1. Co-hosting Redundant Thoughts this week will be the lovely Emma Watson:
2. The Steelers opener saw them returning to the place where they lost their last game last year. The Steelers home opener features the QB who dealt them that last loss.
and how …
3. Based off of last week’s performance (from each team in this case) I wasn’t expecting much from this game. I got to the sports bar and settled in for what I thought would be a long day.
4. Is Ben an elite QB, gah, who knows? But I have noticed that when the sports commentators are talking about the elite QBs they rarely mention Ben. But as in the case last week, “beating Ben” is typically referred to as a solid win for the likes of Peyton Manning. It seems that Ben will forever fall short of the elite but always be too cool to hang out with Matt Schaub … but then again, who isn’t, right?
5. Election year …
Wait, did I leave the stove on? …
6. The Patriots lose, the Ravens lose, the Cowboys lose and the world makes much more sense on this Tuesday morning other than the fact that they all lost to the likes of the Cardinals, Seahawks and Mike Vick.
I hear Paul Ryan is quite the Packers fan.
7. What’s up with the yellow shoes? You know who else notices feet?
8. At least the horse is already dead and feels nothing from my continued hitting it with this here stick … and I will continue to complain until this unjust travesty is righted:
Damn the early games if they run long.Schadenfreude has nothing for me when the Steelers are on another station. Yes, if I have to watch another game it might as well be any one in which the Ravens are losing but still. I hate being late, just like the elite QB, Eli Manning:
9. They finally cut over (after a commercial break of course) to show Santonio Holmes “jetting” into the Steelers endzone with 4:14 left in the first half. The announcers (Nantz and Simms) were quite enamored with the Jets drive. You know SanAntonio was enjoying that TD …
10. Ok, the replacement refs are awful, my kingdom for the real refs! Forgive me Eddie Hoc, I will never make fun of you again.
troll much? …
… ok, maybe one more time. Let’s see … Google Image Search for “Ed Hochuli funny” and …11. Did the refs realize that they were ALLOWED to let a play go without throwing a flag?
Close enough …
12. And it was so darn cute the way they would conference and seek consensus on every call, slowing the pace of the game to a crawl and boring us to death.
13. The Jets went from a long 7 point drive to a not-quite-as-long 3 point drive to not-doing-a-darn-thing the rest of the game. This is the DLB defense I am accustomed to seeing. I thought I heard Simms say that towards the middle of the fourth quarter that a Jets receiver had not had a catch since the 1st quarter. DLB seems to do that … take a couple drives to make the necessary adjustments and lock it down. Unless of course the QB goes into a no-huddle which Mark Sanchez has no hope of ever running consistently.
See … they put her to sleep. Emma is sleeping now … undoubtedly dreaming of Ron.
14. This was a quality victory that the Steelers should feel good about. Their defense was playing well without a couple of stars and the offense was able to run the ball and even managed to “block” the other team’s players. It was almost like the Steelers had an offensive line again.
15. At one point early in the second quarter I turned to my brother and asked what the odds were on our defense both stopping the Jets on third down and not committing a penalty.
16. Heath Miller made his presence known. I’d criticize Haley for not featuring him more prominently in the game plan if the Steelers had an offensive line. As it is, the guy needs to help out in the trenches.
17. Speaking of making an appearance in the passing game let’s welcome back Mike Wallace from his long hiatus, making a catch that was simultaneously awkward and beautiful at the same time.
18. Tebow should make himself useful on the sideline by playing some cowbell. That way nobody could accuse the Jets of needing more cowbell.
19. Let it be known that the citizens of Steeler Nation readily acknowledge the terrible spot that initially gave them the first down. But Rex Ryan is still an overrated, blowhard windbag.
Hey, my mom tells me I am hilarious!
20. Did you see the Steelers kicker auditioning for the Pittsburgh MLS team?
21. It was my understanding that the Dolphins beat Oakland by running on them. If the Dolphins can hang 35 points on the Raiders, the Steelers have no excuse other than playing down to their competition which they NEVER do right? RIGHT?
22. You’ll notice he didn’t throw a pick.23. Discipline might be this team’s Achilles heel. 3rd and 33?
24. With the amount of flags in this game it was particularly annoying to see SanAntonio Holmes whining for a flag on every play.
25. The Jets blinked in this game. The Steelers were taking every hit and dishing out more. Redman was getting some yards after first contact, they out-physicaled the Jets.
26. Simms also mentioned that the 3rd quarter drive was the longest Steelers drive in 5 years at 10:13.
27. And of course Peyton Manning goes out the week after playing lights-out against the Steelers and throws 10,000 picks against the Falcons like he is drunk or something.28. Lulz: http://cavemancircus.com/2012/09/17/...os/#more-15278
29. Perspective: I spend every week of every season waiting for the other shoe to drop, call me a hopeless optimist. I see the starters dropping like flies or walking the sideline in street clothes in week 1, the Oline shuffling around in ever new and interesting formations and have a hard time believing that this will be anything but a long year. However, this is a significant win in that it shows that the coaching staff did do its job this week. The Steelers that were able to play were ready to play. Lets hope that this trend can continue on the left coast this week.