Thread: Mendenhall to Begin Taking Contact...

Legend

User Info Menu

Mendenhall to Begin Taking Contact...

Among other news from Tomlin's press conference. Also, Lolley thinks that Harrison will be out until after bye but that Troy has a chance to play in Oakland.[URL="http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/"]

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

I figured Harrison would be out. I almost hope they keep Troy out this week so we don't have to deal with "strains and pulls" all season long.

I'd hold out Mendy until after the bye too. It's a long season and we need this team peaking in Decemeber and January not September.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It's a long season and we need this team peaking in Decemeber and January not September.
    Agree 100% Ovi, which is why I'm not so concerned about week 1.

Assuming that we don't fall so far out that we can't come back, this team by December will look much different than the one we saw last week. A healthy Harrison is as big a difference maker as any D in the league can get.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I would like to see Mendenhall get a few opportunities @Oakland, just to become acclimated to live game conditions before gradually shifting a larger number of carries over to him...
    He could get a few yards, get hit a little and practice at full go during the bye week...

Legend

User Info Menu

Are teams even allowed to make any real contact in NFL practices anymore under these new pansy CBA provisions? Seems like everything is a glorified walkthrough once training camp breaks.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Are teams even allowed to make any real contact in NFL practices anymore under these new pansy CBA provisions? Seems like everything is a glorified walkthrough once training camp breaks.
    I'm pretty certain that the number of days they are allowed in full pads is limited by the CBA. I think the standard practice attire is "shells"

Perhaps someone who knows for sure can confirm

Legend

User Info Menu

Rashard Mendenhall Closing in on Return; Other Injury News

by Steelblitz

As everyone knows Rashard Mendenhall tore his ACL in a week 17 win last season. During the pre-season the Steelers were hoping Mendenhall would be able to return during the 2012 season, period. Then things got more optimistic as the Steelers planned to have him back by the mid-point of the season. By the time week 1 rolled around some thought Mendenhall may have had a shot at playing in the game, he didn’t. However, as he continues to progress it looks as though he could very well be back in week 5.

The Steelers have the Bye in week 4 which will give Mendenhall about two and a half weeks to get ready. He has began taking contact in practice and coaches have been praising him for his play so far. Adrian Peterson, who is also recovering from a major knee injury, has returned with positive results. Mendenhall is hoping to do the same.

With the Steelers issues in the run game they are hoping Mendenhall can return soon and provide a spark for the offense. As of now the Steelers have three of there best players out due to injury in Mendenhall, All-Pro linebacker James Harrison, and All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu. With, a hopefully, easy match-up against the Oakland Raiders in week 3 and the Bye in week 4 it seems likely that all three will sit on Sunday and rest for the week 5 match-up back in Pittsburgh against the Philadelphia Eagles. The Steelers, of course, could have other plans however.

Other Injury News:

Troy Polamalu and James Harrison missed practice, which was expected. Also missing were Heath Miller, Jonathan Dwyer, Marcus Gilbert, Emmanuel Sanders, and Mike Wallace. Stevenson Sylvester and Mike Adams were each limited in practice which is a good sign for Sylvester who has been out since part way through training camp.

Gilbert, Dwyer, Wallace, Sanders, and Miller are all expected to play Sunday and were likely just getting time off early in the week.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/rashard_mendenhall_closing_in_on_return_other_inju ry_news/11759302[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO opinion, Mendy may have made himself some money in the first couple weeks of the season. With Dwyer and Redman looking underwhelming if he comes back and puts together solid performances he will make the Steelers think real hard about letting him go. However, IMO RBs really only have so much leverage since they are probably the easiest position to get talent in at from the college ranks.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Mendy's a smart guy, he's been studying Dwyer's running style, so he can cut his likelihood of getting injured.