Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh oh, as some predicted

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Did he wear shoulder pads and a helmet? Probably not. Did he get hit? No.

Did he do resistance training? Probably.

It's not debatable though.. Anyone that has played football and especially wrestling will tell you.... You can get into good shape, lift weights, run/bike, resistance training, core training, high intensity workout, etc....

They all work but it's not the same. I've done all of the above, but the first couple weeks of football practice was always hell. 2 a days... soreness, etc. Wrestling... well, thats even worse from a conditioning perspective.
    Well guess what? I played football too, and I am also a certified trainer, and I will guarantee you that Wallace does very sport specific training to simulate real action that occurs on the football field. It's cool that you played sports at your high school but to compare your training and experience to what Mike Wallace does during his off season program is far fetched to say the least. A muscle pull is normally caused by a muscular imbalance, just looking at Wallaces running form and the way his feet angle outward like a duck when he runs it's safe to assume that the pull or strain was caused by a physiological imbalance as opposed to something football related.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    Well guess what? I played football too, and I am also a certified trainer, and I will guarantee you that Wallace does very sport specific training to simulate real action that occurs on the football field. It's cool that you played sports at your high school but to compare your training and experience to what Mike Wallace does during his off season program is far fetched to say the least. A muscle pull is normally caused by a muscular imbalance, just looking at Wallaces running form and the way his feet angle outward like a duck when he runs it's safe to assume that the pull or strain was caused by a physiological imbalance as opposed to something football related.

I was unaware that ducks could run that fast. Learn something everyday on the "Planet"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I was unaware that ducks could run that fast. Learn something everyday on the "Planet"
    Quack, Quack, glad I could teach you something!

Administrator

User Info Menu

At the end of the day, the injury could happen to anyone regardless of training camp. I've been around personal trainers my whole life, workout regularly myself, I've seen these professional athlete workout routines... it's no secret.. it's not top secret information.

It's fine to train w/ personal trainers and things like that. I don't and probably never will but I understand why people do. These athletes are always looking for an edge and Tim Shaw has a good rep.

With that being said, you still need to train and prepare by practicing the sport you're about to play in realistic scenarios. That's just common sense.

Do boxers not spar?

Do Olympic swimmers not swim?

Do wrestlers not wrestle?

Do UFC athletes not fight?

Do runners not run?

I think we all know the answer to these. Football is no different.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

The resistance he wasn't getting in Florida was from a defender that was playing him hard and really trying to stop him from getting where he wants to go. I'm sure he had other athletes attempting to offer resistance, but they probably weren't NFL trained cornerbacks that have been playing defense their entire football lives. That's what Mike missed and no amount training can simulate the movements that you may have to make during an NFL game during a one-on-one drill in pads or without pads. You need to be getting pushed and bumped by potentially 1, 2 or 3 guys on one play. You may have to break a route off quicker than expected due a 240 pound linebacker bearing down on you. There is no way to simulate a defense that doesn't want you to go where you want go until you step on the field.

I'm sure Mike worked hard and if all he had to do was run in a straight line he may never pull a groin or hammy. Once you have to start running real routes to avoid a good NFL defender then the dynamics of what you need to do physically change and that's when strains, pulls and sprains occur.

He's injured, he may have been injured regardless of hold out, the hold out had very little to do with it, missing live football scrimmages and games probably had more to do with it than anything.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 09-20-2012 at 12:41 PM.

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I will point out that while Wallace is injured and we are wondering whether he will play on the Sunday; the player that the Steelers did reward with a big contract is practicing, will play and leads the team with 11 receptions. Appears to me that they made the right investment.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    He's injured, he may have been injured regardless of hold out, the hold out had very little to do with it, missing live football scrimmages and games probably had more to do with it than anything.

Pappy
    You lost me there a bit.... If, "missing live football scrimmages and games probably had more to do with it than anything", then didn't the hold-out have EVERYTHING to do with it?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    Trainers crack me up; they think they have it all figured out and then make statements like this. No training puts you in football shape other than playing football. How many times have we seen players, who are supposedly training like mad men, but not playing football, come in and get hurt? It happens all the time. Remember when Chris Johnson held out last year? He came in late and absolutely sucked since he wasn't practicing actually playing football. You cannot simulated football conditions if you are not actually practicing PLAYING football. No crack bang whiz trainer can make up for not playing football. They like to think they can (to hype up their value) but, alas, they cannot.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Is Wallace injured? Yes.

Did that have anything to do with his holdout? I guess you can think so, but there is no evidence to support that.

You could just as easily blame the groin injury that Isaac Redman had on Mike Wallace's holdout as well...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Trainers crack me up; they think they have it all figured out and then make statements like this. No training puts you in football shape other than playing football. How many times have we seen players, who are supposedly training like mad men, but not playing football, come in and get hurt? It happens all the time. Remember when Chris Johnson held out last year? He came in late and absolutely sucked since he wasn't practicing actually playing football. You cannot simulated football conditions if you are not actually practicing PLAYING football. No crack bang whiz trainer can make up for not playing football. They like to think they can (to hype up their value) but, alas, they cannot.
    It's funny, because you crack me up, and most of the forum. Your opinions are hilarious. I don't have to hype my value as a trainer, because I didn't become certified to sell my services. I have a real career, but I wanted to learn some of the new training techniques because I coach in my free time and wanted to put together some very sport specific training programs for my teams. I played 12 years of organized tackle football, and have never had an injury due to lack of contact. And you can simulate and replicate football conditions while training. Maybe your high school doesn't have a good enough trainer to show you how.