Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Should Goodell Look at Connection Between Williams and Fisher?

  1. #1
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,372

    Should Goodell Look at Connection Between Williams and Fisher?

    So Goodell hates the Steelers and the Saints.

    If Goodell wanted to be consistent and protect all player safety, he'd go after the Ravens for their bounties on Ward and Mendy which everyone knows about.

    I heard the comments by RGIII about St Louis's Defense. He commented about how St Louis is dirty. He even went as far as to say they're dirtier than the Saints. The Saints are supposed to be the evil team according to Goodell. So this is interesting. Williams and Vilma took the fall for the Saints. They were the scape goats.

    With Vilma, you've got to wonder, was he just doing what he was told or taught to do by Williams? Probably. And was Williams just doing what he was told/taught to do? Possibly by Jeff Fisher?

    I think there's a connection here that Goodell should explore. Was there a bounty on RGIII? Was Jeff Fisher - the guy who used to be Greg Williams' boss in the past - doing what he's always done. Instructing his team to try and hurt the other team's best player?

    Maybe it all ties back to the day Bill Cowher broke Jeff Fisher's leg on a punt return? Maybe it clicked for Fisher. The importance of taking guys out.

    I think it's time for Goodell to look into the history of injuries caused by Jeff Fisher teams. I bet there's something there. If Sean Payton's responsible for Greg Williams, Jeff Fisher probably should be too.

    It's just interesting to me that RGIII makes the accusation of the Rams being dirtier than the Saints. If Goodell takes player safety seriously, it should be his duty to look into it.

    Just like he should look into the Ravens. And probably every other team in the league.

    But like the Pats' cheating, he probably just wants to have a scapegoat and burn the rest of the tapes.

    F Goodell!

  2. #2
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,256
    I think Griffin compared the Rams to the Saints because he has only played in 2 NFL games so far in his career...against the Rams and Saints.

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,372
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I think Griffin compared the Rams to the Saints because he has only played in 2 NFL games so far in his career...against the Rams and Saints.
    Yeah. But I still thought it was interesting that the team of bounties played clean while the team lead by a coach that likely helped shape the career/approach of Coach Bounty was deemed dirty.

    So Williams learned it from Fisher who likely learned it from his first influential coach - Buddy Ryan.

    A little more research leads us to 11/22/89 which was referred to as Bounty Bowl. Jimmy Johnson called out Ryan for having a bounty on Troy Aikman.

    So we can see the bounties trace back the Buddy Ryan coaching tree. And we can guess that Buddy influenced Rex Ryan to bring those bounties to Baltimore.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hey Roger...
    Posts
    3,082
    Good research Flippy. You may be onto something.

    and its another good reason to love the Steelers. Guys like Lambert and Harrison dont need no bounties.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

  5. #5
    If this post is in jest please excuse my naivete, but every defense that has been worth anything at any level of football has had some sort of bounty system. Maybe not to completely maim a player for $10K, but if you hit someone you want to hurt them. Although it may not be politically correct we were rewarded for putting star players out of the game since I played Pop Warner and it continued through High school and college. I'm not talking about cheap shots, but clean hits between the whistles that put a player out were encouraged and even recognized in team meetings and film session. I'm still not sure why this has garnered so much attention. That being said we were also taught to protect ourselves and play with are heads on a swivel because other teams were looking to do the same thing. That why football is such a great sport, and if you don't want to hurt the other guy you probably shouldn't be playing. I equate it to boxing, if you don't want to punch the other guy in the mouth and knock him out you probably won't be a very good boxer. Violent full contact sports are meant to be played violently and the goal is to beat the hell out of your opponent.

  6. #6
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,989
    Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    If this post is in jest please excuse my naivete, but every defense that has been worth anything at any level of football has had some sort of bounty system. Maybe not to completely maim a player for $10K, but if you hit someone you want to hurt them. Although it may not be politically correct we were rewarded for putting star players out of the game since I played Pop Warner and it continued through High school and college. I'm not talking about cheap shots, but clean hits between the whistles that put a player out were encouraged and even recognized in team meetings and film session. I'm still not sure why this has garnered so much attention. That being said we were also taught to protect ourselves and play with are heads on a swivel because other teams were looking to do the same thing. That why football is such a great sport, and if you don't want to hurt the other guy you probably shouldn't be playing. I equate it to boxing, if you don't want to punch the other guy in the mouth and knock him out you probably won't be a very good boxer. Violent full contact sports are meant to be played violently and the goal is to beat the hell out of your opponent.
    I think it has garnered attention because the words "with clean hard hits" and "between the whistles" were never mentioned. The accusations were always made to sound as if the bounty would be given regardless of the "method" of elimination of a player from the game. I don't think any football player in the NFL has a problem with hitting as hard as possible or getting hit hard if the hit is within the boundaries of the rules of the game.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,697
    Also, when you're talking 10k... How many of these hits were intentionally to the knee or head? I have no problem hitting a guy hard and causing pain. I do have a problem when guys go after knees.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

    Earn Some Bitcoins


    PBMining

    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

    I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,372
    Griffin specifically called out the Rams vs Saints for them playing dirty after the whistle and taking some cheap shots.

    I don' think he was complaining at all about the violence of football. He even made the point of saying he's fine with taking a hit. He also called himself out for only having played 2 games, but made the point the Saints were different in that they played clean and within the whistles.

    Shannahan backed him up and he even commented how the refs let the game get out of hand.

    And I suspect Jeff Fisher has coached his team to push the limits of what they can get away with. RG3 said he doesn't want to bring this up in the context of bounties. But it is interesting Jeff Fisher is in the coaching tree of the bounty scandal.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Also, when you're talking 10k... How many of these hits were intentionally to the knee or head? I have no problem hitting a guy hard and causing pain. I do have a problem when guys go after knees.
    If you have to block or tackle a guy who is larger than you you have to go at the legs, and the knees are part of the legs. When you are undersized, to be successful you have to shoot low, and helmet to helmet happens. I think the NFL blew it out of proportion. Yes, I would consider Jeff Fisher and his pal Chuck Cecil border line dirty, but that is part of the game. Protecting stars might be good for business, but it's bad for the game IMO...but that's the way I learned the game.

  10. #10
    And wasn't Albert Haynesworth being coached by Fisher when he stepped on the face of Andre Gurode, the Dallas center?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •