In 2013 our elite QB is going to have win some games without the luxury of having a great defense. Defenses like the ones he's benefited from for most of his career. The defenses that have carried him to two super bowls! Let's see how many games Ben wins when he has to play "shoot out" ball. As you have kindly noted so far, he's won one in two years.... That's not very "elite."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Has Cam Newton lost Charlotte?

By Chris Chase, USA TODAY
    Sep 26, 2012

The second-year Carolina Panthers quarterback was the subject of a scathing editorial cartoon in Wednesday's edition of The Charlotte Observer. He's depicted performing his patented Superman touchdown celebration only to reveal a Hello Kitty logo on his chest.

Cam Newton ripped in 'Charlotte Observer' cartoon

The cartoon appears six days after the Panthers' 36-7 loss to the New York Giants. Newton was roundly criticized for emphatically celebrating a touchdown with his team down 23-0 in the third quarter against the defending Super Bowl champions. Later in the game, veteran wide receiver Steve Smith reportedly had "unchoice words" for Newton after the quarterback sulked on the bench following his third interception.

Newton's behavior in the postgame press conference was similarly sulky.

On Sunday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Newton was seeing a "mind coach" to help him deal with the pressure of being an NFL quarterback. Newton denied the report.

The 2011 No. 1 overall draft pick, Newton shattered a number of NFL rookie quarterback records last season, including those for most passing and rushing yards. But his record as a starter is a middling 7-12 and this, evidently, is a cause for the Observer to jump ship on the Panthers quarterback three games into his second season.

Chill out, Charlotte. Cam is under contract for two more seasons after this one. There will be plenty of time to make fun of him if he continues to lose (which I don't think he will).

[URL]http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/09/26/cam-newton-charlotte-observer-cartoon/70001182/1#.UGNN782aLO8[/URL]
    wow, that didnt take long

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    That goes both ways. Remember last year in half a season there were fans patting themselves and Newton all over. Some even went as far as saying they would prefer him over Ben.

happens a lot.

over the years, i remember some idiots on these internet boards saying the same about vince young too

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Or less than 3 years. I guess it depends what type of calendar you typically use.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    As you can see, the days of our "shut down" defense have ended. We're not going to be winning too many 13-7 games like we did in 2010-11. In 2013 our elite QB is going to have win some games without the luxury of having a great defense. Defenses like the ones he's benefited from for most of his career. The defenses that have carried him to two super bowls! Let's see how many games Ben wins when he has to play "shoot out" ball. As you have kindly noted so far, he's won one in two years.... That's not very "elite."
    Let me try to piece this one together...

1) The Steelers have been incredibly successful since 2004. 2 Super Bowls won, made it to another, went 15-1 one year, 12-4 several others, made the playoffs 6 of 8 years. That's a pretty darn good run, I think we can all agree on that.

2) Ben Roethlisberger has been the quarterback since 2004.

3) Like it or not, Ben is still Ben, and has been pretty much the same player his entire career.

4) The defense is not as good as it used to be.

5) It's Ben fault if we don't win.

ps - have you ever had one of those moments when you find out everyone has been lying to you your entire life about something? It hurts, man! This whole time, I though football was a team game.

truman1.jpg
    Last edited by D Rock; 09-27-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

it's so quiet in here today. Peaceful even.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    Ah the voice of reason. Cam Newton experienced the same thing as Ben didn last week. Cam played well for most of the game but when it came down to the 4th qtr he couldnt get it done. Meanwhile, the other qb did. Matt Ryan outplayed Cam in the 4th and won.

Legend

User Info Menu

huh, cam was the reason why carolina was ahead

he (carolina) scored 7 points in the 4th quarter compared to the 6 points ryan led his falcons to

ryans defense forced a stop on 3rd and 2 that gave them the ball back with like a minute left.
    cam's defense (like ben's last week) let the team down by allowing a 60 yard pass in that final drive while playing prevent defense. how a team allows that in that situation is beyond me

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

5) It's Ben fault if we don't win.
    Well, he is right in a sense. Guys like Tom Brady*, Peyton Manning, and Aaron Rodgers have done a lot with less than what the current Steeler defense appears. If you want to put Ben in the elite category (as I have), he can't give us anything less than a playoff type team... at least a team with a winning record.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    huh, cam was the reason why carolina was ahead

he (carolina) scored 7 points in the 4th quarter compared to the 6 points ryan led his falcons to

ryans defense forced a stop on 3rd and 2 that gave them the ball back with like a minute left.
    cam's defense (like ben's last week) let the team down by allowing a 60 yard pass in that final drive while playing prevent defense. how a team allows that in that situation is beyond me
    I figured there would be some to disagree lol (they cant help it lol). Cam doesnt fumble its a 1st and the game is over. He fumbled and made the team have to punt. Sorry, he lost the game. Blame the D, The line, Arians, Cams foot, his shoulder. Fact still remains if Cam holds onto the ball, its a 1st down and they win. He fumbled and gave the ball back to Ryan and lost.