Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Time For A Change?

  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,391
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Since when is a 4-2-5 formation revolutionary? It's called a standard nickel defense, and teams have been using in for decades. We tend to rotate pass rushers in and out to keep everyone fresh, so just because Woodley and Carter were on the sideline and Hood, Hampton, Heyward and Keisel were all in at once, that makes this something new? Okey dokey...
    But Lebeau usually goes light on the ends with LBs. I've always thought we should go bigger up front in the nickle to get more of a push and handle the run better. I like the idea of having a guy the size of Keisel and Heyward on the ends because sometimes Woodley/Harrison while great at what they do, are often going to get swallowed up by the ends.

  2. #12
    Pro Bowler skyhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    But Lebeau usually goes light on the ends with LBs. I've always thought we should go bigger up front in the nickle to get more of a push and handle the run better. I like the idea of having a guy the size of Keisel and Heyward on the ends because sometimes Woodley/Harrison while great at what they do, are often going to get swallowed up by the ends.
    They got more pressure on Sanchez WITH Wood and Carter especially after the 1st Q. Unrelated observation: I don't think Keisel has really showed up yet this year.

    But yes, the 4-2-5 is a nickel D and we have seen it for the last 20 years under Lebeau. And they have used Harrison and Wood on the outside. They just get rid of fat ass on non running downs. I don't think definitions really matter, sometimes even in the 4-2-5 there is only ONE downed lineman and everyone else is standing up and moving around.

  3. #13
    Pro Bowler skyhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,019
    And I do think Woodley and Harrison get swallowed up by the ends more these days because the rules have clearly changed to slow them down. They are allowed to hold more. If not for that they would each be getting 15 sacks per year and in the passing oriented league there's no way the NFL is going to allow that.

  4. #14
    At the site that is not to be named Tomlin talks about The Big Nickel package they choose to use against the Jets, that it provides versatility for them and allows them to match up from a personal standpoint and have a big body presence. He also says that they can use 3 corners and 1 safety in that base package. Tomlin claims there are more packages on the way for the season, because they have to have a variety. Good read encouraging info.

  5. #15
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,567
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    And I do think Woodley and Harrison get swallowed up by the ends more these days because the rules have clearly changed to slow them down. They are allowed to hold more. If not for that they would each be getting 15 sacks per year and in the passing oriented league there's no way the NFL is going to allow that.
    That is because they are both bullrushers who get into the body of the OT. More and more that OT can hold them without a penalty. As we see with Starks and some of our own players it is much harder to deal with a speed rusher off the end. Holds are much more obvious and get called more. IMO I think in upcoming drafts if we are staying with the 3-4 we need to get some real speed guys for the outside rush. Plus the speed probably would also help in pass coverage.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by TD386Steel View Post
    At the site that is not to be named Tomlin talks about The Big Nickel package they choose to use against the Jets, that it provides versatility for them and allows them to match up from a personal standpoint and have a big body presence. He also says that they can use 3 corners and 1 safety in that base package. Tomlin claims there are more packages on the way for the season, because they have to have a variety. Good read encouraging info.
    That site does nothing more than parrot information that real reporters post on twitter.

    Tomlin mentioned in his PC that the big nickel was meant to provide some help against the run. The first time I saw it was third and medium - maybe 3 or 5 to go, something like that. It makes some sense -- keeping Casey in there to clog the middle while counting on a rush from the rest. I'm surprised to see that McClendon is not a part of that package - he's among the more effective inside pass rushers on the team.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    That site does nothing more than parrot information that real reporters post on twitter.

    Tomlin mentioned in his PC that the big nickel was meant to provide some help against the run. The first time I saw it was third and medium - maybe 3 or 5 to go, something like that. It makes some sense -- keeping Casey in there to clog the middle while counting on a rush from the rest. I'm surprised to see that McClendon is not a part of that package - he's among the more effective inside pass rushers on the team.
    I agree about McClendon and like Hood and him inside but keep Woodley on the field as well.

  8. #18
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,634
    Quote Originally Posted by TD386Steel View Post
    I agree about McClendon and like Hood and him inside but keep Woodley on the field as well.
    Yeah, I'd sit Casey and Carter in most nickel situations. Use McLendon and Hood inside, Woodley on one end, and Keisel/Heyward at the other end.

  9. #19
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,391
    I'd rotate the 4 bigs. But I think you'd get the most flexibility with Woodley and Keisel on the ends because one is a big OLB and the other is athletic enough to be an OLB.

    I'd rotate a lot the way the Giants and Eagles do. Those teams get a lot of pressure out of their big guys because they're always rotating them.

  10. #20
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,269
    It's nice to talk about this but its for naught if the QB goes no huddle and we can't get the personnel on the field. Just sayin'
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •